Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 995 Likes on 595 Posts
Default What's inside your Bilstein Shocks

I thought people might find this interesting. This is the guts of a Bilstein front shock insert for an 70-87 911. I bought these inserts and were told they came out of an SC with 187k miles. By looking at things, these may have been the original shocks.

Here is what you are looking at. The first photos is the shaft with everything on it. Starting on the left is the top rod guide, seal, droop limiting bump stop, steel washer, rubber washer, then the piston assembly. To the far right is the gas separating piston that separates the oil and nitrogen charge.

The next shot is just a close up of the parts that go with the shock shaft, followed by a photo of the piston assembly together. You can see the steel piston seal around the middle of the piston. Note the heavy staking of the nut on the shaft!

The next photo is of the piston assembly apart. The piston is in the middle. Surrounding it are shims (precision thickness and diameter spring steel washers) followed by regular shock washers and the nut to hold it all together on the right.

The close up photo is a shot of the compression side of the piston. It was originally completely smooth. The pitting is a result of cavitation which is caused by not enough nitrogen pressure or too fast shock movements.

Next photo is just a shot of the divider piston and the o ring on it. You're looking at the oil side of it in the photo.

Final shot is the old oil. It is nasty! This oil originally had the color of engine oil - mostly clear tan colored. It is broken down, has lost it's viscosity, and doesn't lubricate the way it should anymore.
Attached Images        
Old 10-24-2013, 05:36 PM
harveyf
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 329 Posts

Cool! Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:20 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

That's why I love Bilsteins. A Koni would have been in the dumpster in pieces decades ago.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I figured a couple of things out to get them apart and to get them back together. For all intents and purposes, both regular Bilsteins and Koni's are not user rebuildable.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:42 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

huh, I thought they were filled with nougat.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:54 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

What kind of oil did you put back?
Old 10-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Haven't reassembled yet. I'm working on a couple of different valve options. With all the data I have, I think I can come up with something significantly better than people have.

For oil, there are a lot of options out there. I will probably use oil from Bilstein.

Quick Reply: What's inside your Bilstein Shocks