Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help with AIM MXL

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:02 AM
cetom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i finally figured out the problem . the remote usb cord was shorting out the system . i removed this and all is good . thanks all and thanks amso3
Old 11-28-2013, 01:05 PM
cetom
Instructor

jerry was kind enough to help and so the AIM unit is up and running. thanks
may i ask for some additional help. i have a motec MADXL3 , which is a three axis accelerometer. there is a wire coming out of it that i have not opened up yet . i am guessing or hoping that there are 3 pair of wires ,one for each axis .the wire terminates in what i think is a custom 6 pin female connector.
anyway, i would like to use this sensor as part of my AIM PISTA unit.so once i get the wires sorted out should i just attach them to like channel 2,3 and 4 and use them as generic linear 0-5v potentiometers
thank you and have a great holiday
Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

You're plan should be ok. What brand accelerometer? You will probably have 5 wires out: voltage in, ground, then x reading, y reading, and z reading. You will only have to power from one channel and will need to know if it's 5 or 12 volts (or doesn't care). Should be pretty easy.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:15 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Accelerometer

Ron

I found this schematic on the Motec website. You do not need to connect all three accelerometers, you have a Lat Acc in the dash, you don't need a Vert Acc so you only need to wire the Longitudinal ACC. I've also attached the wiring color chart for the AIM Pista channel extensions. I'd cut the end off an AIM extension and verify that the Blue wire is 5V before you connect. You can verify it's function by going on-line and turning the accelerometer 90 degrees (before you mount it. It should go from 0 to 1 G as you rotate.
Attached Images   
Old 11-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I would still hook up all three directions. It would be interesting if you mount the 3 axis sensor right at the Cg to compare it to the lat G in the dash. Also, with the vertical G you can do some math to figure out percent of traction used.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:35 AM
cetom
Instructor

thank you very much for the above . i will get the work done this weekend .
when i get it all connected doi calibrate the acelerometer automatically with the aim unit or do i have to build a special sensor table. i know these questions are rudimentary but i had someone else do the work initially and so this is my first time with an installation
is there there some standard or accepted way of knowing where the cg is
thanks
Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Looking further, you will only be able to use the vertical and horizontal accelerometers. In the channel setup, you'll select longitudinal and vertical accelerometers. They don't have an option for the lateral one because there is on in the dash. If you build a custom sensor, it won't let you calibrate it how you need to.

As for finding the CG, check out http://www.how-to-build-hotrods.com/...f-gravity.html
Old 11-29-2013, 11:08 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ron

Porsche mounts the accelerometer in the center of the car on the tunnel, behind the driver seat where the rear seat cushion would start. That should be adequate.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:50 AM
cetom
Instructor

thanks. we are doing the intall today or monday. its funny how quickly the tunnel gets filled up with stuff. i also use a 4 camera raceeeper unit and we plan on also mounting it on the tunnel .
i understand now (i think) how to attach the acceleromter to the aim. the aim unit itself has the lat accel. within the channel choices there is vertical and horizontal acccel. horizontal will become" longitude".
sometimes i have to remind myself that getting good at setting up and understanding data isn't the goal . the goal is driving fast consistently.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:58 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by cetom
sometimes i have to remind myself that getting good at setting up and understanding data isn't the goal . the goal is driving fast consistently.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Quick Reply: need some help with AIM MXL