Sponsored by:

On Track Financial Responsibility

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 09:40 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
Its a small world and what goes around comes around is my point here.
You don't belong on a track with that attitude....
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 994 Likes on 595 Posts

The previously mentioned weekend at Sears Pt was pretty brutal.

There were 2 car-car contact events and lots of $$$ of damage there as well as a handful of those who did agricultural experiments which looked to be very expensive.

I disagree on your points above for DE. In racing no $ changes hands, but in DE if you think you are a hero and want to dive bomb me in a corner and hit me, you better be ready to cough up the dough to fix my car or I'm coming after you.
You need to take up a new hobby and to read the waiver you sign at every event.

I started DE when I was in high school in a borrowed 914. Are you going to go after a kid like me (back in the day)?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by winders
+918
Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Its a small world and what goes around comes around is my point here.
We all make little mistakes every lap.. Usually they are innocuous, or hopefully the other guy is spatially aware and can avoid your “moment”. But every now and then…. the stars align. That little slip on the brake pedal puts you into the oil that the guy before dropped, the guy ahead is not paying attention, turns into you and you make contact….

I’ve never had an incident in 10 years of DE (and hope I never will) but anyone that has done this long enough can see how it can really happen to anyone….

Every accident is partially the fault of both drivers, if you want to start imposing financial penalties (especially with the financial disparity I see at some of these events) you need to have a better judge and jury than “he said she said”.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:05 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
If you are driving stupidly/aggressively enough in a DE to clip someone else and somehow don't think you should (a) pay for your mistake (b) offer in some way to offset the loss you have created (even if you cant afford to totally fix the carbon whatever) you don't belong in a DE. My point of coughing up dough doesn't need to be cash it can be time (help fix the car, offer to in some way offset the issue you caused), or something else.

All contact incidents I have ever seen where one person clearly did something stupid, the other party has gone right to the other person and offered to pay/help/offset the issue they caused.

Its a DE not a race, contact shouldn't happen and if it does then you should man up and fix the problem you caused (if its a clear at fault issue). The waiver protects legal issues, this is an honorability issue.

Last edited by audipwr1; 06-03-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
You need to take up a new hobby and to read the waiver you sign at every event.

I started DE when I was in high school in a borrowed 914. Are you going to go after a kid like me (back in the day)?
I would hope if you clipped someone you would have walked right up to them, apologized and offered on the weekends to help fix the car and someone shouldn't have to go after you for anything. Its called honor and responsibility, not always checkbook size. Is that something you don't have?
Old 06-03-2014, 11:35 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

I would hope if you clipped someone you would have walked right up to them, apologized and offered on the weekends to help fix the car and someone shouldn't have to go after you for anything. Its called honor and responsibility, not always checkbook size. Is that something you don't have?
Lighten up Francis. Everyone, including you, are entitled to an opinion here.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So you are changing from money to honor?

You go to the track on your own and of your own means. You leave the track the same way. No matter what happens, you don't expect anyone to pay for your car.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:09 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

All this being said -- I really would like to find a liability policy to protect the family.

Honor, gentleman's agreement, track liability forms.....

I'm sure someone who's unhappy could make my life very miserable should something
unfortunate happen on track regardless of at fault.

In a lot of cases I'm not worried about the other drivers -- be it a 914 or a 918, or even a 991 Cup -- it's their families or estates that scare me.

I have worked very hard to get where I am -- I don't want to see it all evaporate in the midst
of a lawsuit.

So while I'm not as concerned about my car on track -- I do care about my family finances.

Mike
Old 06-04-2014, 05:32 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 911 Likes on 445 Posts

You go to the track on your own and of your own means. You leave the track the same way. No matter what happens, you don't expect anyone to pay for your car.
You can't say it better than that!
Old 06-04-2014, 08:53 AM
Krokodil
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

So you are changing from money to honor?

+1 (again) - I have been hit three times on track. On two of the three occasions the other driver offered to pay to repair my car and I refused (material amounts of money, not just a gesture).

The gentleman, and very good friend, seemed annoyed that I would not take his money. However, when I explained that I would not be in a position to pay for his car if I were reponsible for it being totalled, etc. he sort of understood.

IMO, even offering to pay for minor repairs sets a very, very bad precedent.

Last year we had a club member accept payment for repairs following an incident. In the very next event he caused an incident that totalled a fellow racers car. Now, I do not know whether he paid for the totalled car (none of my business), but Karma certainly would insist he should, but up to what limit? The amount he accepted when he was hit or the full replacement value of a destroyed 987 race car?

This past weekend I caused what could have been a major incident. I made a mistake and nearly collected a real 996 RSR. There was no contact, but only because those around me were heads up. I like to beleive I am a driver that does not usually make stupid mistakes, but this one was (late braking on a dirty part of the race track). It was 100% my fault.

However, while I would apologize profusely, and would likely buy the owner a nice bottle of whisky, I would not feel obligated in any way to pay for his damage. I am not in a position to do so. If I am expected to sell everything and stop racing for ever to fix your car then then I prefer that we not be on track together. And I do not think you should quesiton my honor, that is ridiculous, and frankly quite insulting.

This should not be different for DE or racing. If you think it should, then stay home with your honor intact (geez, that honor comment is offensive).

Cheers,

Last edited by Krokodil; 06-04-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:58 AM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,393 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Pros don't pay for each other's cars and sometimes the hit is "intentional". Maldonado would be up to his eyeballs in debt with the number of F1 cars he has collected.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:04 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

I think the scenario that the OP is worried about isn't so much to do with the cars.
Let's say Something happens at the track and it's deemed his fault.
The incident results in the death of another driver.
The driver's wife doesn't care about the "Honor Code" because she has the mouths
To feed and now the life insurance policy and umbrella policy that should be there
"Just in case" denies the claim on the basis of the deceased's participation in a speed event.
Now, she hires an attorney and they come after the OP because the goPro video clearly shows him at fault for the loss of life.

I know that my wife would in turn kill me if we had to sell our home and clear out the 401k's and the kid's college funds for something like this. In fact, if she stumbles on this thread I'll probably never be allowed on the track again.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:12 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Every time I take a car on track I'm prepared to walk away (hopefully uninjured) from the car. I'm not prepared to pay for a car that costs 10 times what I paid for mine. If someone is spending more than they can afford to lose on a toy, I think it's up to them to not put that toy in harms way.

Thankfully here there's no way we'd be on the hook for medical costs.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:27 PM
9972RS
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

so, what's the deal with an existing life insurance policy? i.e., will a policy be null and void if something tragic were to happen at a DE?

Quick Reply: On Track Financial Responsibility