Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA penalizes all rear engines.......

 
Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 PM
  #16  
mikew968
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mikew968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,884
Default

As John said there is a difference between GTS and ST. I don't know how the rule making went in ST but I do know the rules change process is "similar" to PCA in GTS. The changes in GTS were minimal and as far as the 997/991 cups it was a .2 change in the pwr to weight ratio. This basically the only material change and there is no rear engine or non-production car penalty.
mikew968 is offline  
Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 PM
  #17  
Ritter v4.0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Ritter v4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nassau, Bahamas and Duluth, Ga.
Posts: 4,084
Default

WTF. Think of all the other rear engined cars beside Porsche that this is going to effect.

I was thinking about moving to ST in 2014. Guess I will have to think again.
Ritter v4.0 is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 AM
  #18  
jrgordonsenior
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jrgordonsenior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vacuuming Cal Speedway
Posts: 7,294
Default

I've asked Greg Greenbaum on the NASA forum what was the logic behind this .2 penalty for all rear engine cars. We'll see what he says...

Don't forget that along with removing the .4 penalty for factory cup cars, they also modified their weight penalty moving mine from .3 to .1, and moved the penalty for slicks from .75 to .7. All totaled their new changes cost me nothing so I really don't care. I should have won the ST2 and GTS4 Nationals in 2010 (5 second lead when the motor blew), and I expect to compete for those titles at Sears....

Last edited by jrgordonsenior; 12-15-2013 at 01:09 AM.
jrgordonsenior is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 07:38 AM
  #19  
wanna911
Super User
Thread Starter
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,727
Default

JR my problem with that is that any lightweight cars benefit from the weight penalty not just you. So though your counted number looks the same, it's not exactly. So your non 911 competition can still make up some ground on you.

The pfadt Z06 ran a 1:58 in ST2 at miller. I don't know it's specs but it certainly doesn't need any help. There is one of similar nastiness on the east coast. And nasa still thinks it makes sense to penalize cup cars somehow. Our ST3 corvettes will run 1:29 or lower by years end at Road Atlanta. Two classes below a cup. The ST2 Corvette i mentioned has run 1:27.2 (actually it was the old ST2 at 8.7 adjusted). Will be faster now. The fastest a GTC cup has gone ever is 1:24.0 with Leh Keen qualifying for petite. An ST1 Corvette will run similar times.

ON A6's!
wanna911 is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM
  #20  
North Coast Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
North Coast Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 957
Default

I see JR's point with him being in the same spot, but that doesn't not explain why the Cup is penalized vs. the other cars. Like I said, they want these cars in GTS.
I'd like to run my 6Cup in ST occasionally, and with the new rules and slicks it would be at 9.1:1.
North Coast Cab is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 10:19 AM
  #21  
J richard
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
J richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,540
Default

Originally Posted by North Coast Cab View Post
I see JR's point with him being in the same spot, but that doesn't not explain why the Cup is penalized vs. the other cars. Like I said, they want these cars in GTS.
I'd like to run my 6Cup in ST occasionally, and with the new rules and slicks it would be at 9.1:1.
What's your math on that? My spec legal and sealed engine 6 cup comes in at 6,8 smack in the middle of ST1...with monster vettes vipers...
J richard is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 10:42 AM
  #22  
North Coast Cab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
North Coast Cab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 957
Default

8.0
.2 Rear Engine
.2 Weight
.7 Slick
Restricted to around 315-320RWHP
North Coast Cab is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 AM
  #23  
J richard
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
J richard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,540
Default

Is love it if it worked that way!

But unfortunately it's 8 -.2-.7-.2 =6.9 welcome to ST1!

That's what's so unfair about how nasa treats the cups...
J richard is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:15 AM
  #24  
wanna911
Super User
Thread Starter
 
wanna911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: With A Manual Transmission
Posts: 4,727
Default

And now they have just thrown every 911 in the same boat....... as a cup car.


And the justification is that it's less unfair than last year for the cups. But we will punish every other 911 for it.
wanna911 is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 11:48 AM
  #25  
jrgordonsenior
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jrgordonsenior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vacuuming Cal Speedway
Posts: 7,294
Default

What bothers me is that there's no empirical data to support the rear engine car penalty. As others have said, it's the Corvettes that have dominated in the Nationals. They were champions in 3 of the 5 National ST classes this year. As far as I know I'm the only Porsche that's run consistently in a ST class and hardly at all in 2013. It doesn't make sense....
jrgordonsenior is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 12:02 PM
  #26  
mkk62
User
 
mkk62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,098
Default

I'm hoping these changes are only for racing and not time trial rules?

