Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgraded to enclosed trailer - how to outfit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:20 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default upgraded to enclosed trailer - how to outfit?

I found a decent deal on a 26' enclosed trailer with AC, a window, and reasonably finished out on the inside (vinyl on the walls instead of wood). I picked it up the other week and im looking to get some ideas of finishing it out into a full on toy hauler. The idea would be to hopefully make it comfortable enough for the family to come along with me to the track for a race weekend.

Anyone have any good pics to get some ideas? I see a few places with fold out couches and beds, etc. Are those comfortable enough and convenient enough to look into?
Old 09-25-2013, 07:26 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 756 Posts

Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Blitz128
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent idea for time between races...
Old 09-25-2013, 11:50 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Making it comfortable for the family is a must if you want to keep racing....

I had a custom 22' Look Trailer built this year. I am VERY happy with their quality.
I had "L" shaped cabinets with a closet (big fan of the closet, get one if you can- it holds EZ-ups and chairs- Sleeping bags etc). Also a generator provision and rollout/door. I also got the cabinets above, and they hold a ton of stuff (collapsible cot, bungie/tie down straps, towels, etc).
Another must have, but often overlooked is the trailer spare "Basement". Keeps the spare under the floor of the trailer with a trap door. It does not take up valuable space on the inside wall.
A/C is key (I had the walls/roof insulated when built)
2 Windows

Things I added after I towed a few times:
Jackstand holder (make sure to use a bungie cord to hold them down)
Workstation with fold down work tray (oil, fluids, paper towels etc)
LCD TV with built in DVD for the little guy
Microwave
Inverter
Winch

Next on the list- Convertible sofa to mount to wall on the passenger side.
Attached Images       
Old 09-25-2013, 02:29 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Its always too small.
Just go big and save yourself the hassle.

This would work:
http://www.racingjunk.com/Used-Trail...GOOSENECK.html

I'm ordering one now.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:30 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I found a decent deal on a 26' enclosed trailer with AC, a window, and reasonably finished out on the inside (vinyl on the walls instead of wood). I picked it up the other week and im looking to get some ideas of finishing it out into a full on toy hauler. The idea would be to hopefully make it comfortable enough for the family to come along with me to the track for a race weekend.

Anyone have any good pics to get some ideas? I see a few places with fold out couches and beds, etc. Are those comfortable enough and convenient enough to look into?
You will be surprised by how little room you will have in a 26-ft trailer once you have it kitted out. I have a 26-ft also that has pretty much the same set up as Plavan. That spot between the cabinets and the front of the car fills up pretty quick.

As an alternative to permanant furnishings, I have seen some trailers that used blow up beds and curtains to divide the trailer. You will need to either be able to plug in to a power source as most generators out there are pretty thirsty.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:40 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

I was thinking more along the lines of things like this:
http://www.blazinbelltech.com/furniture.html

or beds that drop down from the ceiling. pack up the car and trailer nice and tight, and once at the track turn the trailer into a nice living area.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

There. Is. So much to put into one of these that the list breaks down quickly into need, want, nice.

IMHO Need

Winch putting the car away after a hard weekend much easier. We used a super winch with the nylon cord, strong as heck, lightweight and does not require gloves. ie family friendly.

Wall mounted fold down tire racks that can hold your tires up above the car. We use pit boss.

Wall mounted garage for your floor jack keeps it upright and secure no damage to the trailer, car, or folks.

110 and 12 v lighting, plus a couple of big batteries. In our rig we have 6 deep cycle but don't think you would need that or have room.

Make sure like a boat everything has a place and is tied down, no mater how smoothly you drive the. Roa will move everything not secured. We ran j track down both sides of the trailer at 2 different heights. Makes using snap rings to hold everything easy.

Since you mentioned family, a flat screen tv mounted to the wall with bungee tie downs both directions to isolate on the road. We put in the type with self contained DVD. Also makes a great monitor to view your data and track video if you have they system.

Awnings outside to keep everyone out of the heat, chair holders, big ice chest.

From here you could add anything we had room for a speller ate living quarters, but fold down bunks are good. Also look at vinyl striping for the rear and. Side door, hold in air and. Heat while allowing light so everyone does not get that bottom of the Ship feeling.

Built in tool box good, rear facing spot log mounted above rear door to shine on ramp and further out great for late loading. Room for small air compressor. Pit crew also makes tons of holders you might want to look at. Silly things like a flashlight holder have a whole new meaning when you need it for the car or a child. I would also set up an area reachable form outside for your air gauges, torque wrench, time marker so that where they are. Because they are always there when you set up.

Our trailer is 48 foot built for two cars and living qtrs and I still don't have enough room.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Timely thread, looking at having a trailer built by Becker to go with my new tow vehicle.

This is a Becker car hauler with a few options.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

That's more than a few options
I'm building 46' this time.
ATC Featherlite or intech seem the top 3.
All about 60-75k.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The photo above looks like an ATC...

I just had ATC do a 32' gooseneck that has a similar look:

Old 09-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dizzyj: It might help if you post pictures of your trailer so that folks can see how it's currently configured.

I have an enclosed Intech trailer on order, my first enclosed, that's due to be delivered next month so I'm watching this thread with interest.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:38 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Here she is. I like that the walls had vinyl vs wood and I liked the big window. I think first priorities will be to get some lights and seating. I think I could turn this into a very comfortable place to hang out at the track once the car is unloaded
It does have kind of a strange thing. there is a table on the front has the fuel tank for the generator. Is that normal?
Attached Images   
Old 09-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
That's more than a few options
I'm building 46' this time.
ATC Featherlite or intech seem the top 3.
All about 60-75k.
I am 1/2 owner on a ATC for kart racing, my little DE tag along trailer for the GT2 built by Aluma, and a good friend has an inTech also for karting. In my mind, inTech hands down.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Much good advice here. I would add that you don't want permanent beds in your trailer stealing wall space and areas for strapping. Use camp cots that fold up. A tire rack that is removable can make the trailer more accommodating for camping too.

Here's my tire rack. There's a thread here somewhere with all the info:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 9868
Size:  599.3 KB

Quick Reply: upgraded to enclosed trailer - how to outfit?