Your input is needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow........ This has to be a joke.
Sadly, it isn't.

Last edited by jbossolo; 01-15-2014 at 01:16 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Just watched the vid, don't see what all the fuss is about. I kinda like his style. Loose, unconcerned, laissez faire. Half the population of Quebec drives like that, and the other half even worse. Come to think of it, his driving reminds me of Yonker.

Who needs the apex (or the steering wheel) anyway? I think you should post his name here, makes it easier to contact him for lessons. Can the factory take his car away?

It would be pure comedy if not for the risk to others and the reputation of the PCA DE program. PCA national, what are you thinking?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:29 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

PCA national, what are you thinking?
Indeed.

It goes way beyond that. To give you an idea just how disfunctional our region has become, in our forum I've posted on several occassions about this situation. Instead of offering a sensible reponse, they "sweep it under the rug" and move those posts to a "secret" part of the forum, where only top CBR region officials have access. Furthermore, they deleted all posts in which the "one armed driver" boasted about his driving antics. When I questioned the "editing" this was the response I got from the forum moderator:

There will be No More Editing period. If some one discredits any one or anything they Will be removed from the Forum.
Great region, right? First they ignore a potential safety issue, and then they cover it up.
I thought I was in Texas. This is starting to look like Chicago!
Old 01-06-2014, 04:49 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbossolo
Great region, right? First they ignore a potential safety issue, and then they cover it up.
I thought I was in Texas. This is starting to look like Chicago!
Maybe. How big was the payoff?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

There might be some of that involved!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone discussed w/ MVP?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:31 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Has anyone discussed w/ MVP?
That situation is solved. I'd appreciate if we keep that organization out of the discussion. You can PM me as to why.
But that only solves one venue, driver still participates in PCA events AND races in NASA TTU class.

Also the primary concern here should be correcting the situation (unsafe driving habits), not limiting the guy's participation.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:43 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

The primary concern here should be correcting the situation (unsafe driving habits), not limiting the guy's participation.
Won't happen unless he's open to that. Sounds like not only is he NOT open, he rebuffs help offered...
Old 01-06-2014, 10:01 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 196 Posts

OP: you may have engineered the perfect thread to share with him. His identity's been protected so far, while a group of reasonably credible drivers--mostly PCA instructors cut from the "same" cloth (that's in his mind since he calls himself one) can attest to the grossly unacceptable behavior.

Just send him this thread and tell him this is what the world thinks of him. These aren't just internet gurus but folks who instruct higher groups than he does and we are genuinely shocked.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:38 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

I'll give it a try, but not too hopeful. I tend to agree with Peter. Knowing the guy, he'll probably just ignore it. According to him, that was just an "off day" for him. This is a guy with absolutely ZERO insight. it doesn't help that those around him (in my PCA region) condone his behavior.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Doug007
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How often does he DE/race?

I don't ever remember seeing a car of that description at the lone star/hill country region events. Don't think our CDIs would put up with any of that.

The last time I see a car like that in NASA TTU was late 2011. Two years ago. Maybe he just came out of retirement to drive COTA. I hope so at least!
Old 01-06-2014, 05:01 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

CI's in our area from multiple clubs and organizations discuss such individuals. Driving privledges have been denied by other groups based on such shared behavior. Better safe than sorry. I recall one situation that after 3 years of rehab we allowed a certain driver to return. Non Secret double probation. It's a small DE world. Instructor world similar. If a driver causes problems at one event it is quite likely he will again.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:04 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 191 Posts

Just watched the video. I think he needs to give up track and take up drifting ...
Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
baddogz28
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I was going to say, "maybe he should try iRacing..."

...Then I remembered he'd get lambasted for driving like that over the mic, even in fictional racing.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:36 PM
ninjacoco
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Is there a process to de-certify an instructor who publicly exhibits a disregard of the principles we are supposed to teach and follow in our behavior as drivers?
Professional societies get in trouble when they certify but then don't enforce.
And no, I'm not suggesting DE instructors are 'professionals' like doctors, lawyers, and accountants.
But they are--we rely on them to keep things under control when you send a bunch of people out who may or may not have driven cars at the limit before. It's a hobby for most of those dudes, but one with a buttload of responsibility attached.

I'm in Texas, and nooooo sir, I do not want to share track space with him--unless you're bumping him back down to spend (needed) time with an instructor who'd keep him on the shortest leash humanly possible.

I sent the video clip over a year ago to PCA nationals. Everybody and their mother saw the vid. Nobody did squat. Their reasoning? It wasn't at a PCA-sponsored event, so there's nothing we can do. Great logic, right?
In the meantime, this individual continues to represent the core of PCA DE instructors.

I also sent an e-mail to ALL of the NASA regional TT directors (guy runs in NASA TTU). No answer back yet.
I've tried to spread the word as far as I can, so people can have him on their radars.
Is there any other footage FROM a PCA event? I feel like they're being pretty negligent in brushing it off as "not ours," but sometimes you just have to play these little games. Maybe they've bought the story that it's an isolated incident. If the guy's really that bad, there must be other footage out there--and probably some from PCA and NASA if that's where he runs.

Quick Reply: Your input is needed.