Sponsored by:

Inner Loop at the Glen

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:59 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Inner Loop at the Glen

I noticed the NASCAR guys putting all four wheels on the curbs up there at the inner loop and I'm wondering if the configuration has been altered. Particularly at the entrance, I don't think that was possible when I was there in June.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Sure it was, the car just has to be set up for it. You have to use 100% of the first curb to get that nice shallow angle of entry that makes the rest of the inner loop work ...
Old 08-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 938 Likes on 568 Posts

Shocks my friend, shocks.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

I was at the Glen for the first time this year, learned real fast to hit the curbing at the inner loop. I shook things loose on the car that I never have before. It was way fun.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:09 AM
997gt3north
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think what you might be trying to say is that if you approach the bus stop from far left and hit the first curbs at a sharp angle and late with lots of side load that it won't work - you are correct, it won't. If however, you approach at a very narrow angle and keep 'just' your left tire on the track and place the rest of the car over curbs it will accommodate the curbs because there is little side load in the car. Any standard street car can handle this approach. You will have to make sure every suspension bolt is tight if you plan on doing it for long periods. The other thing this line allows is far higher entry speed as the lack of meaningful side load allows later braking and a far extended baking zone. For some data to highlight this point, a semi experienced solo driver who takes the student line braking left and entering the bus stop without taking any curbing would pass the first curbing apex at around 83mph. A more advanced driver that takes the Nascar line and places the centre of the car over the first apex curbing and keeps only their left tire on the track can pass over the apex at over 100mph. I have seen some data from a stock street GT3 from an event I was at with just Hoosiers and no other mods except a good driver doing it at 115mph - if you tried to enter the Bus stop at that speed doing the student line you would likely roll the car when it hit the second set of curbs going sideways - at minimum you would not be exiting the bus stop without first coming to a complete stop.

The one thing you generally never see DE drivers do intentionally is taking as much dirt as Kyle Busch would take while 'exiting' the bus stop on the last lap of the race trying to catch the car in front - at that point of the race, the track layout is irrelevant as we all know - if you search, you can probably find a clip of him with 4 wheels on the grass - he doesn't even bother steering left - if I remember it was from a race about 3 years ago.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:27 AM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 102 Posts

My personal approach at the Bus Stop is one I refined with some pro coach help. I find that I can gap on people very easily:

Left tires on the leading edge of the concrete patch at turn-in to Bus Stop, follow that to inside rumbles where left tires go on yellow painted stripe and right tires are fully over the rumbles. Get the wheels straight as quickly as possible coming off that first set of rumbles and back to 100% power. Full baja over the fourth set of rumbles with left tires right next to the grass still full power (in 4th). Hold that to track-out point at which point in a stock RS you're going 94-96 MPH. Dab of the brakes, turn-in for carousel, get the car inside before the access road on the right. Squeeze power so that you're back at 100% before apex.

My .02
Old 08-13-2013, 11:09 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I bet they filled in the big hole in the dirt next to the pretty blue thingie for those Nascar pussies...
Old 08-13-2013, 12:06 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

all makes sense, but I recall, at least from a few years ago, a very steep first curb there, nothing you could hit at all, and so unless I'm mistaken, they definitely changed it.
gonna check some older vids on this.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

As I thought, these look like very different curbs in 2010. There's no red striping, and I also recall that they were serrated, which vibrated and made a racket when you rode them. The first one here doesn't look so steep as I thought, but there's no way to fit a whole car on it.

Have a look here, on a cool off lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvH-c...ature=youtu.be
Old 08-13-2013, 01:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

I think they changed just before last year's race Frank, though I don't have video handy from 2011 and it may have been then. I seem to remember liking the old curbing better as it was a smooth launch if you were a couple inches from the guard rail and had a very shallow entry, but i'm old and my memory isn't really good..
Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Yes, they shaved the curbs significantly 2 or 3 years ago, IIRC
Old 08-13-2013, 07:02 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Frank, I was black-flagged in May - at Cups and Saucers - for "kicking up dirt" by driving the "NASCAR line" through the inner loop.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

I do know they re-painted all the curbing last fall. At a DE event one of the instructors found that out in May by getting into it in turm 1 and finding it very slick, so much that he had a face to face with the wall.

Whether they filled pot holes I don't know.

Going into the bus stop, the curb does provide good braking just running over it.

Quick Reply: Inner Loop at the Glen