Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where To buy a Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 03:16 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Panorama classified always has good cars listed.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:31 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 138 Posts

If you are concerned about tracking the 993 C2S, then here's a good candidate for a starter car. Priced right. (No affiliation with the car whatsoever)

http://dorkiphus.net/porsche/showthread.php?t=30942
Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

For under $30 a spec box or easily a 944 spec is a good candidate, with the restricted mods they are easily driven to the track for a DE. Finding one that has been started with the basic safely items but still street legal is a good option. Don't rough up a C2S, you will regret it later, too many candidates out there.

Since you've just started you have some time, but building seat time in a car you will ultimately be racing is a very good idea.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I would look at what the fields consist of at tracks you would actually race at and go from there. No guarantee they will be the same size fields in 4 years but at least it's an educated guess. IMO learn to drive in what you may/will be racing, especially if it's a 911. I would start out with a car prepped darn close to full race yet streetable if you don't want to trailer. You will be trailering soon enough...
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

I have a 944 Turbo that just dynoed at 380 crank hp. It has a full-cage with seats and harnesses but softer springs and a set of RA-1s so it can be driven to the track and home although it is still loud and admittedly harsh. It has LSD and a Lindsey Racing built motor. I am asking 17K for it OBO. It has a Minnesota registration with collectors plates. Due to the lack of inertial-reel seatbelts and no catalytic converter it is not technically street legal and would not pass a smog check but we don't have that here. Car is fast for the money. No logbook - car is DE only to date with only a few thousand miles on the rebuilt motor. LSD has only 2 track days. Recent leakdown was good. PPI at race shop can be arranged. PM if interested.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...944-turbo.html

Couldn't resist it. Sorry!

I have some affiliation, I mean love for this car.

Last edited by samluke; 09-16-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:18 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nader Fotouhi
In MHO, if you are 3-5 years away from racing, you do not need a race car, as almost any highly developed purpose built race car requires towing to the track. If towing is not in your plan, find out where you would like to race (or at least what Marquee) and buy a similar type of DE prepared car that has adequate (read compromise) track prep that you could drive to the track. Then when you are ready to race, swap for a race car.
This

Originally Posted by 911racer
Your first step should be to research the group you want to race with. Pick the guys and the kind of cars you want to race with and then talk to them about where they bought thier cars.
This

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Since you've only done one event, I would do a few more in what you have.
And this
Old 09-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Upstate101
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in the same position as the OP a year and a half ago. I started with a stock E36 M3 which has slowly and progressively been transformed into a (barely) street-legal track car. It can be driven to the track - by my son - I will only trailer it. M3 became son's track car and I now have a 944 S2 which is basically a race car but only used for DE's and always trailered.
Both of these cars fit within your budget, and IMHO make great track cars especially for someone just starting at this. Not too powerful, neutral handling, and -at least in the case of the M3 - a strong aftermarket for performance parts.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Gino230
Advanced

I know this may sound silly but:

What stops you from driving a race car to the track?

Here in Florida, there are no inspections so if you can get a tag, you can get insurance, and therefore.....

Just asking because I'm getting ready to buy a 944 spec racer, most of them still have headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc.

DE's followed by Racing is my plan and I already have a tow vehicle and enclosed trailer for my motorcycle racing program, so it's the next logical step to get a bigger trailer (or just a second trailer as alot of these cars seem to come with them!?!) and tow to the track.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gino230
I know this may sound silly but:

What stops you from driving a race car to the track?

Here in Florida, there are no inspections so if you can get a tag, you can get insurance, and therefore.....

Just asking because I'm getting ready to buy a 944 spec racer, most of them still have headlights, tail lights, turn signals, etc.

DE's followed by Racing is my plan and I already have a tow vehicle and enclosed trailer for my motorcycle racing program, so it's the next logical step to get a bigger trailer (or just a second trailer as alot of these cars seem to come with them!?!) and tow to the track.
A couple reasons -
Cage bar in front of your forehead with no helmut
3 point harnesses that allow movement (into cage) still there? Otherwise 5-6 point w/o Hans/Helmut = broken neck
Teeth jarring ride
Race tires on the street = flat or wasted wear
Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Gino230
Advanced

So I could drive to the track with my helmet and HANS on?

JK thanks for the pointers. I had heard that you shouldn't drive a caged car on the street but didn't know why.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:10 AM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

With all due respect, what is so special about a 993 C2S that you shouldn't go out and track it like crazy? After just one DE you are pretty far from knowing enough to go out and buy a track car, much less a full-on racecar.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:18 PM
Bully67
Racer

Originally Posted by raspritz
With all due respect, what is so special about a 993 C2S that you shouldn't go out and track it like crazy? After just one DE you are pretty far from knowing enough to go out and buy a track car, much less a full-on racecar.
Nothing. Just considering my alternative of starting a conversion over to a more track based car - seats, harness, upgrade suspension . . . - I feel my money would be better spent on something that is much closer to track than street (not race). Almost everything I've read says it is much cheaper to buy a finished or near completed car than trying to build. My knowledge base clearly would make the later impossible. Otherwise I sell the C2S and take the cash and buy something else. I plan on having the 993 for a long time and it is my preference to preserve it at this point in time.

Thanks to everyone for the input and links to available cars. My gut tell me go for the 911 as a platform, wallet saying 944. Boxster I think is out of reach now but in 3-5 years would be perfect. BMW is an intriguing option but I don't see it as where I want to go. I will continue to do my research and educate myself but in the spring I will buy something to help me keep moving forward.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

For $20K you can get a 944 pretty well prepped for the track, a trailer, AND a used tow vehicle! Any solid 911, regardless of year, will cost you that just for the car...
Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

walk around the paddock of any PCA race. everything is for sale.

Quick Reply: Where To buy a Track Car?