5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

2013 Grand Prix of Singapore

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I thought it was pretty cool. But I'm not surprised they got "reprimanded." And I too bet Webber couldn't care less...

I read that Kimi also slowed down (as you can see in this vid) but saw that Alonso already had pick-up duties taken care of:

Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The haters will always find something to hate about. Glad to see Kimi and Alonso on the same team next yr.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:42 PM
enduro911
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As with most governing bodies, the FIA must continue to justify its own existence by interfering on occasion.

On a related note, has anyone else noticed that when a set of rules that will largely influence how the cars will be constructed gets set into place and is then left there, that one constructor tends to dominate that "era"? If the FIA wants to really justify its existence maybe there should be putting more thought into how the cars should be evolving so that we don't have such dominance? Just a thought and I'm sure that there will be people who disagree with me.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Alonso is, without a doubt, the best starter in F1.
Unfortunately, she is also the second best finisher.

A great race for Alonso and Ferrari
The Nelson Piquet Jr. Memorial Singapore Safety Car was solely responsible for Alonso not being lapped and finishing 3rd.

A very well deserved 2nd....I think Ferrari can probably stop trying to develop the 2013 car...
Old 09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breaking News From Singapore!

Kimi doubles Alonso's performance. Shades of what next year may hold?

In other news; Sebastian Vettel runs 2 seconds a lap faster than the rest of 'The Best' throughout the race.

Mark Webber's driving style damages his car again. This time he retires on the last lap.

Nico Rosberg wakes up in the final stages of the race to turn in a few impressive laps.

Sadly, Lewis Hamilton just could not get his car dialed in to suite his driving style this weekend and it cost him a chance at another pole and podium finish.

Romain Grosean was putting in an impresive performance until the hydrolics in his car let him down. He may have hurt his F1 cause beyond this race and by criticizing his car and, by extension, the team.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

Isn't that one of the Singapore stewards riding on Berger's Ferrari? Maybe he just had an issue with Webber riding side-saddle......
Attached Images   
Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Default Happy New Year Ferrari F1

Some would appear to think that New Year's Eve will be as good as it gets for Ferrari and DV next season.....it will be all downhill from there.

Ferrari should forget 2014 F1 title hopes says Lotus's Alan Permane
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, September 24th 2013, 15:10 GMT

Fernando Alonso has been told he is dreaming if he thinks that the 2014 Formula 1 rule changes offer a total reset in Ferrari's bid to beat Red Bull.

The Spaniard said after defeat at the Singapore Grand Prix that his focus was on next year's title battle, because the change to new V6 turbo engines will mean everyone starts from zero.

But Lotus trackside operations director Alan Permane thinks that the scale of Red Bull's current advantage is such that the outfit is still going to be ahead at the start of 2014.

"It is not like Caterham and Marussia are going to start on a level playing field," Permane told AUTOSPORT. "It is not going to happen.

"There will be a bit of a reset, but there won't be a total reset.

"Sebastian [Vettel] has got a two second per lap advantage now, and he is going to carry some of that advantage over into next year.

"And let's face it - Red Bull are better at building a quicker car now, so why are they not going to be better at building it next year?

"I guess there is the impact of the engine, but there is no reason to believe that Renault will not do a competent job with that. They should be fine.

"You can be sure he [Vettel] will have the power and the engine will be fuel efficient.

"Red Bull are still going to be the team to beat next year, and Vettel will be the man to beat."

Permane admitted that the extent of Vettel's advantage in Singapore had been a shock.

"It is 2.5 seconds per lap," he said. "That has got to be mostly him [Vettel], as Mark Webber wasn't anywhere near that.

"I don't suspect he goes flat out apart from qualifying and times like that. It is soul destroying for everyone honestly.

"If I was Fernando, talking about winning the championship? Forget it, they are not even close.

"And they won't even be close next year, if they [Red Bull] have got that sort of advantage now."
Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM
uffrank
Intermediate

Hamilton.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wait , What ..!!!

Yeah Vettel is so "fast " , 2 seconds faster than his teammate, winning everything, must be the greatest Hevar, where have I heard this before ........
Guess we will all have to wait for his to return after the obligatory forced retirement to see his true Faux qualities ..

Go Vettel ...........
Old 09-25-2013, 02:44 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Speaking of forced retirement .. welcome back.

Which one of the Alonso Athletic Supporters / Ferrari Wind Tunnel Booster Club members hit speed dial and asked you to help out?

Just to bring you up to speed since you last graced the F1 discussions...

Alonso has failed to win a WDC driving for Ferrari, but has found new and creative ways to finish 2nd.

Another German has taken Schumacher's place atop Formula 1

That's about it.
You've got your work cut out for you ... so let the Spin Begin
Old 09-25-2013, 04:11 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Yeah Vettel, must be the greatest
There isn't anyone here who is claiming Vettel is the greatest. F1 has always been about the complete driver/car/team package first versus individual driving prowess. With that said, the Vettel + Red Bull package is the best right now as the young German is poised to claim his forth consecutive WDC in the Red Bull. To say that anyone else has a better driver/car/team package than the current Vettel + Red Bull package is just a case of not being willing to deal with reality.

