Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another reason why you should take it to the track

Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbill_fl
The stretch of I75 where this occurred, is at least 4 lanes (per side), with a wide grass median. (w. a very nice flat surface)

-it would not be the worst place to run a car at speed.

once rush hour is over, it is the less traveled highway...(much better than I95 or the turnpike)

I doubt anyone here is without fault for driving too fast on public roads.

This is a life changing event for the owner and driver.

Something to think about late at night on the open road...
+1.
Just to be clear when I say there seem to be night races, it's because I can hear them in the wintertime with the windows open safely in bed

I've don't street race, usually I just putter around and maybe I was a bit naughty running the tail of the dragon and the occasional fun on the on or off ramp...

Its the long stretches at night on the empty interstate where everyone drives about 90Mph... It 3 hours home in a straight line with no cars in sight, hard to not be dreaming of autobahn speeds and be home in 1 hour...

It seems that the speeds go higher in "packs" if 8+ cars are going 115Mph+ there is less risk of all getting pulled over. Maybe 5 years ago I was driving back from North Florida on the Turnpike and I could not stay with the train as I had a car at the time that would only go 115Mph....

This was just calm driving with plenty of room between the cars.

Cops create the scariest situations for me around here, like when everyone was cruising at about 80 Mph in a 70Mph and a cruiser floored it in front of the group and he was fish tailing in the dirt making huge dirt clouds and also still fish tailing while entering the interstate from the left shoulder scaring the **** out of a couple of drivers who slammed on their brakes and almost caused a multi car wreck.

I've also come inches from getting T boned by an undercover cop with lights but no sound in a hurry to write someone a ticket, if I would not have looked left while green I would have been done for, he was going about 100mph in a 35Mph.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by buzztt
so they found the driver but not the SUV ? and the driver was under the limit but still convicted ?
The SUV and it's driver kept going. The woman in jail now was in her car behind the SUV. She was convicted with a BAL of .05, under the legal limit.
That's the thing, .08 is the limit at which one is "presumed to be impaired." you can be convicted of DUI at a lower BAL, it's just a harder case for the state atty. in this case, the woman had 2 Corona Light 12 oz bottles in a 90 minute period after work on a Friday night.
The cyclist was so drunk it was amazing he was concious (before dying.)

It is the unfortunate result of over enforcement. You can be sitting in your car at a light with a BAL somewhere under the limit, but more than .001. Someone rear-ends you. A passenger in the car that hits you dies. You are going to jail.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:08 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

When you consider the IQ of some folks, it's scary to think that you're on the road with them, let alone the highway, and that's assuming they are sober.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:09 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have lost a loved one.

Whomever was driving the Fiat is responsible for the incident and subsequently someone's life. That person and their passenger (if there was one) fled the scene. Now the authorities and attorneys will take it from there. Those are the facts.

No matter what happens from here on out, it won't bring back someone's life partner/spouse. We must all think about these unfortunate events when driving on public roads no matter what time or where. You break the law and you're responsible for the consequences.

I'm no hypocrite so as the song says if you can't do the time...
Old 08-14-2013, 02:28 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
The SUV and it's driver kept going. The woman in jail now was in her car behind the SUV. She was convicted with a BAL of .05, under the legal limit.
That's the thing, .08 is the limit at which one is "presumed to be impaired." you can be convicted of DUI at a lower BAL, it's just a harder case for the state atty. in this case, the woman had 2 Corona Light 12 oz bottles in a 90 minute period after work on a Friday night.
The cyclist was so drunk it was amazing he was concious (before dying.)

It is the unfortunate result of over enforcement. You can be sitting in your car at a light with a BAL somewhere under the limit, but more than .001. Someone rear-ends you. A passenger in the car that hits you dies. You are going to jail.
So if she had had no beers, she would have just been fine, legally?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:52 PM
leejo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah I'm lost. From what I've read we have three parties - 1. the drunk cyclist who died, 2. the driver of the SUV who hit the cyclist and left the scene, 3. the driver of a car behind the SUV who did nothing wrong from what I can tell other than drink 2 beers in 90 minutes.

What am I missing? Apologies if I'm just missing a salient detail.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:11 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

The drunk cyclist landed on the 2nd car's hood, according to the post on last page.

But yeah, seems pretty crazy that she is responsible...
Old 08-14-2013, 03:33 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BC
So if she had had no beers, she would have just been fine, legally?
Sounds like it.

This is not legal advice - but my lawyer always told me, "NEVER EVER BLOW. EVER."

