Sponsored by:

A lesson for you that are new to slicks

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:35 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Ug, you had to bring up that. That's how I took off the front end of my car.
But yours was not even on the track yet was it?
Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This topic gets better by the minute
Old 11-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,870 Likes on 968 Posts

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
I don't think I can open the wheel at that point. Doing that will get me in the grass on the left.
Listen to SG. He knows of what he speaks.

Enjoy the new toy.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:21 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 311 Posts

IMVHO it takes a D&MN good drive to run slicks in the rain (my goal)
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't think I can open the wheel at that point. Doing that will get me in the grass on the left.

Let me post some screenshots
here are last thoughts on this...
1. these are suggestions. figur eout what works for you, what doesnt. take what does, use. those that dont, junk.
2. im not suggesting you open it full, but you start to take wheel out and add gas in. goes back to that static concept of 100%. if you're 100% gas, you cant have much wheel if at all in it. if you're 80% wheel, you cant have much gas. brake gas wheel need to have some semblance to 100, more or less.

but on my video player at 8 seconds, for certain you can start to take a lot of wheel out. its pregressive, but you unwind. not snap unwind but you unwind and take the distortion out of the tire, you actually end up with more front end grip.

i mean, just look at the video again as your car is at that cone on the right. your have like 30, 40degrees of wheel in the car, but you're pointed almost straight down the track albeit angled a little to the left. what directi do you think your tires are pointing (to the right 40 degrees or so) when your car is /should be headed straight down the track. its sliding across the tire. i think we'd all agree the car goes faster and has more grip if the wheel is straight, assuming you want to go straight. the car has momentum in it, the car is already bending or bent around that turn. you need to get ahead, time-wise of the next bit, and unwind. its the same as reacting to a slide.

look at your slide, you had too much wheel in the car, you stepped on the gas, the backend started to step out and only then did you unwind, let alone counter lock

so, the car snaps around.
can you get away with it? of course. we all get away with stuff all the time. good tires, balanced car, camber in the road, proper adhesion, good tire temps, smooth throttle, etc.
and mainly being less than 10/10ths.

dont take this the wrong way...but when a car is less than 10/10ths, and i mean a true 10/10ths, everyting is ok to do. you can go through apexes all whacky and off line and casual when you/re 7/10ths. miss an apex or two at 10/10ths in a cup car and you're going into a wall.

anyway, i dont mean to cause you to be defensive. i have a few years in cup cars, a few track records on some high speed tracks in some various cars, venues, not that any of that matters. there are many dudes on this site, and thousands elswhere with more skills, but i try hard to get better.
and one of the things more than one quality instructor always told me, is the same as i'm telling you...open you hands. the faster you can get them open wile making the turn, the faster you'll go, the more stable you'll be.

anyway, ive said my two cents on this. great driving. mayb ejust try it. force yourself to open up quicker. see what happens to lap times and yeah, you're goingto come closer to that exit curb grass, but youll be faster for sure. its just figuring out the balance.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:56 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In analysis I would also look at mechanical structure and try to visualize/understand what else may have been in play here. Your OEM diff is ramped 40/60. Assuming it's in working order think about how that may or may not have affected your car's balance when you hit that wet spot and subsequently went throttle up. Many interesting possibilities.....
Old 11-06-2013, 05:19 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by SG-ZSAMotorsport
look at your slide, you had too much wheel in the car, you stepped on the gas, the backend started to step out and only then did you unwind, let alone counter lock
My whole point was that i did not step on the gas there. I barely touched the throttle. It seems to me that some people here think I wanted to start accelerating at that point and that was absolutely not the case. I knew I drove through water and so I had to be very gentle with the right foot.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Kharz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think anyone who posts videos of their mistakes are amazing people. Not only can they get good feedback; but newbies like myself can try and learn some of the hard learned lessons.

thank you!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Karen England
Your goal is apparently to crash....
Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are extremely fortunate to have people like SG and others take from their valuable time and help us look at other possibilities from their eyes which have spent hundreds of hours analyzing their own video and data to see stuff some of us can't..
Once a video is put online to show whatever, you subject it to critique ( which is a good thing) accept it or not is your choice! I do not have the background to comment of what I see but want to thank you for posting your video and also thank those with a wealth of knowledge for taking the time to comment. IT is greatly appreciated by many of us!!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

As I said before, I'll try getting the logger data here this weekend. Will be more food for thought/discussions
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM
ir_fuel
Drifting

That, or a complete lack of brain cells.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Your goal is apparently to crash....
Are you the instructor?
That, or a complete lack of brain cells.
Well, I am blonde
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Are you the instructor?
I don't have a deathwish, so no thank you..
Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Steve113
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 150 Posts

SG nailed it on the head "look at your slide, you had too much wheel in the car"

wet tires that don't stay wet as long as you think and the input you once needed must be corrected way faster then you think. Almost like dropping some wheels on the exit of a turn coming back on with just a touch to much input and the tires catch and send you to the inside barrier. It happens at almost every event

Quick Reply: A lesson for you that are new to slicks