Sponsored by:

Drinking whilst drivng- how to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Its been awhile, but I saw a car that used the windshield washer pump & actuation with a cockpit mounted SS tank to send water to the driver in a tube whenever he actuated the washers.

Worked pretty slick.
It was amazing... Til they filled it with washer fluid...
Old 11-24-2013, 10:36 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
I used a Longacre bottle with the flexible hose & loved it - worked great. The bottle has a bracket that secures it to the roll cage bar.
I've got a spare one I bought for my son's car that I'm selling - PM me if that's of interest. I'll sell for 1/2 of new.
That's what I have- just need to find the best way to negotiate the tube into my helmet and mouth.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:36 AM
gt2urbo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my shop made me an electric water shooter via a used porsche windshield wiper pump. rigged to the water bottle. with a button on the dash. ahh refreshing lol
Old 11-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
I was thinking about that at Barber. Lap 1 find the hose and stick it in yer mouth. Lap 2 open the clamp and take a drink. Lap 3 close clamp.
Lap 4 remove hose. Lap 5 race probably over- proper drink time
I didn't bother with a water bottle at the Barber enduro a few weeks ago. When I came in for my mandatory pit stop, I downed 16 oz of powerade via a straw (stayed in car, helmet on). By the 3rd lap I was ready to puke!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I didn't bother with a water bottle at the Barber enduro a few weeks ago. When I came in for my mandatory pit stop, I downed 16 oz of powerade via a straw (stayed in car, helmet on). By the 3rd lap I was ready to puke!
Forget Powerade/Gatorade/Sugarade - Water is your friend.
Old 11-25-2013, 12:42 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camelback strapped to the cage on the passenger side (where the passenger seat usually is for letter cars....for Gary) INSULATED lines to a windshield washer pump and to the Stilo helmet. push button actuated with a switch beside the gear shift lever.

Before the insulated lines, the first drink was hot....sucked. Insulation keeps it much nicer.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I have a shelf bolted to the passenger seat now, holds my driving essentials and toiletries like toothbrush, deodorant, hairbrush (for the podium pics), and a pitcher of lemonade
Old 11-25-2013, 01:39 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

1+ on insulating the supply line.

The first few gulps can be very hot (mostly in front engine cars). not a big problem in the 911.

personally, I use half gallon igloo drink coolers (zip tied to the roll bar) and ran a clear hose down the spout, and a camelback bite valve on the drinking end. Then I ran the line thru my shoulder belt and into my lap.

I couldn't see the hose but could find it. I ran the hose thru the visor when I needed a drink, and when I dropped it fell into my lap.

for a few long summer races I had 2 igloos, (water and Gatoraid).

Easiest/cheapest 2 seconds, I ever found.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:07 PM
turbochad
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Nothing beats a Pro style drink system. Button on the steering wheel, insulated quick change bottle, pump driven (I use 993 washer pump), insulated tubing, cool suit connectors integrated with the helmet radio whip, connected to a block on the seat halo, tube through helmet with brass nipple that sprays the water jet straight into your mouth on demand with no tubes in your mouth while driving. I often give myself a squirt every other lap. Keeps my mouth wet and me comfortable. In the event of an emergency car exit the tubing simply tears off, no biggie. Same basic system used my almost every pro team. Water only, no sugar drinks.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by turbochad
Nothing beats a Pro style drink system. Button on the steering wheel, insulated quick change bottle, pump driven (I use 993 washer pump), insulated tubing, cool suit connectors integrated with the helmet radio whip, connected to a block on the seat halo, tube through helmet with brass nipple that sprays the water jet straight into your mouth on demand with no tubes in your mouth while driving. I often give myself a squirt every other lap. Keeps my mouth wet and me comfortable. In the event of an emergency car exit the tubing simply tears off, no biggie. Same basic system used my almost every pro team. Water only, no sugar drinks.
Would like to see pics of this next time you have the opportunity.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:52 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Longacre drink bottle has a bite valve. Very basic but it gets the job done.

https://vimeo.com/80337121
Old 11-26-2013, 03:21 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

I have tried the Longacre system and a Camelbak on test days... found it all a little cumbersome. Especially monkeying around with the bite valves. I am still not completely convinced of the benefits for sprint races of less than 45 minutes.

Last winter I fabbed up a new system with breakaway connectors and a washer pump, and with a momentary switch, but I have yet to try it. I am curious to learn more about the brass nipple mentioned in a previous post--- might be better to deal with than a bite valve.

I know that Gatorade had a brief marketing campaign on this back in 2008. I believe at Daytona, featuring a very expensive and heavy in car system that was available commercially from BSR if I recall correctly. I doubt CamelBak has ever created a system for racing... cannot remember whether I made such a suggestion when I was in touch with the CEO (a college classmate). Not sure such a thing would even by remotely near their wheelhouse, which I think includes some serious DOD business.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

BSR called it the Gatorade Drink System.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:12 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
That's what I have- just need to find the best way to negotiate the tube into my helmet and mouth.
I find having a drink bottle while sitting on the grid or even towards the end of a sprint, especially if you are working hard to be of great help.

It takes a little preparation before you go out, but I tape the hose to the net or side of the driver seat with enough slack to reach my mouth. Taping usually makes it easy to grab unless the tape fails. I raise the visor to reach the tube to my mouth. It is easier than going under the helmet.

Just be careful for the mouthbite not to fall off when the tube gets hot and expands. I sometimes use tape around it as well.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

This is for enduros in the SE when you'd kill for a sip of water after an hour.

No room for the bite valve in my helmet with microphone there but I did get a fitting with a 90 degree bend - it has a twist on/off but a little tricky to work in the heat of action with gloves. I think I'll leave it open and use a clamp on the tube. I just need to find a good spot to locate it- handy but out of the way.

Quick Reply: Drinking whilst drivng- how to?