Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another reason why you should take it to the track

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 08:59 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

UPdate: arrest is made... -Please take it to the track! *(85gold posted same story/link)
-in the video, cbs news states: cell phone records placed Delgato behind the wheel....

It took 404 days, but on Thursday, the police finally came for race car driver Radomin Delgado.

Just after midnight on Aug. 10, 2013, Jorge Arrojas and Miguel Larrieu were heading home to Southwest Ranches after a late dinner with friends in Bal Harbour. Arrojas was at the wheel of his Hyundai Sonata, Larrieu riding next to him.

"Be careful," Larrieu admonished his partner of 40 years. "Watch your speed."

Just two or three minutes later, there was a noise like an explosion as Delgado's cherry red Ferrari F430 Scuderia rear-ended the Hyundai, which hit a third car, a Saturn, before tumbling end over end and slamming into the median.

The driver of the Ferrari fled the scene, either on foot or was picked up by someone.

A few days after the wreck, Larrieu recalled that Arrojas "was slumped over, his head on my chest, almost as though he were trying to protect me."

Now, he was alone in the home the two men had built, alone with dogs, cats, chickens and the Paso Fino horses they raised.

Police couldn't be sure who was behind the Ferrari's wheel when the crash occurred.

But Thursday, the Florida Highway Patrol said it was Delgado, who had been a person of interest all along. The FHP charged him with leaving the scene of a crash involving death, a first-degree felony. He was booked into the Turner Guilford Knight correctional center in Miami-Dade, jail records show.

Delgado was a race-car driver who still holds two Florida track records with the National Auto Sport Association. He and his F430 "Scud" completed the Homestead-Miami Speedway's 2.3-mile Grand Am course in just one minute, 26.7 seconds. The record has held since Delgado set it on March 11, 2012. His record of two minutes, 17 seconds at the 3.7-mile Sebring International Raceway still stands as well.

On Oct. 17, 2012, Delgado was ticketed for traveling 105 miles per hour on Interstate-75 near Griffin Road.

After months of inaction, Larrieu filed a civil lawsuit in May that alleged Delgado was driving impaired and collided with Arrojas' Sonata while traveling more than 100 miles per hour. The lawsuit also claimed that Delgado called his wife, Patricia Verde, who then picked him up. She was named as a co-defendant. According to Larrieu's lawyer, Michael Goldfarb, the suit was settled out of court this summer; details of the settlement are confidential.

Until Thursday, Larrieu thought that might be the closest he came to justice.

"Nothing is going to bring Jorge back, but it's good that we can count on the American justice system," Larrieu said Thursday by phone, after he learned of Delgado's arrest.

Like Arrojas, Larrieu came to the United States from Cuba as a boy in the early 1960s. Larrieu came with his family, and Arrojas, like 14,000 other Cuban children at the time, came to the States alone. He wound up at an orphanage in Lansing, Mich. The two men met at a party in Miami in the early 1980s.

"He was 20 and I was 22 when we first met. We lived a nice life in Southwest Ranches. I wouldn't change that for anything in the world. God was good to me for having those wonderful years," Larrieu said. "He was my best friend, my brother, my life long companion for 40 years."

Larrieu hung up the phone then. He could not continue.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/bro...0,848296.story
Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Ugly story and it only shows that no one is saint. Still, it is most stupid thing to run from the scene. It makes all much worse, and usually always gets back to you.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Ugly story and it only shows that no one is saint. Still, it is most stupid thing to run from the scene. It makes all much worse, and usually always gets back to you.
Actually, not. DUI manslaughter = 20 years. Leaving the scene =maybe 1-3?
I'm making the assumption that at 3:00 am on a Saturday night he had at least some alcohol in his system. If someone dies, they will convict you of DUI manslaughter with ANY alcohol on your blood. You don't have to be over the .08 limit.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:07 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

So it's OK to drive like an idiot and wreck another car and not even see if you can help. Must be the new ethics of all about me and screw anybody else. Pretty frickin cold blooded IMHO

Peter
Old 09-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 85Gold
So it's OK to drive like an idiot and wreck another car and not even see if you can help. Must be the new ethics of all about me and screw anybody else. Pretty frickin cold blooded IMHO

Peter
I don't think that was directed at me. But please understand I'm not advocating that at all. Just calling attention to some fukced up laws...
Old 09-20-2014, 02:05 PM
tlarocque
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I think we all knew this was the real story.

Rad was a fun and helpful forum member and his former 6-GT3 that I owned for a while was probably the best track car I have owned but I absolutely cannot comprehend how you could cause an accident like that and just flee the scene. Selfish, cowardly.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:43 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I remember watching Rad autocross a boxster in NJ back in the early 2000's...

How things change... Really dissapointing behavior. He always seemed like a "turn it up to 11" type of guy... But drinking/driving/fleeing the scene is a whole other level.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I don't think that was directed at me. But please understand I'm not advocating that at all. Just calling attention to some fukced up laws...
In my opinion this law exists exactly for the reason to prevent people getting killed by scuds driven above 100mph by drunk people after midnight.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:31 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found via google search, Daily Mail is now reporting this story:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...0-Ferrari.html

Also, some blog posts purportedly from a family member of the victim:
http://morfodidia.wordpress.com/tag/radomin-delgado/
Old 09-20-2014, 09:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow at the detailed track records.......

No comment on Rad. Cant even think of a way to sugar coat what I think of those actions.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:22 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Fla law just was just changed to add teeth to leaving scene of accident with injuries. Prior to the new law there was really no legal incentive to stay and help, if you were impaired/dui.

http://www.mynews13.com/content/news...r.html?cid=rss

"Right now, as the law stands, the people have an incentive, or no disincentive to leave the scene of an accident," said Florida Rep. Bryan Nelson, R-District 31.

Right now if you drive drunk and hit and kill someone, you'll get a minimum of four years in jail.

If you flee the scene and law enforcement can't prove you were drunk, troopers said there is no minimum sentence.

Under the new bill, offenders would get four years minimum for leaving the scene of an accident if you kill or seriously harm someone. You would lose your license for three years and need to take a driving class to get it back.

Joy said she supports the new bill.

"We didn't know that there were unintended consequences about the laws that were on the books. It's our obligation to fix them," said Nelson.

But News 13's legal analyst Mark Nejame said he's not in favor of the bill.

"Judges should have the ability to render a sentence," NeJame said. "That is why we have judges and I think that mandatory minimum laws are created by politicians looking to get votes in their district because it sounds like they are getting tough on crime."
Old 09-21-2014, 03:18 PM
onapex
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reminds me of another deadly hit-and-run last year. Nissan GTR hits 90-year-old man at 5am. Stops, thinks about, drives off. Alcohol probably involved as well. And probably same line of reasoning, better to flee than to get arrested with alcohol in system. Sad that the GTR community hasn't ID'ed this guy. Can't be hard to figure who owns that GTR. Tragic accidents happen, but cowards to flee the scene.

Old 09-24-2014, 02:58 PM
Courtshark
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

In that GTR video the guy didn't immediately drive off, and the dash cam operator with awful musical taste clearly went and talked to him; probably either knew him, or at least got his license number. Plus a forensic video expert could slow the video down to catch the tag number. No need to rely on the GTR community on this one.

Quick Reply: yet another reason why you should take it to the track