The .08 is simply a guideline. You can be convicted with even .0001. Falcon's friend found that out the hard way. She blew a .05 - all that did was provide hard, concrete evidence that she had SOME alcohol in her system at the time of the accident. That's generally good enough... BAC does not directly translate to actual impairedness. For some folks, say a regular drinker, they can be over .08 and be totally 100% fine. But someone who would be considered a "lightweight" - aka someone who hardly ever drinks, one beer can be enough to give them a buzz and impair them... even though their BAC is below .08.

It's the impairedness that's dangerous, not the BAC. The BAC "limit" is just a guideline.

My lawyer's advice to not blow was based on him having a better chance at getting you off any charges if there ISN'T concrete evidence showing that you had alcohol in your system. In IL, the whole "mandatory license suspension for refusing to blow" isn't so mandatory if you have a good attorney...
Old 08-14-2013, 03:41 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

According to this owner of car has met with police, no arrest made and nothing else new to report at this time.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/lo...o-fatal-crash/
Old 08-14-2013, 05:32 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 007DT
Wow. What a F#**'d up law! That should be the opposite.

We've all made mistakes and no matter what the circumstances here drunk or not anyone who flees a scene particularly in a wicked crash that ended a life should man up. And to not call for help or render help to others is disgusting. IMO.
AGREED.. Florida is so *** backwards… I moved down here almost 3 years ago and the drivers are just THE WORST.. Average speeds are like 85-90 on the highway and no cops in sight anymore, they truly do not car.. nor do the drivers

This is still a disgusting act, fleeing the scene of a now vehicular manslaughter… whomever was driving obviously had something to hide ! In a collision like that, even if you are scared out of your mind, if you weren't illegally doing something/and or MANY things most would stay at the scene of the accident.. How did he even get away? Where did he go, another car following? I'd like to hear the verdict of this.

In the mean time, RIP to the soul lost from this tragedy, too sad…

I've spoken to Rad over the years, always brash but a cool dude.. very knowledgeable

I truly hope he wasn't driving, either or, it doesn't change the pain from this tragic accident and loss...

Last edited by iLLM3; 08-15-2013 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Sounds like it.

This is not legal advice - but my lawyer always told me, "NEVER EVER BLOW. EVER."

The .08 is simply a guideline. You can be convicted with even .0001. Falcon's friend found that out the hard way. She blew a .05 - all that did was provide hard, concrete evidence that she had SOME alcohol in her system at the time of the accident. That's generally good enough... BAC does not directly translate to actual impairedness. For some folks, say a regular drinker, they can be over .08 and be totally 100% fine. But someone who would be considered a "lightweight" - aka someone who hardly ever drinks, one beer can be enough to give them a buzz and impair them... even though their BAC is below .08.

It's the impairedness that's dangerous, not the BAC. The BAC "limit" is just a guideline.

My lawyer's advice to not blow was based on him having a better chance at getting you off any charges if there ISN'T concrete evidence showing that you had alcohol in your system. In IL, the whole "mandatory license suspension for refusing to blow" isn't so mandatory if you have a good attorney...
Exactly. She would not have even been cited if she had 0 BAC. The car behind her saw the whole thing and said there was no way she could have avoided the guy falling out of the sky onto her hood.
4 years....
Take a cab people.
Also, you can be convicted of DUI even if you don't blow. It's just a harder case for the prosecutor. Unless of course, you are one of those falling down drunks on video from the cops dash cam...
Old 08-14-2013, 05:50 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Also, you can be convicted of DUI even if you don't blow. It's just a harder case for the prosecutor. Unless of course, you are one of those falling down drunks on video from the cops dash cam...
Better check your statutes. In some states, automatic loss of license for refusal to blow, and when they arrest you, they can take your blood and convict for refusal, and DUI based on blood test (and/or the video of you falling down). Double whammy.

So, any further news on the Ferrari driver (owner)?

Last edited by JG 996T; 08-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JG 996T
Better check your statutes. In some states, automatic loss of license for refusal to blow, and when they arrest you, they can take your blood and convict of refusal,
As far as IL goes, it's pretty much the same way... though I know more than 1 person (not me, honest) who has beaten the "automatic loss of license" and gotten that part thrown out.

Though in IL, you can get out of pretty much any conviction by agreeing to just pay a larger fine....
Old 08-14-2013, 06:17 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
The drunk cyclist landed on the 2nd car's hood, according to the post on last page.

But yeah, seems pretty crazy that she is responsible...
Either that's another example on an asinine mandatory sentence or she had a crappy lawyer.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:27 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sbelles
Either that's another example on an asinine mandatory sentence or she had a crappy lawyer.
Or there is more to the story than we (and even Falcon) are aware of.

Have to figure something had to happen to cause the officer to administer a test in the first place. Slurred speech, maybe a little tipsy, maybe a strong scent of alcohol on her breath.... ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: yet another reason why you should take it to the track