Mk
mkk62 is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 12:26 PM
  #27  
Ritter v4.0
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Ritter v4.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Nassau, Bahamas and Duluth, Ga.
Posts: 4,084
Default

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior View Post
What bothers me is that there's no empirical data to support the rear engine car penalty. As others have said, it's the Corvettes that have dominated in the Nationals. They were champions in 3 of the 5 National ST classes this year. As far as I know I'm the only Porsche that's run consistently in a ST class and hardly at all in 2013. It doesn't make sense....
Usually rule changes like this are for past success, but as you say, where's the data to support. Maybe NASA is getting ahead of the curve and anticipating P-car success in '14 and don't want to deal with complaints next year from their +6L 8cyl front-engined constituents.
Ritter v4.0 is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 02:12 PM
  #28  
jrgordonsenior
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jrgordonsenior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vacuuming Cal Speedway
Posts: 7,294
Default

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4 View Post
Usually rule changes like this are for past success, but as you say, where's the data to support. Maybe NASA is getting ahead of the curve and anticipating P-car success in '14 and don't want to deal with complaints next year from their +6L 8cyl front-engined constituents.
I'll post Greg Greenbaum's (NASA Director) response momentarily, but what he said that caught my attention was how successful Porsche have been in So Cal where he operates out of. He mentioned a ST1 997 cup that dominates (Aspesi), and a ST2 996 (guess who). I think he's projecting out that if more Porsches were to run in the ST classes they would dominate....
jrgordonsenior is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 02:13 PM
  #29  
jrgordonsenior
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
jrgordonsenior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vacuuming Cal Speedway
Posts: 7,294
Default

Greg Greenbaum's response on the NASA forums.....

"This is a lot of complaining about nothing. In fact, it is complaining about allowing 911's to be faster this year than last year! Again:
So, compared to 2013, the Cup cars have improved by a Mod Factor of 0.4 (to 0.45 if on slicks).
For a non-cup 911 at 2600 lbs, there is essentially no change for ST2 and ST1--rear engine Mod Factor = change in Weight Mod Factor (unless on slicks, then improved by 0.05).

The Cup drivers lobbied to get their penalty removed with some of the arguments that they have above--that it is no great magic to build a better race car than a Cup car by starting out with a street car. However, in removing the penalty, plus with the changes in the weight table and the slick points, we were not going to allow a bigger advantage/improvement over 2013 than what is listed above for 911's. As erik911 wrote, his car will IMPROVE in 2014 under these rules. The 996 Cup cars have had a nice improvement allowed for 2014. If it is not enough to bring them in, then too bad, JG (both of you). As you can see from some of the Corvette owners, they will either stay the same, or get an extra 0.1 Mod Factor. So, compared to the class dominating vehicle (for the most part), 911's will be more competitive. Did the other lighter weight cars (many shaped like a box), get a bit more improvement than the 911's? Yes. And, we will see if the fields will now be more competitive all around! Maybe you guys didn't see the 911's that were dominant in ST, but we did in SoCal. We had a 997 Cup dominate TT1/ST1 with multiple track records, and we had a plain old 996 dominate the old ST2; again with multiple track records. That vehicle will be able to slightly improve under these rules.

So, what exactly is a 0.2 Mod Factor assessment in terms of weight? It is about 50-55 lbs in ST3 and ST2, and about 75 lbs in ST1. If it proves to be too much, the nice thing about it, is that it can always be changed."


_________________
Greg Greenbaum
National TT, PT, & ST Director
jrgordonsenior is offline  
Old 12-15-2013, 02:14 PM
  #30  
z06801
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
z06801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 935
Default

Originally Posted by wanna911 View Post
JR my problem with that is that any lightweight cars benefit from the weight penalty not just you. So though your counted number looks the same, it's not exactly. So your non 911 competition can still make up some ground on you.

The pfadt Z06 ran a 1:58 in ST2 at miller. I don't know it's specs but it certainly doesn't need any help. There is one of similar nastiness on the east coast. And nasa still thinks it makes sense to penalize cup cars somehow. Our ST3 corvettes will run 1:29 or lower by years end at Road Atlanta. Two classes below a cup. The ST2 Corvette i mentioned has run 1:27.2 (actually it was the old ST2 at 8.7 adjusted). Will be faster now. The fastest a GTC cup has gone ever is 1:24.0 with Leh Keen qualifying for petite. An ST1 Corvette will run similar times.

ON A6's!
The C5 built by Phadt/VP fuels had detuned, large cube Mass Motorsports motor and driven by Ian(pro open wheel driver) who is a shoe for sure. When it got into the 1:58.xx it was on fresh A6s 345s all the way around. but 20-25 or so HP under for ST2. NASA DQ them off the podium for removing to much inner fender or something stupid after someone complained. I was thinking about moving to ST2 also just to run with a bigger field.
z06801 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NASA penalizes all rear engines.......


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: