Sponsored by:

Your input is needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Your input is needed.

After much thought on the matter, I'd like to expose this situation here, for your consideration.
Last year at COTA there was a much publicized fiasco regarding the driving antics of a participant at a DE.
Refer to this thread for the full story:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=55151

Shortly after that fiasco I attempted an intervention through our local PCA region, to no avail. The members of the region, including region officials, simply blew this off. I went to PCA national directly with my plea for intervention. They responded that since the event was not a PCA-sponsored event, they could do nothing.

To this day the driver in question has never even admitted he made any mistakes in his driving, he even brags about the fact that even while driving with one hand on the wheel, and one grabbing his A-pillar, his times "were faster" than others there. Clearly he doesn't realize he has a problem, so he's done nothing to correct the situation.

That weekend of the COTA DE his behavior was erratic, bordering on reckless. He was approached by at least two other drivers that complained about his behavior.
To quote the words of a pro coach there, the driver in question was "an accident waiting to happen". Fortunately, neither that weekend, nor to this day, has he been involved in any serious track incidents. However, I know for a fact that his driving habits have not changed, and neither has his belligerent attitude.

Which brings me to this. In order to possibly prevent this guy from harming himself and/or others, I'm considering to "come clean" and fully disclose his identity.

Am I out of line here, or should we all know who this very potentially dangerous individual is? His antics were made public on YouTube, so his identity is not exactly a secret. I'm truly conflicted by this. On one hand, I don't want to harm the guy, as I stand nothing to gain by that. On the other hand, this guy is truly a loose cannon, and represents a menace to anyone sharing a track with him. He truly has zero insight about his problem, and no intention to take any corrective action. To make matters worse he's a very high ranking official for the local PCA region, and a PCA-certified DE Instructor. Because of this, as well as his connections in the region, he stands to remain undisciplined by his fellow PCA region members.

I'm anxious to hear your comments, before I decide whether to fully expose him or not.

Last edited by jbossolo; 01-04-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:07 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that if you have advised the driver, and the organisers of your concern, you have done everything within reason. The onus is no longer on you.

I doubt that public announcement of his name is going to do any good, and in fact it might make you liable for libel if you dont choose your words very carefully.

If the driver refuses to take face to face criticism from his peers, he sure as heck wont take it from faceless internet warriors hes never met.

If it helps, I am a DE chair for pca-cwr and have been co-chairing DEs for nearly a decade. Our region is very small compared to yours, but we have had similar issues, and word of mouth does travel.

We were considering blacklisting a driver that had already been blacklisted by two other groups, until he had a total write off with a third unknown group.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:33 AM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I won't volunteer too much info, the driver is a friend and can post if he wants. His instructor tried several times to point out his shortcomings. Some people can't or won't allow themselves to listen. I improved my lap times by six seconds using the very same instructor, didn't put a single wheel out all weekend. At one point the instructor even pulled the driver and his wife aside and had a "heart-to-heart" with both. His exact words: "I love you, but you're an accident waiting .
As you say if this guy is a "friend" and won't listen to you doubt Internet guru's will have much effect. I suspect you are doing this to help your friend, however I would think you would just lose a friend
Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

IMO the first step is to make sure MVP is aware of what this guy did, so they do not allow him back at COTA in a month...
Old 01-04-2014, 10:32 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Thanks for the advise. The "friendship" is already damaged, as this guy has zero insight. I'm beyond that. What I'm trying to prevent is a tragedy. He runs with NASA TTU aside from our events, and he's truly a menace to anyone that shares a track with him.
I firmly belive that if he continues driving like this, it's only a matter of time until he kills himself and/or others.

As for your comments, VR, that's already sorted.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:43 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

As to possible legal ramifications, I'm covered. Two lawyers in the immediate family.
The definition of libel implies that the statements must be false, or an opinion. His driving antics are well documented and speak for themselves. In this case, the burden of proof is on him.

libel 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie.
Like I said before, what I'm trying to prevent here is a tragedy. If you guys ever shared a track with this individual, you'd realize how truly appalling the situation is.

Last edited by jbossolo; 01-04-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Offer the name via PM and email to anyone that wants to know it, I would advise against putting it out on a public forum..
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

IMO putting his name here would accomplish nothing. Nothing.

Instead, perhaps organizing a boycott of yoru region's events until this fellow is dealt with might get a lot more attention, since it would hit the region's bottom line.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Good idea, Gary. Y'all know how to find me. Anyone interested let me know. FWIW, car is a red 997 GT2. He also drives an Amethyst (purple) and orange 964. Stay well clear of both!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:54 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Sent you a PM, VR.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
As to possible legal ramifications, I'm covered. Two lawyers in the immediate family.
The definition of libel implies that the statements must be false, or an opnion. His driving antics are well documented and speak for themselves. In this case, the burden of proof is on him.

libel 1) n. to publish in print (including pictures), writing or broadcast through radio, television or film, an untruth about another which will do harm to that person or his/her reputation, by tending to bring the target into ridicule, hatred, scorn or contempt of others. Libel is the written or broadcast form of defamation, distinguished from slander which is oral defamation. It is a tort (civil wrong) making the person or entity (like a newspaper, magazine or political organization) open to a lawsuit for damages by the person who can prove the statement about him/her was a lie.

Like I said before, what I'm trying to prevent here is a tragedy. If you guys ever shared a track with this individual, you'd realize how truly appalling the situation is.
I like your reasoning but the trouble with libel suits is that they can be expensive even when you are right.
But you already knew that.
I would take the 'I'm not attending any events where I or my friends will be on track with this guy' to force the organizers into pulling their heads out of the sand.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 940 Likes on 570 Posts

It's interesting to read people's thoughts in this thread compared to the one where a bad driving club racer was named.....
Old 01-04-2014, 12:55 PM
MSR Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 111 Posts

What does his car look like??
Old 01-04-2014, 01:02 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

....can you ask him to run with his high beams on, cause if he that fast with one hand I want to know in time to get out of his way.

Quick Reply: Your input is needed.