Sponsored by:

Request for some Aim data guidance - pitstop duration

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 10:11 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Request for some Aim data guidance - pitstop duration

In our enduros, there is a required 5 min stop with a borrowed Aim Solo capturing times. My wheels are stopped for 5.0 minutes but I can't figure out how to determine the time for the pit run into and away from pit lane. There is one lap with a time > 5mins plus average lap time. Is that the window to measure?

To complicate the affair, apparently the device stops recording during stops so I have the pit stop split between "Test" files.

I would like to know how effectively (or not) I am attacking/departing for comparison with my competition because I suspect that I'm not doing it well.

Am I just looking for trouble by wrestling with this?
Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,852 Posts

Yes. The simplest way is how they check for minimum pit time. Basically your fastest lap plus 5 minutes...

As you point out, it is your measure.

It is also possible to recover the data files as one long file.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Does the "combination" into a single file have to be done at download?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 845 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by kristap
In our enduros, there is a required 5 min stop with a borrowed Aim Solo capturing times. My wheels are stopped for 5.0 minutes but I can't figure out how to determine the time for the pit run into and away from pit lane. There is one lap with a time > 5mins plus average lap time. Is that the window to measure?

To complicate the affair, apparently the device stops recording during stops so I have the pit stop split between "Test" files.

I would like to know how effectively (or not) I am attacking/departing for comparison with my competition because I suspect that I'm not doing it well.

Am I just looking for trouble by wrestling with this?
Hope I didn't misunderstand your question:

Do you have a camera? If so, time yourself from the pit-in cones to the pit-out cones on your video. Most folks enter to the pit to the pit-in cone too slowly and re-enter from the pit-out cone to slowly.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:37 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

I do, Frank, but was looking to work within one application/window at a time and thought that I might be able to keep it to just math
Old 09-23-2014, 08:41 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Kristap

Are you sure the requirement is "wheels stopped for 5 min"? Most venues require 5 min from the pit in cones to pit out cones, which means that the wheels are stopped less than 5 min. You can change the "Stop Rec Delay" time to 5 min so the data should not build a second session. If you wanted to figure the pit lane time you could run thru pit lane during a practice and subtract average lap times near that test lap.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM
kristap
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by amso3
Kristap

Are you sure the requirement is "wheels stopped for 5 min"? Most venues require 5 min from the pit in cones to pit out cones, which means that the wheels are stopped less than 5 min. You can change the "Stop Rec Delay" time to 5 min so the data should not build a second session. If you wanted to figure the pit lane time you could run thru pit lane during a practice and subtract average lap times near that test lap.
Definitely, 100% sure that it's wheels stopped for 5 mins (BMW club racing). Does PCA mark time by the entry/exit cones?

Hadn't been able to find anything for the delay but now that you've pointed the way to "Stop Rec Delay", I'll find it. Thanks!

Last edited by kristap; 09-25-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Jerry is correct through 2013. No idea if they changed it for 2014. Check out page 12 from the Club Racing News on how the pit stop time is calculated. https://www.pca.org/sites/default/fi...CRN-2013-4.pdf

Quick Reply: Request for some Aim data guidance - pitstop duration