Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Schumacher Helmet GoPro

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014 | 01:14 PM
MikeJim
Pro

Default Schumacher Helmet GoPro

*Wonder if GoPro will use it in advertising.

(From AutoWeek) French authorities hosted a packed press conference in Albertville, France, Wednesday in order to give more details of the ongoing investigation into seven-time Formula One champion Michael Schumacher's skiing accident.

Prosecutor Patrick Quincy said, “Every winter season, we have about 50 accidents of this nature, and we always use the same methods and we give the same attention to detail to everything we do.”

Although relatively little of note emerged, Quincy did clarify a few points. He confirmed that a video from Schumacher's GoPro helmet camera has played a big part in the investigation. He said it was “perfectly clear,” and had been used to help with reconstructing the accident. Schumacher was 8 meters off the main path when he struck a rock.

Quincy said, “He followed the red piste [main path] and he went off piste. He is evidently an extremely good skier, but one of his skis hit a rock that was sticking out of the piste, and it caused him to fall and he hit his head on a rock. The rock that he hit is 8 meters from the piste. His position after he fell was 9 meters from the piste.

“We examined the film that was realized from his helmet. This film is perfectly clear and gives us a lot of information, and it confirms all the information that we already had. We used this film to do a reconstruction of the accident.”

Quincy added that the video lasted two minutes and that there was no sign of Schumacher stopping to help anyone who had fallen over. It was said earlier this week that he had assisted the daughter of a friend, and had crashed just after restarting.

There has been no sign of a phone video reportedly taken by a bystander and showing the accident in the background, and Quincy said he doubted that it existed.

It was also confirmed that Schumacher's skis were in “perfect condition,” and had not contributed to the accident, but had been damaged by contact with the rock.

It was said that Schumacher's exact speed was not yet clear, but he had slowed when he began to turn. Speed was not regarded as an important factor.

Quincy stressed that the marking of the piste was a significant part of the investigation, and added that it was too early to say whether there was any fault on the part of the resort. He would not comment on whether Schumacher had been careless when he went off-piste.

However, asked about the possibility of legal proceedings, he said he “cannot see that at the moment.”
Old 01-08-2014 | 01:45 PM
element
Pro

one feature missing from the GoPro which i love on my Contour is GPS! Why is it missing? I get great video AND telemetry whenever i record anything from one device.

Contour went MIA due to business challenges

Hope Schumi a speedy recovery!!!!

phil.
Old 01-08-2014 | 02:34 PM
element
Pro

i just checked.. Contour is back in business! YAY!

phil.

Quick Reply: Schumacher Helmet GoPro