By the way did you listen to what Vettel said at the end of the Singapore race? You know the part about how this was a complete team effort.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,475 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I can't help but give Vettel less credit the more he wins and more and more credit to the car. However, I quickly come back to reality when I see that his teammate cannot do what Vettel does. There is a special synergy when you put the RB with Vettel that cannot be duplicated. It's not an accident that he can get 2+ seconds more out of the car when he is told to do so by his pitwall. Webber cannot do that.

Little known fact was that after the Monza race, RBR had a Pirelli test by themselves in Spain. As Newey once said, a three day tire test will make them 1 full second faster. That was achieved at the young driver test when they put Riccardo in the RBR and it seems to have been true again after this race.

I thought Alonso raced well, but is always first loser. Although Massa out qualified Alonso, he seems to have an anchor attached to him and goes backwards after the lights go out. Having Kimi in that seat, will be special -- Bad, back, qualified 13th and still make it onto the podium is simply awesome!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Pete,
There are some on track similarities between Vettel/RBR and Schumacher/Ferrari.

Michael had the ability to turn qualifying laps (or faster) on queue from Ross. This allowed them tremendous strategy flexibility, something no one else has been able to replicate.
(pause here to allow the recently returned M. Schumacher official RL biographer to compose a pithy retort)

Sebastian has the ability to sprint on the first 2 laps, negating the effect of DRS on his lead. No other driver has been able to do the same. Rocky also has to remind Vettel that he doesn't need to turn consistently fast laps once the gap has been established, allowing them to react to strategy changes behind them.

Vettel is still maturing, so it remains to be seen how close he comes to Michael as he gets past the halfway point in his career.

In any event, I enjoy witnessing it, since it doesn't come around very often in the sport (the complete package: designer, driver, team principal, team owner, pit crew, factory, all working together....basically the opposite of the DV era at Ferrari)....and yes, I enjoy DV getting snakebit by his past karma ... that's just a bonus.

It's too bad DV wasn't such a flaming a$$hole...perhaps RBR would have offered him Webber's seat.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I can't help but give Vettel less credit the more he wins and more and more credit to the car. However, I quickly come back to reality when I see that his teammate cannot do what Vettel does. There is a special synergy when you put the RB with Vettel that cannot be duplicated. It's not an accident that he can get 2+ seconds more out of the car when he is told to do so by his pitwall. Webber cannot do that.

Little known fact was that after the Monza race, RBR had a Pirelli test by themselves in Spain. As Newey once said, a three day tire test will make them 1 full second faster. That was achieved at the young driver test when they put Riccardo in the RBR and it seems to have been true again after this race.

I thought Alonso raced well, but is always first loser. Although Massa out qualified Alonso, he seems to have an anchor attached to him and goes backwards after the lights go out. Having Kimi in that seat, will be special -- Bad, back, qualified 13th and still make it onto the podium is simply awesome!
Pete, the car is always the enabling or limiting factor in being at or near the front, but the driver must be able to get every last 10th of performance from the machine to be at the front. And the driver must do this consistently, lap after lap, race after race, to win WDCs and WCCs. If you look at the qualifying times you see 3-4 cars within a few 10ths of each other, yet when the lights went out one driver ran 2.5 sec/laps better times THROUGHOUT the race. Without safety cars Vettel would have lapped most if not all the field. Webber is a top 5 driver but he seldom finishes close to Vettel in the same car.
Reading articles and listening to the commentary, it is becoming clear that most people have accepted the fact that Vettel is a dominate driver much like MS in his day.

Originally Posted by ltc
Pete,
There are some on track similarities between Vettel/RBR and Schumacher/Ferrari.

Michael had the ability to turn qualifying laps (or faster) on queue from Ross. This allowed them tremendous strategy flexibility, something no one else has been able to replicate.
(pause here to allow the recently returned M. Schumacher official RL biographer to compose a pithy retort)

Sebastian has the ability to sprint on the first 2 laps, negating the effect of DRS on his lead. No other driver has been able to do the same. Rocky also has to remind Vettel that he doesn't need to turn consistently fast laps once the gap has been established, allowing them to react to strategy changes behind them.

Vettel is still maturing, so it remains to be seen how close he comes to Michael as he gets past the halfway point in his career.

In any event, I enjoy witnessing it, since it doesn't come around very often in the sport (the complete package: designer, driver, team principal, team owner, pit crew, factory, all working together....basically the opposite of the DV era at Ferrari)....and yes, I enjoy DV getting snakebit by his past karma ... that's just a bonus.

It's too bad DV wasn't such a flaming a$$hole...perhaps RBR would have offered him Webber's seat.
The synergy between driver and team at RB is a thing of beauty to watch. What makes it an all the more cohesive unit is the recognition and sharing of the success and glory. Vettel never fails to include the team in his victories and I can not recall a time when he blamed the team or the car for his failures. It is going to be enjoyable to watch as he and RBR moves into the number 1 or 2 all time in all statistical categories.

DV may have had the talent in the car to reach these heights, but he lacks the personality and selflessness to share the glory and work in a team environment. This is why he struggles anywhere he goes. Too bad for his BW fans.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by paradisenb
DV may have had the talent in the car to reach these heights, but he lacks the personality and selflessness to share the glory and work in a team environment. This is why he struggles anywhere he goes. Too bad for his BW fans.
Agreed...but having said that, both you and I are now automatically labeled as Haters....I'm fine with that.

Quick Reply: 2013 Grand Prix of Singapore