Sponsored by:

Where To buy a Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To buy a Track Car?

Just completed my first DE weekend and I'm considering making the next step. I doubt I'll run my 993 C2S on the track again. My time frame would be 6-9 months for finding a street legal track car - no trailer, etc for now. Not sure where my budget will be but definitely less than $30K for now. I've been reading about the spec boxsters, 944 cup series and working through the SCCA site. If I race likely 3-5years before I give it a shot.

Where should I look for a car? PPI principles the same and does that need to be done at a race shop?

Obviously I've checked here and found a few websites with google search but looking for more direction.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

IMHO,

if you want to race, make sure the car you buy can pass tech for the class you want to race with. (does the car have a current log book).

I see a lot of very nice cars that have mods that make it expensive or impossible to pass tech for PCA/SCCA/NASA.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RL classifieds is a great place to start.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bully67
Just completed my first DE weekend and I'm considering making the next step. I doubt I'll run my 993 C2S on the track again. My time frame would be 6-9 months for finding a street legal track car - no trailer, etc for now. Not sure where my budget will be but definitely less than $30K for now. I've been reading about the spec boxsters, 944 cup series and working through the SCCA site. If I race likely 3-5years before I give it a shot.

Where should I look for a car? PPI principles the same and does that need to be done at a race shop?

Obviously I've checked here and found a few websites with google search but looking for more direction.
In MHO, if you are 3-5 years away from racing, you do not need a race car, as almost any highly developed purpose built race car requires towing to the track. If towing is not in your plan, find out where you would like to race (or at least what Marquee) and buy a similar type of DE prepared car that has adequate (read compromise) track prep that you could drive to the track. Then when you are ready to race, swap for a race car.

Last edited by Nader Fotouhi; 09-16-2013 at 11:58 AM. Reason: revised
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
911racer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your first step should be to research the group you want to race with. Pick the guys and the kind of cars you want to race with and then talk to them about where they bought thier cars. maybe they can even give you a lead on one for sale.

Racingjunk.com is also a good place to look.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:10 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

There are some great cars and deals on the SCCA forum.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 PM
Steve113
Drifting

Received 298 Likes on 151 Posts

self promotion - https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-race-car.html
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

my budget will be but definitely less than $30K for now. I've been reading about the spec boxsters, 944 cup series
spec boxster with such budget will not work, 944 can be found around, you can also look at E36 based race cars on bimmer forums.

I am not sure if any pre-built 944 racer will be street legal, you may have better luck with a half-built E36 based racer.
But to drive a caged car on a street with no helmet is quite a hazard for your forehead, be aware of that.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:05 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just sent you a PM about a car we are listing right away (decided yesterday with my partner to move it).

E36 M3 built by Turner Motorsport. Not yet listed for sale.

Very easy to drive and maintain.

NASA GTS
SCCA ITE
Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Since you've only done one event, I would do a few more in what you have.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Since you've only done one event, I would do a few more in what you have.
+1
Old 09-16-2013, 02:47 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I doubt I'll run my 993 C2S on the track again.
balling up a 993 c2s would REALLY sux. (the c 2 S is rather rare and quite valuable)

That said, a full blown race car will normally need a tow to the track... with a few exceptions...
Old 09-16-2013, 03:12 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Wait, what about that '02 A6 3.0?

Myself - I am always super cautious when buying other people's track cars. I've seen so many cars that are built like basket-cases. Note that this includes cars built by reputable shops. Its scary that people trust them in a track situation.

Yes, a full track car needs to be towed. Otherwise you need to switch tires, figure out how to carry your track tires, etc. A fully-built track engine would also not take well to being driven at street RPMs.

A good track car is never going to drive well on the street. Unless of course it gets changed every time for an event. All the track safety stuff is usually designed to work together as well, and not designed for street applications where you aren't wearing a racing outfit.

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
balling up a 993 c2s would REALLY sux. (the c 2 S is rather rare and quite valuable)
That is something to be aware of. But, I've seen cars on the track that make even a real 993 RS seem common, and valued at significant multiples of one as well.

But if you get a track car, use your head. If it looks even the slightest bit 'cobbled up', chances are it is.

Take care,
Old 09-16-2013, 03:14 PM
Bully67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl

That said, a full blown race car will normally need a tow to the track... with a few exceptions...
Exactly my concern. They stressed 'getting your mind right' and although I was having a blast I was acutely aware that I don't wont to trash my car.

Right now I'm not interested in a race car but a street legal track car - recaro seats, 5 pt harness that I don't have an emotional attachment to. Throw in some proper instruction and I hope to have a tool to find the path as I educate myself about the next steps.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:16 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

contact 2,3 race shops in your area. most will always have a customer who is getting out of one car, getting into another. they will be able to fill you in, assuming they are sincere, about the condition, history, upkeep, etc. You can go see it, etc. and they are then a great source to help you maintain it as time goes by.

buying on rennlist is great, also, assuming you do your homework and can go review the car.

just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Where To buy a Track Car?