Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to boost confidence in a new driver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:52 PM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to boost confidence in a new driver?

I have a friend who has asked me to help her improve her lap times and I have agreed to try and help her.

She recently obtained her race licence and is one of the regulars on our chump car team. At Road America I was lapping about 4-5 seconds a lap faster than her when I caught and passed her. I slowed my pace and told her on the radio to stay glued to my bumper. I did a few laps at the reduced speed with her glued to my bumper as instructed then I gradually increased my speed back to my race pace and she was able to match my speed without any problem. After about 20 laps or so I started to push and tried to pull a gap on her but could not. Identical cars. Every time I looked in the mirror she was right there.

So she has the skills how do I build her confidence and help her get a little closer to the limit when I'm not around or when she doesn't have a rabbit to chase?
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

she is ready, get her a cup car.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Marry her?

Probably would be best to have some in car video, so you can see if her lines are different than when she's following you.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
she is ready, get her a cup car.

IMO, do more lead/follow, so she gets accustomed to the faster pace, and it gradually becomes "normal" for her. And suggest she hire a coach who is used to building confidence in drivers with skills...
Old 04-03-2014, 11:05 PM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sundog
Marry her?

Probably would be best to have some in car video, so you can see if her lines are different than when she's following you.
Yes when I was following her for a couple of laps I could see she wasn't quiet using all the track over breaking and not carrying as much speed as possible in the corners .

I would marry her but we both already have wives!
Old 04-03-2014, 11:10 PM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

IMO, do more lead/follow, so she gets accustomed to the faster pace, and it gradually becomes "normal" for her. And suggest she hire a coach who is used to building confidence in drivers with skills...
Pro coaches are pretty scarce up here in the great white north, so she's stuck with me,. but yes I'm a big believer in coaching/ mentoring I would like to find one my self.

No cup car but I'm going to put her in the 928.

Her car is a Neon srt4 which is a blast to drive 300hp turbo
Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by justaguy
I would marry her but we both already have wives!
...not that there is anything wrong with that...

Pro coaches are pretty scarce up here in the great white north, so she's stuck with me,. but yes I'm a big believer in coaching/ mentoring I would like to find one my self.
Which is why some of us travel a lot...
Old 04-03-2014, 11:56 PM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Absolutely my thoughts!
Old 04-04-2014, 12:09 AM
justaguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor

Which is why some of us travel a lot...
I like to travel as well so book a day at COTA and sign me up.

Do y'all allow we Lesbians in Texas?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I love COTA!

Hell yes, especially here in Austin And since I am pretty much libertarian by nature, I could not care less who sleeps with whom. None of my business, and does not make anyone a greater or lesser person... So, as we say here, y'all come on down, y'hear!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:22 AM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a friend who has asked me to help her improve her lap times and I have agreed to try and help her.

She recently obtained her race licence and is one of the regulars on our chump car team. At Road America I was lapping about 4-5 seconds a lap faster than her when I caught and passed her. I slowed my pace and told her on the radio to stay glued to my bumper. I did a few laps at the reduced speed with her glued to my bumper as instructed then I gradually increased my speed back to my race pace and she was able to match my speed without any problem. After about 20 laps or so I started to push and tried to pull a gap on her but could not. Identical cars. Every time I looked in the mirror she was right there.

So she has the skills how do I build her confidence and help her get a little closer to the limit when I'm not around or when she doesn't have a rabbit to chase?
My non professional thoughts are this. You have to go slow to go fast if she can learn the basic fundamentals vision ,smoothness , line and focus and continue doing all those things perfectly the speed will come naturally. Also when she comes in have her stay in her car and visualize two perfect laps in her head.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 210 Posts

Have her pretend every lap is qualifying to get in the right mind set.
Does she have lap times in the cockpit hopefully with predictive? I'm not much of a racer but I LOVE pushing myself against my best lap times. Having sector times on display makes it even more fun.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,698 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
in the cockpit hopefully with predictive? I'm not much of a racer but I LOVE pushing myself against my best lap times. Having sector times on display makes it even more fun.
An Aim Solo is a very inexpensive option to add this capability. Doesn't even need to display lap times (in case the organizers irrationally don't like this), just display +/- from best (delta-t).
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

IMHO... when I'm finding that my lap times are going the wrong way or I'm just having a hard time getting to my personal best....the first thing I work on is vision. Seems simple and something we all take for granted but after running a few sessions where I'm concentrating on nothing but keeping my eyes way ahead, the speed naturally comes on. If she's not keeping her eyes up, then she might be holding herself back a bit. But in a lead follow, she has to keep her head up and follow your line, hence faster laps. Just my two cents.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:37 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

You need a road trip to Austin :-)

Texas itself may not be as accommodating -- but at least on this issue, Austin has it right.

I was going to comment. I often find myself having the capabilities to drive faster, just not the continued confidence to do so. For me it's an inherent fear of making a mistake and the consequences.

As I learn what the car can do -- I keep reminding myself "Trust the car, trust the car -- followed by don't surprise the car and the car won't surprise you".

Like others have said -- the more comfortable she gets at speed the more natural it will feel.

I can drive all day about 2 sec a lap slower than my best and be consistent.
This works very well in Chumps. If I have to throw down a lap -- I can, but I am inconsistent and uncomfortable having to focus that hard lap after lap.

I think it takes a lot of practice -- in BOTH seats and in lead/follow situations. I'm still a newb.

Make a trip to COTA, H2R, TWS -- and enjoy Austin while you are here.

Mike

Quick Reply: How to boost confidence in a new driver?