Sponsored by:

GoPro Studio 2 released

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts
Default GoPro Studio 2 released

Just read about it, think i'm going to replace my old Aiptek and it looks like this software will work with my SmartyCam .mov files also..

http://gopro.com/software-app/gopro-studio

Anyone know how long the USB charging cable for the Hero 3 is? I need at least 6' to go from the lighter to the roll bar, if not more.. Any issues with this camera? I don't care about data syncing, all I want is pretty video..
Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

I would advise caution until the SW has proved itself. GoPro has a track record of buggy firmware and software releases and then promised updates that take forever to actually be delivered.

The cameras are quite good, and I use a Hero 2 with older firmware, but the transition was "bumpy" from my old camera. Once you get a GoPro right, you are golden, but I would not expect it to "just work". I used my old camera for two track weekends after buying the GoPro before I could get the GoPro working reliably.

You should be able to extend USB cabling using standard USB extension cables.

The video quality is quite pretty, so you would be good there.

My $0.02.

-Mike
Old 09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

I've had nothing but headaches with gopro 3, first silver and then in an optimistic fit I bought a black.

Many lockups and 3 second videos when using the app to remote start recording, so I bought the black to use the dumb remote instead. That worked sorta better...except the new black failed to get any videos at all, just corrupt files and literally ate one file while I had it plugged into the computer.

/vent
Old 09-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I killed the "Shopping Cart" so i'm back to square one..
Old 09-15-2013, 10:18 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the 2nd version of the GoPro, the first HD one, I think. It works very well.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:58 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

so far im a big fan of the replayxd 1080
Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

Gary, are you recording sound as well? I've found that if you'r trying to keep the GoPro (or any other camera for that matter) plugged in while driving, you're going to get alternator whine feedback on your audio. Mine is a GoPro 2 and otherwise I've been very happy with it.

The battery lasts an entire day for me, typically, at DEs. I'm quick to turn it off, and it's the last thing I turn on before I leave the pits, though.

Software-wise, I've downloaded a few editors; the last one was made by Leawo. $30 IIRC, and very nice. The software that came with the GoPro never got along with my PC. I've got a new PC at home, now, with a much faster processor and a ton of memory, so hopefully that helps! Haven't tried yet.

Sound here recorded with an external mic

Old 09-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

something is wrong if your getting alt feedback. never had that issues with my aiptek or my replay
Old 09-16-2013, 01:39 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Der ABT
something is wrong if your getting alt feedback. never had that issues with my aiptek or my replay
I would say the same thing, no feedback on either my AIM SmartyCam or my Aiptek. Maybe a filter of some sort needed in your car?
Old 09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

so far im a big fan of the replayxd 1080
Evan - big question is will it charge when driving/recording (edit, I see there is no remote)? I hate the BS of remembering to pull the battery, recharge, etc.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you plug in the USB while filming, it will charge.

I love my GoPro 3 Black. It was a little fussy to update, but once It did, its perfect. The 3rd version has MUCH better sound than the 1 or 2

Click on HD
Old 09-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Plavan
If you plug in the USB while filming, it will charge.

I love my GoPro 3 Black. It was a little fussy to update, but once It did, its perfect. The 3rd version has MUCH better sound than the 1 or 2

Click on HD
http://youtu.be/7CM1qMadE3M
Good to know it's working well, I was asking Evan about the Replay 1080, sorry about the confusion. One thing I don't like about the Go-Pro is that fish-eye/wide angle view, is that customizeable? Makes the car look 25' long to me..
Old 09-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

replay has a hardwire kit wtih a button for power and recording...that button has a light to let you know that it is recording or not.

also they have settings that allow you to tell the camera to automatically turn on when it is powered and a delayed shut off after power is lost....aka you forget to turn it off.

its a little cheaper than the go pro to, i know of a few people using them and so far all has been good (i had one issue with my memory card popping out at watkins but i think i just didnt push it in far enough or my card was too big for the slot eh!!!)

hardwire kit is easy to install. picture is great, having the button that tells you when its recording is a MAJOR plus.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:23 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 112 Posts

Same remote on/off button with light available for GoPro. I installed it in my car. If only I could remember to turn it off...
Old 09-16-2013, 02:34 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

replay has a hardwire kit wtih a button for power and recording...that button has a light to let you know that it is recording or not.

also they have settings that allow you to tell the camera to automatically turn on when it is powered and a delayed shut off after power is lost....aka you forget to turn it off.

its a little cheaper than the go pro to, i know of a few people using them and so far all has been good (i had one issue with my memory card popping out at watkins but i think i just didnt push it in far enough)

hardwire kit is easy to install. picture is great, having the button that tells you when its recording is a MAJOR plus.
Thanks Evan. I wonder if the Reply 720 is the same? It's 1/2th price of the 1080.. I just don't want to have to futz with batteries! The GoPro 3 is $199 for the White edition vs. $275 for the Replay XD but by the time your done with remote and SD it's $350. I'll price out the hard wire kit and see where it all falls.

Quick Reply: GoPro Studio 2 released