Sponsored by:

Your input is needed.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 833 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Arm resting on windowsill, hand on A pillar, pinching corners and losing it umpteen times, and giving pass signals that look like it's Fonzie saying hello.. Eehhhhhhhh!!! At least he apexes have nothing to worry about...
LOL the safest places to pass him are at each apex, since he will be at least 10' away
Old 01-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Polesitter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched video. To call that guy a clown would be complimentary. As he seems to believe staying far right and missing the apex by 20 feet at turn 1 is a good idea, this would be an opportune time to use his car as a brake. Just get right on his *** and give him a little help going deeper into turn 1. A little scuffing on your front bumper cover wont hurt much.

As you drive past, you can give him another form of point by. Message delivered. You won't see him again until the session is over.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:56 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow!! If I just saw that video without the background information here, I would have thought it was either a joke or an "instructional video" on what not to do.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 438 Likes on 223 Posts

Does this driver not have an internet connection? Surely he must realize that there are threads/web articles all over the globe talking about his driving 'style' at COTA. If I were going to continue tracking after being humiliated like this, I'd get facial reconstruction and buy a different marque track car.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow!! If I just saw that video without the background information here, I would have thought it was either a joke or an "instructional video" on what not to do.
A lot of people have the same reaction. A fellow track junkie sent me this link to an article that was written about the video. The guy's comments are hilarious, but it's amazing how everyone just assumes that the guy is a newbie.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...is-here-porsh/

And to answer a previous question: yes, top officials at PCA national all have seen this video. Apparently they're OK with it, since it didn't happen at one of their events. Pretty glib, if you ask me. Why wait for something to happen in order to take action? Guy is clearly a liability as it is. But that's just me.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 344 Posts

Wonder what his instructing "style" is? LOL. Does he teach the way he drives? Just think, a whole bunch of new drivers are learning this style.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:44 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly can't say. But what I will say is this: the guy is older than me; as a matter of fact, he was instrumental in getting me involved in the sport, several years ago. On more than one ocassion, I've heard him say to a group of drivers that in his experience, the best way to correct a spin in a 911 is to "completely let go of the wheel, the car will correct itself". That should give you an idea what his instructing "style" is.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:26 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy crap I can't believe he's an instructor. What club does he instruct with?
Maybe it's just a coincidence but I have never seen a well-driven GT2 at any de I've been to. To be fair I guess there aren't many GT2's out there to begin with.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:46 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

I would be embarrassed to be in the same "instructor" corp with this person. Fellow instructors should be instrumental in his removal or "re-education" of basic driving techniques.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Maybe it's just a coincidence but I have never seen a well-driven GT2 at any de I've been to.
Jim Lewis is quite good in his black with red numbers GT2... And he's been to Barber. VIR is his home track though.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

If You spot it You got it....
Old 01-05-2014, 06:59 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow........ This has to be a joke.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
Wonder what his instructing "style" is? LOL. Does he teach the way he drives? Just think, a whole bunch of new drivers are learning this style.
Originally Posted by jbossolo
I honestly can't say. But what I will say is this: the guy is older than me; as a matter of fact, he was instrumental in getting me involved in the sport, several years ago. On more than one ocassion, I've heard him say to a group of drivers that in his experience, the best way to correct a spin in a 911 is to "completely let go of the wheel, the car will correct itself". That should give you an idea what his instructing "style" is.
Honesty, his driving reminds me of my "student" when I did the National Training Program (check out run).... altho even in the worse role-playing moments my Mentor never grabbed the A pillar, lol ... [I will have to remember that for when I Mentor ].. Anyhoo, maybe he just got the 'teaching sessions' confused and reversed at the Program ....

Seriously, tho, I am appalled that he is 'Nationally Trained'. He drives as if he paid no attention at all to the Program's teachings/materials, etc. And I don't care if he is not fast for his level or what his lap times are - Its the way he drives. Period. The bottom line is that is not how one drives a car at an HPDE event. There's not an Instructor on here that would not require a pit in/paddock talk after a lap or two like that...
Old 01-05-2014, 07:30 PM
danielyonker
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just saw the video. So bad it's not even worth getting worked up over. So who is going to take what action? Send the video clip to someone who can put this guy on probation.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:00 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by paver
Holy crap I can't believe he's an instructor. What club does he instruct with.
The " Joy luck club"

Quick Reply: Your input is needed.