Sponsored by:

Your input is needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisc
I should stay out of this but......here's my take from a completely neutral position. You are very passionate about the situation and likely have merit in your concerns. You've brought your concerns forward to the organization. The organization has chosen to handle the situation in a manner that does not suit you. You've done your best, you need to drop it and move on electing to stay away from events this fellow participates in. If you are right in your observations this fellow will ultimately run out of luck. I hope as you do that he doesn't take anyone else with him but based on the video I would just give that bright red rocket a lot of room since it's a DE environment and let nature take it's course.
Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
Agree 100%. All you are going to do now is get a rep yourself for having a "bad attitude", even though you have been trying to do the right thing. If I were you, I would just find another place to drive or another group to drive with.

If you feel charitable, you might give the rest of us innocent bystanders a heads up as to the culprit, so we can save ourselves.
I agree. at this point, let the DE organizers do their own risk assessment.

at this point all you're doing is making yourself look like a jerk (even though I think your level of concern is appropriate)
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I appreciate all of your responses. You guys really get it. All is not lost in my region, I just got a very uplifting message from one of the members there, who I truly respect and admire, expressing how he shares my concerns and frustrations.

Last edited by jbossolo; 01-07-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Requested by third party
Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

imagine what this person could do with a lot of nannies.....we should at least lobby for him to upgrade to a 991GT3 (says the guy with a lot of nannies in his 997).

In all seriousness though, he is not the first person to drive like an *** hat, nor the last. I'm going to assume that PCA DE programs will eventually take care of the issue because they pride themselves on safety - and I've not seen anything over time to believe differently. I don't believe that you can change someone's self-perception and will spend way too much money and energy trying to do so. No matter what this person does or says on the outside, I would guess (and hope) that the public exposure and ridicule has shaken some part of his core. And I'm sure he will meet plenty of folks in time who mention this brief moment of internet fame and twist the knife a bit.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember the first time I saw the video and how much of a laugh I got out of it. Now, after reading all the subsequent posts, particularly in this thread, I realize just how sad this is. I realize you are torn due to your friendship with this gentleman. I can't help wondering whether he is suffering from early stages of dementia? Does he have any family members you could speak to and and relay your concerns regarding his safety (and that of others)?
The legal angle of potential liability to the sponsoring chapter that continues to allow this man to participate in DEs might work, after much time and money, but would also more than likely fall into the category of "no good deed goes unpunished."
I guess all you can do for now is make other drivers aware of this guy's problems and ask that you (all of you) not be placed in his run group.
Otherwise, maybe slash his tires and chip in to buy him an X-box and Forza 4.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:00 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't help wondering whether he is suffering from early stages of dementia?
A distinct possibility. He's bipolar, in my opinion.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Don't solve the problem in a public forum, or with people outside your region. Solve the problem locally, in person, and amongst the instructors. Just an idea...

Suggest to your CDI that he call a mandatory meeting for all instructors at the start of the next DE. Have him do a refresher course on the importance of teaching students how to use their vision to correct a spin, emphasizing the relationship between the eyes and hands on the direction of the car. Have classroom instructors do the same in all of the student classroom sessions. In one weekend, make what is obvious to everyone very explicit to everyone... the solution involves hands on the wheel. No need to call out this guy by name or refer to the incident at COTA; he'll either get the message or he won't. If he gets it, he's allowed to save face and self-correct. A best case scenario is that he become a positive poster child for how to learn from his mistakes and go on to be a strong advocate for correct spin recovery techniques. Wouldn't that be cool, and restore your friendship???

On the other hand, if he continues to teach others that letting go of the wheel is a solution, the CDI has grounds remove him from the instructor group based on his prior instruction to all instructors. After that, his next ride should be with an advanced instructor, who will either help him fix the problem 1:1, or recommend that he be bumped down to the beginner group. Sooner or later, the guy will either get it or at least bend to peer pressure, or never get it and end up being booted from the beginner group.

Quick Reply: Your input is needed.