Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day in Bay Area - what club?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin: While you love Laguna Seca, many of us think that Sears Point is a much more fun and more difficult track to master.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

^+1. Mike
Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Martin: While you love Laguna Seca, many of us think that Sears Point is a much more fun and more difficult track to master.
For sure! Sears Point is the best track in California by far. While I enjoy Laguna Seca, I find Thunderhill to be more fun and more technical than Laguna Seca. Laguna Seca's major positive in its history.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:19 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 130 Posts

Sears Pt is the best, IMHO. Not as fast as Thunderhill, but very technical, and an absolute blast to drive.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Interesting... yes I have participated in NASA DE. See my post at #7. My first one was at Sears point in 1997 or so. I drove my 951. I remember there was a pickup truck on a high rise suspension and knobby tires in that DE group.

Anyway, a lot has changed with NASA since my first experiences.

Not sure what to make of the comments re: PCA events and age. Perhaps their statistics have changed.

I still believe that the PCA events are the best place to start if you have a Porsche here in the SF Bay area.
You forgot the legends cars, minature NASCARs, open wheel Fords and those old Southwest Touring Cars. It was absolute mayhem back then, but now its very controlled with NASA, albiet a little crowded at times. If you are experienced, the traffic shouldnt phase you, nor should any walls. I agree... the most interesting will be Sears, most fun is thunderhill because its fast, and the most historic, is Laguna. Buttonwillow can be fun too, but its not a pretty sight.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default Track to learn on...

I agree with Tom…Sears Point is more difficult than Laguna Seca, only in that it is very fast and there are quite a few places to hurt oneself with an early apex, Armaco and concrete.

Having driving Laguna Seca, Sears Point and Thunderhill, I recommend Thunderhill for the beginner. Turns 10 - 13 are the only places to hit a wall. The rest of the track has a lot of run off.

Sears Point and Laguna Seca, lots of places to bend a car and potentially suffer personal injury.

Northern California Racing Club (NCRC) is having an event there on March 22-23. I'd be there but I have guests descending upon us. They also have in-car instructors available and a driver development program for rookies. The facilities are gorgeous, there may even be green on the nearby rolling hills, if it ever rains in N. California. The bonus, NCRC events are economical, hotels in Willows are cheap and there is plenty of good grub available. There is a 105 dB sound limit so keep that in mind. Laguna Seca is 90 dB…a stock GT3 can break 90. Don't know about sound at Laguna Seca.
Attached Images  
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

The Thunderhill sound limit is 103 db.....
Old 01-10-2014, 06:38 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Although they don't have many events, check out Audi (ACNA). I've been to many of their events, and they are well run by a very nice group of enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: First track day in Bay Area - what club?