Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Yep plus no oxidation issues.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:57 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
It's possible on the street without breaking the law, but you have to condense the process.

Here's a video I did on bedding in brakes. In the video I never go above 60 mph, and I'm able to get a nice pad transfer layer. The higher the temperature threshold of the pad, the more heat you have to pour into them to get them to stick to the disc face.

The idea when doing the bed-in at lower speeds is to condense the entire process and make sure the brakes are cooling down as little as possible between stops. In most cases, people don't get their brakes hot enough during the process. They start to smell the pads or see a little smoke, potentially freak out, and quit.

Going faster just makes the process quicker. A stop from 110mph down to 30mph is changing far more kinetic energy to heat vs. a stop from 60mph down to 30mph. You can still ramp the heat up enough with stops from 60mph, but you'll just need more cycles with less time between. Hopefully that makes sense.
I did this too. Calculating the lower speed ranges is slightly tricky as kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the speed (ie 100-50 uses twice as much energy as 50 - 0 in a vacuum), but there is less air rush cooling the pads at lower speeds, so the ratio might be 1.8 to 1 or so.

Can't remember what I worked out exactly but on an empty section of freeway my first attempt still didn't get them hot enough to whiten the yellows, so I did it again. Keeping a close eye on the speedo while basically riding a rollercoaster left me the most car sick I've been since I was a kid BTW (and I have no problem with Autocross, skidpans, track etc). It did the job though the second time around. The Pagid RS 19/29 yellows are endurance pads and I think you'd want to either have a very tight track or be on it by yourself if hoping to bed them in properly there.

Last edited by 996tnz; 06-04-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:27 PM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone!
Man I love this forum. The wide range of answers, from technical to anecdotal to video to alternative product to humorous was exactly what I needed. I'm going to give it a shot on one of the highways keeping the principles learned here in mind. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 650 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
I did this too. Calculating the lower speed ranges is slightly tricky as kinetic energy is proportional to the square of the speed (ie 100-50 uses twice as much energy as 50 - 0 in a vacuum), but there is less air rush cooling the the pads at lower speeds, so the ratio might be 1.8 to 1 or so.

Can't remember what I worked out exactly but on an empty section of freeway my first attempt still didn't get them hot enough to whiten the yellows, so I did it again. Keeping a close eye on the speedo while basically riding a rollercoaster left the most car sick I've been since I was a kid BTW (and I have no problem with Autocross, skidpans, track etc). It did the job though the second time around. The Pagid RS 19/29 yellows are endurance pads and I think you'd want to either have a very tight track or be on it by yourself if hoping to bed them in properly there.
Yes, correct on the speed issue. The obvious solution is that your car needs more power so you can get back up to speed more quickly! Well, at least you can use that argument to try and convince the wife....my new turbo's are purely for safety reasons honey!

Seriously though, getting the job done in my Z06 is far, far easier than it is in my Miata! You're almost instantly back to 60mph vs. eating a sandwich while slowly creeping back to speed after braking.

Thanks everyone!
Man I love this forum. The wide range of answers, from technical to anecdotal to video to alternative product to humorous was exactly what I needed. I'm going to give it a shot on one of the highways keeping the principles learned here in mind. I'll let you all know how it goes!
Good luck and be safe.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 06-16-2023, 04:34 PM
Luxdecor
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found best bed sheet on this website: https://luxdecorcollection.com/collections/bed-sheets

We are excited to this offer customers a wide variety of high-quality bedding collections. This goal is to provide you with the perfect combination of style, comfort, and durability.

You'll love this bedding collection! These is top products, including bed sheets, fitted sheets, bed skirts, blankets, pillows, pillow covers, mattress toppers, duvet covers, quilts, and comforters.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:35 PM
Mike Roblin
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 312 Posts

^ lololololol 😂
Old 06-16-2023, 06:28 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 970 Likes on 649 Posts

One reason I love PFCs. No bedding. Just put them in and go race.
Old 06-16-2023, 06:45 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Or... just have the rotors a pads machine bedded - https://prosystembrakes.com/bedding/
Old 06-16-2023, 09:45 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,151 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
The basic idea is to get some real heat in them. Some hard braking as best as you can (you don't need to come to a stop), and then some lighter applications followed by cool down..

The main things is to get a stink from the brakes, and then you can do the lighter applications and cool down.

You won't hurt them. If you do it right they are bedded in. If you don't they just aren't bedded in enough. If this is a street car and you find the brakes squealing after a while one or two hard brake applications will do the trick.. Really the same principal.
+1,000!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-16-2023, 09:48 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 922 Likes on 562 Posts

Am I the only one that noticed this is a 9 year old thread that was bumped by spam?
The following users liked this post:
stownsen914 (06-17-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 10:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,151 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Am I the only one that noticed this is a 9 year old thread that was bumped by spam?
Killjoy!
Old 06-16-2023, 10:29 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 528 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I think Mike Roblin actually beat you to that by a little bit.

"You'll love this bedding collection! These is top products..."
Damn. I gots to get me some!
Maybe it'll help me with my brakes.
ProCoach (06-16-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 12:59 AM
JayinToronto
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

OP here, I was surprised to get an email notifying me of a response to this thread. Hilarious it was a bot who kicked things off again. Unfortunately I don't need new sheets.
The following 2 users liked this post by JayinToronto:
911therapy (06-17-2023), LZRD GRN (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 08:49 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 297 Likes on 188 Posts

A good night's sleep could in bedding your new brake pads, I totally get the relevance. Somebody give Luxdecor a medal!
Nowanker (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:24 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxdecor
I found best bed sheet on this website: https://luxdecorcollection.com/collections/bed-sheets

We are excited to this offer customers a wide variety of high-quality bedding collections. This goal is to provide you with the perfect combination of style, comfort, and durability.

You'll love this bedding collection! These is top products, including bed sheets, fitted sheets, bed skirts, blankets, pillows, pillow covers, mattress toppers, duvet covers, quilts, and comforters.
Do PFC or Pagid offer Egyptian cotton high thread count pads?
The following 2 users liked this post by Coochas:
KNSBrakes (06-19-2023), RennPart (06-19-2023)

Quick Reply: Bedding in new brake pads - impossible?