Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA CR Rules changes/revisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:26 PM
bsztanko
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Why exactly do you guys give a shiiiit about points? Lap times count, all else is Bull.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:34 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
Why exactly do you guys give a shiiiit about points? Lap times count, all else is Bull.
I am all about lap times and lap records, as RennPoints will show. That said, and in the absence of any financial purse, the points race and possible championship somehow help to justify the insane amount of money I squander on this sport. The points actually add an element of strategy that I enjoy.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:36 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
Track was newly resurfaced and greasy as all get out. I was drifting through the corner in front of the grandstands on old tires.
Hey, now yer ready for a Boxster
Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bsztanko
I want the points so I can have a cool avatar.

Actually, I'm also all about lap times and doing my best to keep up with the big boys in my little car. I can't afford a Nat run anyway.

In some cases, a Nat is meaningless and a function of money spent. I know absolutely this to be the case in one class; the award is more or less an attendance award, most certainly not best shoe.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:48 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 332 Posts

You know, THIS just might be the answer.

If this slicks thing grows too much hair (as I believe there are many of us who just hate the thought of adding weight...I'm running a very weak GT3 this year, for example, as I refuse to add weight) - we may be better off with the S/R thing.
If we go back to the S/R classes...I may just quit. even though I have not raced this year (car issues) I am encouraged and envious seeing much larger GT class groups. I would FAR rather the 50# weight penalty than go back to the split classes...I'm not sure how much of a penalty 50# is anyway but I still think its unnecessary.

On a race by race basis, we could then run slicks or not, depending on budget, tire inventory, and those others in our classes.
Except being different classes means POINTS in different classes. Besides, you can do that now...just add/subtract 50#

Paul is probably the most knowledgeable on this subject since he's driven both and is a good enough driver to extract the most out of each tire compound. I would believe his personal experience evaluation more than most of us that just want to complain and use the 'its not fair' concept (like me). In addition, Walt told me that he's looked at all the ACTUAL data from the races and there is no real evidence that the racers on slicks are faster than the ones on DOT. More than half of the time, 'S' cars finish ahead or "win" over 'R' cars. Results don't lie.

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Well said Bob.

Merely allowing us free tires would really help increase class sizes.

Perhaps you would simply copy your comments here and post them over to crrules@...with a small note asking them to consider free tires.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I want the points so I can have a cool avatar.

Actually, I'm also all about lap times and doing my best to keep up with the big boys in my little car. I can't afford a Nat run anyway.

In some cases, a Nat is meaningless and a function of money spent. I know absolutely this to be the case in one class; the award is more or less an attendance award, most certainly not best shoe.
Kaib - sounds like you better buy a Skirtster like the rest of us
Old 05-09-2014, 09:39 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Well said Bob.

Merely allowing us free tires would really help increase class sizes.

Perhaps you would simply copy your comments here and post them over to crrules@...with a small note asking them to consider free tires.
Already did... and have been since I started racing in 2006!! At LEAST we finally combined the classes in one way... And as noted by Paul, Walt himself does not really feel the 50# penalty is needed.
A few other rules change options I submitted:

-All races should be points races
-Enduro's count double points.

Not sure about the last one, but figured what the heck.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:48 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Have sent in my feedback/suggestions. Hope that SPB can move to slicks, PCCB brakes, and the new 991 cup seat/slider.

To be serious (for a moment) I echoed sentiments about points races (all), the ongoing seat mount/slider issue (design, fabrication, execution, engineering rationale), and for those of us with arm restraints, clarifying some subjective window net coverage feedback.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:52 PM
KMR RSR 001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also emailed Walt about free tires it GT classes. Hopefully they will listen this year...
Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I can't understand why people want to be able to choose slicks or DOT tires in GT classes with no weight penalty. Slicks are faster and more expensive, no way to argue that. If you don't care about winning, run DOT tires to save money. If you want to win, add weight where it won't hurt and run slicks. What am I missing?
Old 05-10-2014, 08:47 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by analogmike
I can't understand why people want to be able to choose slicks or DOT tires in GT classes with no weight penalty. Slicks are faster and more expensive, no way to argue that. If you don't care about winning, run DOT tires to save money. If you want to win, add weight where it won't hurt and run slicks. What am I missing?
Mike
Because GT is not a spec class, so just because we are in the same 'class' doesn't mean that tires are the only defining factor in the capabilities of the car.
Why is there not a weight penalty if someone has 11.5:1 compression vs. someone with 10.5:1? 11.5:1 is faster and more expensive to build.
Why is there no weight penalty for titanium rods, custom crank work, custom cams and head work? Those can be faster and definitely more expensive...
Why is there no a weight penalty if someone has a sequential gearbox vs H pattern? Again, faster and more expensive...
Why is there no weight penalty if someone has fully adjustable Motons vs relatively stock suspension? Again....faster and more expensive.

But if you want to win, you do all those things, plus a lot more.

When I raced GT5R (slicks), I had guys with SMALLER engines (mine was 2.2, theirs 2.0) that had 50% more hp than me and 5 seconds per lap faster than me that were running in GT5S (DOT). THEY were willing to spend $50k++ on their engine, I was not. Now that R and S are combined, why should I be penalized for slicks then if they are the ones with the faster car that I can't spend enough to beat?

When everything else is free, why are tires a defining point?

Last edited by NaroEscape; 05-10-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

WOW!

All the GT guys are loaded, are they not?

(Great answer to Mike, Bob, thanks. You make far too much sense.)
Old 05-10-2014, 01:53 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bryan_H
I got called here for another reason and saw this.

I would note that this poster is not and never has been a PCA racer. He has a thing for PCA Club Racing. He is on other forums doing the same.

How many guys who write negatively about PCA rules are not PCA Club Racing participants and do not even own a Porsche race car but do participate with other organizations? There is a word for that but I cant remember what it is.
Bryan, I've stewed on this for a few days...understand your point, but...

Doug embodies the spirit of Club racing. He is a damn good driver, a PCA instructor, crews for a raft of guys at our races and is pretty well known in his region.

Just want to send kudos out where they're deserved.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:08 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
Mike
Because GT is not a spec class, so just because we are in the same 'class' doesn't mean that tires are the only defining factor in the capabilities of the car.
Why is there not a weight penalty if someone has 11.5:1 compression vs. someone with 10.5:1? 11.5:1 is faster and more expensive to build.
Why is there no weight penalty for titanium rods, custom crank work, custom cams and head work? Those can be faster and definitely more expensive...
Why is there no a weight penalty if someone has a sequential gearbox vs H pattern? Again, faster and more expensive...
Why is there no weight penalty if someone has fully adjustable Motons vs relatively stock suspension? Again....faster and more expensive.

But if you want to win, you do all those things, plus a lot more.

When I raced GT5R (slicks), I had guys with SMALLER engines (mine was 2.2, theirs 2.0) that had 50% more hp than me and 5 seconds per lap faster than me that were running in GT4S (DOT). THEY were willing to spend $50k++ on their engine, I was not. Now that R and S are combined, why should I be penalized for slicks then if they are the ones with the faster car that I can't spend enough to beat?

When everything else is free, why are tires a defining point?
Rules are needed to try to keep competition even and people interested in racing to keep the sport going. Tires are trivial to check. Engine mods are about impossible to check. You don't want to compete against a sequential, then suggest a weight penalty, I think SCCA does this.

Quick Reply: PCA CR Rules changes/revisions