Sponsored by:

yet another reason why you should take it to the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:57 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
After many years of driving fast cars too fast on public roads, I have wised up before something tragic happens to me or someone else. I realized that I have the same issues as any other addict, I can't get behind the wheel of a nearly 400 hp car and not speed excessively, although I never drive impaired. So I have dumped my street Porsche and got a pickup truck, which is really no fun to go fast in, for daily driving and have taken "save it for the track" advice to heart. Stories like this confirm the wisdom of that decision.
That worked for a while. Wasn't long before the truck ended up with 500+HP. Resistance is futile.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:45 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Eifeler
That worked for a while. Wasn't long before the truck ended up with 500+HP. Resistance is futile.
I LOL'ed at that...yeah the speed jones should be a recognized psychological disorder
Old 08-15-2013, 05:54 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
... knew she hadn't had too much to drink.
I knew this a once, like the time I left a party when I was 19 and couldn't figure out how to start my Kawasaki GPZ1100, a bike I rebuilt from ground up. I pushed it 3 miles in the rain, stopped, curled up next to it and fell asleep under an I-74 overpass. I woke up at dawn, turn the petcock to on and fired it up. Last time I drank and tried to operate a motor vehicle. Luck has always been my friend.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
+1

On a lighter note, sometimes I wish our interstates had this feature every 10 miles or so, to weed out the tards and the brain dead.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:57 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CW-VIESOCK
I knew this a once, like the time I left a party when I was 19 and couldn't figure out how to start my Kawasaki GPZ1100, a bike I rebuilt from ground up. I pushed it 3 miles in the rain, stopped, curled up next to it and fell asleep under an I-74 overpass. I woke up at dawn, turn the petcock to on and fired it up. Last time I drank and tried to operate a motor vehicle. Luck has always been my friend.
Way back when "One for the road" was SOP I drank myself one eyed stupid drunk and tried to drive my car. For real I remember that I was closing one eye to reduce the number of roads I was trying to stay on. I pulled into a parking lot about 1/2 a mile along to try and fish the pack of ciggs out from between the seats and lucky for me and all around I ended up having a nice long 6 hour nap after having that smoke. That one was too close for comfort.

Some of us take the moral high ground having crawled all the way there. From 1976 to 1979 I lost 4 peers to drunks. 2 were the drunks 2 were hit by them. I figured I did not want to be in ether group. I see people doing stupid **** on the road all the time. Tripple digit speeds, face in a phone or both has suplanted "one for the road".
Old 08-16-2013, 12:07 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankyV
I realized that I have the same issues as any other addict, I can't get behind the wheel of a nearly 400 hp car and not speed excessively,
After I bought my 911, I couldn't resist a little speeding. But after my first day on the track, driving fast on public streets just didn't satisfy and the urge to speed dissipated.

NorCal DE cup at thill just two weeks away...
Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dasams
After I bought my 911, I couldn't resist a little speeding. But after my first day on the track, driving fast on public streets just didn't satisfy and the urge to speed dissipated.
What I noticed was that there was no way I could drive at the limit on the public roads like I could drive at the track. So what is the point of trying to drive fast on the public roads when you can't really drive fast without putting everyone's ife at risk. Technically I do speed on the public roads, but I am no where close to driving "fast" like I could drive on the track as I am only a few clicks over the speed limits.

The only thing that has bummed me out (though my bank account is happier) is that I lost access to my local race track as it permanently closed at the end of the 2011 season with only rumors of a replacement surfacing and those rumors are at least 2 or more years away from becoming a reality. But I did find a replacement and a mighty fine replacement it is. I am now racing Karts and to tell you the truth my Kart (a 2 stroke Rotax DD2) is even more fun to drive than my 993 was. My Kart is like a mini Formula car.

PS: Welcome back "A Wayne". We haven't seen you on here for the last few seasons. I was beginning to think something happened to you. But I see you are fine.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:03 PM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dasams
But after my first day on the track, driving fast on public streets just didn't satisfy...
That sums it up nicely.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:25 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So, any updates on this???
Old 08-20-2013, 06:50 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

IMHO,
This will probably go the way the Ryan Levin case went. (TT killed 2 British tourists in 2009 off the Ft lauderdale strip ). (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...eanfront-condo)

The police ended up placing Levin in the car based on cell phone towers.

I think it was about 2 years before a settlement, and basically his family paid off the British survivors families.

I doubt we will hear much for quite a while, until the SAO has a case...
Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I don't know but always feel that if you have a ton of money and or a huge umbrella policy this all goes away quietly. We may never know the outcome.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:12 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I don't know but always feel that if you have a ton of money and or a huge umbrella policy this all goes away quietly. We may never know the outcome.
Outcomes. One outcome of all of this so far is there is a dead guy and a hurt guy.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 PM
STRIKEMASTER
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

To the driver of the "killa Ferrari". In New Jersey, leaving the scene of an accident is a FELONY! (Say Fel-o-neee, dirt bag) And gets you hard time EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT AT FAULT in the accident!!! Living just across the bridge from 'Filthadelfia' I see 'drivers' (using the term very loosely) texting, reading, making out, rolling up, doing makeup, looking everywhere but at the road ETC. I've found a nice piece of back road that's well paved, with a passing lane every few miles and very little traffic where I can wind out my 'Shark' a LITTLE, about 80mph, once and a while. Otherwise I drive my 928 euro in a very conservative manner because I consider it to be an un-replaceable car!! When I was learning to drive back in the '60s my dad told me-"Driving is probably the ONLY thing you'll ever do, where if you screw up, you can get killed or kill someone else. SO DON'T SCREW UP!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 07:09 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Was thinking about this story when I saw that as of yesterday TX has closed this loophole:

SB 275
Hit-and-run fatality crashes will now carry the same penalty as intoxication manslaughter, up to 20 years in prison. Lawmakers noticed that drivers might leave the scene of the crime if they were drunk because it would mean a lesser charge.

Any updates on this story? I've searched the interwebs about once a week since I saw this thread start up, but not a peep since the driver kinda met with the popo...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:38 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 26 Posts

Fitting

I'll be the first to admit that I've driven when I shouldn't but I still can't believe that ppl will not face the music.. particularly when you take a life..

This is a powerful short video..

Quick Reply: yet another reason why you should take it to the track