Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best HPDE clubs to instruct for?......

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 01:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Best HPDE clubs to instruct for?......

Instructors, since I am fairly new at this, would you mind sharing which DE/HPDE clubs,
regardless of the marquee or affiliation, have given you the most positive experience from an instructor point of view?

Thanks......
Old 01-24-2014, 01:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 466 Posts

Chin hands down my winner.

Peter
Old 01-24-2014, 01:44 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Seriously, this sport is all about relationships. People like to go where they're valued, whether it's a well-run DE program of a PCA Region or BMWCCA Chapter, or a good for-profit, like Chin, MVP, TD and others.

I recommend organizations who have an instructor development plan in place, periodic review of their instructor cadre, use event evaluations for students and instructors unceasingly and encourage new or out-of-organization instructors to join them.

I know that doesn't answer your question. I really only make these type of recommendations to people who want to work with me at an event, so we can coordinate and get the most value out of OUR interaction.

Will read the comments with interest, as there is always something to learn.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-24-2014, 01:49 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,651 Likes on 852 Posts

^^^ what Peter said ^^^
Old 01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

+1
Old 01-24-2014, 02:55 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Like Peter said - and I'd also encourage private (negative) responses, as not all of the comments will be positive.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

it REALLY depends on the region.

I didn't like Chin because of the very long sessions.
(*its been a while, but I think they have 2 hour sessions before AND after lunch -IIRC).

but Chin is a great club to solo with, because of the same open sessions.

I've have good experiences PBOC & PCA.

NASA is also good, but more of a mixed bag for students. -many different marquis
(+ you do self tech as an instructor - So 1 less thing to do before the event...).

I haven't tried Hooked on driving, or Drivers club international, (yet)...
Old 01-24-2014, 04:31 PM
hinchcliffe
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Niagara Region is free for instructors to drive, but we work them pretty good if we need to......
Old 01-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

HOD will give you more time than any other group, catered lunch, low key- PCA to focus on your own driving skills. Ton of great groups at Watkins Glen.
Old 01-24-2014, 05:21 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Interesting question. I've found my most enjoyable experiences linked to enthusiastic students who were there to truly learn. I've not instructed with any club that did not appreciate their instructors.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:09 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

As a new instructor, with limited spare time on my hands, I appreciate the comments.....

In my opinion , if anyone's only intent to instruct was to save a couple hundred dollars on the entry fee, then they should not be instructing at all.........

it is to give back, to share your experiences and to continually learn........ that is why I decided to instruct......so why not find out what the great organizations are?
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 AM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach

Seriously, this sport is all about relationships. People like to go where they're valued, whether it's a well-run DE program of a PCA Region or BMWCCA Chapter, or a good for-profit, like Chin, MVP, TD and others.

I recommend organizations who have an instructor development plan in place, periodic review of their instructor cadre, use event evaluations for students and instructors unceasingly and encourage new or out-of-organization instructors to join them.

I know that doesn't answer your question. I really only make these type of recommendations to people who want to work with me at an event, so we can coordinate and get the most value out of OUR interaction.

Will read the comments with interest, as there is always something to learn.
I couldn't agree more with you Pete.

Interestingly enough for me, I'm more interested in "formally" instructing than ever before since my oldest daughter is going to be driving beginning this summer.

Admittedly, between my self employment coupled w/ military obligations, I hadn't a lot of time, especially over weekends when most DE's are sponsored to instruct. So, I've selfishly been a solo driver for over a decade. However, I've begun the correspondence w/ various groups, specifically PCA and I'm troubled (and in retrospect not surprised) at the variance in what each region requires? Since it's up to each regions individual Chief Instructor, the subjective litmus test they all require is as disparate and subjective as there are different cars on track?

The PCA national instructor's certification while it could be a starting point is so unregulated and inconsistent, it's no wonder why most regions don't consider it for qualification more than they do, which is almost ZERO.

This may be crazy (and go ahead and laugh), but being a musician from another lifetime (The Juilliard School of Music), I've had the privilege of studying w/ the best of the best… soloists and performers. But, my best teachers weren't necessarily the best players?

Likewise, the fastest around the track may not necessarily make the best instructors?

Again, Pete you're spot on that this sport is ALL about relationships. Safety is absolutely first and foremost. Then, I believe it's about fun and providing as best as the instructor can an experience for the student that he/she will enjoy.

I guess my point for this thread is given my humble experience at various DE's (last summer alone I attended over 10), it all depends on the folks running your local regional group, irrespective of the club.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:24 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
it REALLY depends on the region.

I didn't like Chin because of the very long sessions.
(*its been a while, but I think they have 2 hour sessions before AND after lunch -IIRC).

but Chin is a great club to solo with, because of the same open sessions.

I haven't been to a Chin event in a about five years but as I recall, it depends on the format. With three groups it's a pretty hectic day if you are trying to drive. On the other hand, with some PCA regions / events, you end up with two students in four of five run groups.

Originally Posted by est8esq
I couldn't agree more with you Pete.

The PCA national instructor's certification while it could be a starting point is so unregulated and inconsistent, it's no wonder why most regions don't consider it for qualification more than they do, which is almost ZERO.

I haven't found that to be the case at all. I think I've instructed with six or seven regions since I did the instructors school in 08 and all of them accepted that as qualification. I'm sure that most keep an eye on new instructors but I've never gotten any negative feedback.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:20 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
As a new instructor, with limited spare time on my hands, I appreciate the comments.....

In my opinion , if anyone's only intent to instruct was to save a couple hundred dollars on the entry fee, then they should not be instructing at all.........

it is to give back, to share your experiences and to continually learn........ that is why I decided to instruct......so why not find out what the great organizations are?
I only do it because its free! I’m not really very good at it..
Scary stuff!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:26 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,278 Likes on 1,870 Posts

Originally Posted by est8esq
I've begun the correspondence w/ various groups, specifically PCA, and I'm troubled (and in retrospect, not surprised) at the variance in what each region requires?

Since it's up to each regions individual Chief Instructor, the subjective litmus test they all require is as disparate and subjective as there are different cars on track?

given my humble experience at various DE's (last summer alone I attended over 10), it all depends on the folks running your local regional group, irrespective of the club.
I find this to be true and the reason why the OP's question is such a good one. Most clubs and many CIs operate "within these four walls" and don't venture out enough to examine and learn best practices. This IS an evolving sport.

Safety is first and paramount, for me...

Originally Posted by roketman
I only do it because its free! I’m not really very good at it.

Scary stuff!
Hahahaha! You crack me up! Always have...

Quick Reply: Best HPDE clubs to instruct for?......