Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motive Brake Bleeder - Replace old plastic fill tube!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:59 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Motive Brake Bleeder - Replace old plastic fill tube!

Just a heads up.
I've owned my Motive brake bleeder for many years now and have successfully bleed my brakes with it for the past 7 years or so, until today!

While bleeding my brakes, after finally finishing up some winter projects, the clear plastic fill tube coming off the canister cracked and blew with 4 to 5 psi after closing a bleeder valve.

Needless to say that made quite a mess. If your lines look at all foggy and / or have some age to them, best they be replaced!
Must have been a 3 to 4 foot arc of Super Blue spewing out of my engine bay as seen from the rear drivers side...good times.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:27 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm surprised you made it seven years. Mine cracked the hose within 3 years as have 2 other people I know personally. It's a common weak point on an otherwise good design. The hose rotater thingy option may help, as I suspect some of it is due to stress when screwing on the M/C adapter without it.

-Mike
Old 06-01-2014, 01:24 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plastic tube ages from exposure to the brake fluid and from time. While the swivel joint is a great option to have.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Who puts fluid in the big container? I always top off the brake reservoir and then use the Bleeder for air pressure only. Down side is I have to removed/unscrew the hose from the reservoir every other caliper but everything stays much cleaner.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:18 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Who puts fluid in the big container? I always top off the brake reservoir and then use the Bleeder for air pressure only. Down side is I have to removed/unscrew the hose from the reservoir every other caliper but everything stays much cleaner.
Kinda defeats the purpose of having one don'tcha think?
Old 06-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No. I'm just using it to supply air pressure for 1-man BLEEDING. Plus I don't have to clean out the tank each year to put in fresh brake fluid.

I'm not the only one who does this. I don't know of anyone that puts fluid in the Power Bleeder. It's just makes everything more messy.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

How can you do a flush (not a simple bleed) without filling the container???????
I've always pumped fluid.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me too . . . after the first several times cleaning out the Motive container
and tubing I switched to the no fluid in the container method.
AND, I only use about 5psi to bleed/flush . . . works just fine.
Regards,
Old 06-01-2014, 04:10 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

If I feel like it, I will mightvac out the reservoir, but I usually just put a quart/liter in the container and bleed until it's empty. At the end I will pour out whatever didn't come out into the reservoir. Put the bleeder back together, put the end in plastic bag and back into the box it came in and I'm done. Works well with ATE TYP 200 and bleeding 3-4 times a year. Never have had an issue with the brake hydraulics.

I used to rinse it with water and leave it open to dry out, but it just wasn't worth it. It stays clean enough through regular use and storing it carefully.

-Mike
Old 06-01-2014, 04:29 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts

That's not really a down side considering there's less mess to deal with, and now it sounds like the hose needs replacement if you run it wet as well - one more benefit to running it dry. I think the manual says to bleed 250cc per caliper bleeder which can usually bleed 3 calipers before having to refill the reservoir on a 996. It only takes a minute or so to refill the reservoir and re-pressurize. And using a mityvac to drain the reservoir first is a great idea so fresh fluid runs through right away.
Old 06-01-2014, 06:11 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I've always used it as a dry pressure system, and just re-fill the reservoir between wheels. No muss, no fuss, no waste, no clean up. Had it for many years, and no problem.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:12 PM
surlynkid
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

No. I'm just using it to supply air pressure for 1-man BLEEDING. Plus I don't have to clean out the tank each year to put in fresh brake fluid. I'm not the only one who does this. I don't know of anyone that puts fluid in the Power Bleeder. It's just makes everything more messy.
I just use it for dry pressure but go to 10-15psi.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by surlynkid
I just use it for dry pressure but go to 10-15psi.
Yep that's what I do, I don't put fluid in the bleeder. Use a turkey baster (don't tell the wife! LOL) to suck out all the fluid in the reservoir, fill reservoir up, pump up to 10psi, bleed a corner, fill it up, bleed a corner, etc. Did a full bleed on the wife's MINI yesterday.

On my GT3 I normally just purge a few oz per corner after each DE event, and then top off the reservoir, will end up with a full bleed at least every 6mo or so.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:30 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We could probably have a class action of all of us whose hoses eventually burst, and then upgraded to the swivel cap and use the unit dry. Turkey basters last basically forever.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:00 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Interesting, I've always filled the Motive canister and used a turkey baster to remove fluid from the reservoir prior to bleeding. Up until yesterday I never really had issue with a major mess but may try to dry bleed in the future.

Quick Reply: Motive Brake Bleeder - Replace old plastic fill tube!