Sponsored by:

Staubli quick disconnects for Motons

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 PM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Staubli quick disconnects for Motons

I just got my rear dampers back from moton with Staubli quick disconnects. I separated the reservoirs so that I could run the lines again. Darned if I can't get the disconnects to reconnect. Am I missing something here? Shouldn't they click together after sliding the sleeve back? Hopefully I don't have to depressurize the canisters... any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 100 Posts

pull back sleeve slide together, keep pressure, release sleeve all should be happy.

What burns me is I can't find anyone who will tell me how to bleed the lines so you don't need the quick disconnects. Either it is a big secret or no one knows.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,005 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
What burns me is I can't find anyone who will tell me how to bleed the lines so you don't need the quick disconnects. Either it is a big secret or no one knows.
You don't just have to bleed the lines, you have to bleed the entire shock and reservoir. The shock needs to be upside down in a vice with the remote reservoir down lower to get the air out. Not as easy as a simple bleed.

Google Penske rebuild videos or look at the Penske site to get an idea how it's done.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:23 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
pull back sleeve slide together, keep pressure, release sleeve all should be happy.

Yeah that's what I've been trying to do, it just doesn't seem to want to go all the way back in and click into place. I was hoping there was a trick, I may have to call AST tomorrow to figure it out. I only know about the schrader valve to adjust the pressures in the canister, and I haven't done that yet either. For reference, the disconnects I'm working with are below.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Car isn't sitting on the ground is it? Shocks should be at full droop.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Nollie
Pro

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
Car isn't sitting on the ground is it? Shocks should be at full droop.
I tried both ways, but it sounds like that wasn't my issue. I just talked AST and I need to degass the remote canister (Steve W. confirmed as well). I'll have to give that a shot after work. Of course now I need to find a nitrogen tank so I can pressurize again once things are reconnected
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep, have to degass the canister otherwise it's imposible to get them to seat. Hit your local Roberts oxygen for a N2 canister/regulator then a Longacre N2 shock inflator, makes setting N2 settings a breeze.

http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=1036&catid=5
Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Or order up one of these fine cases https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 07-24-2013, 12:18 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Or order up one of these fine cases https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
That is sweet looking. Did not see a price, I assume pricey
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nollie
I tried both ways, but it sounds like that wasn't my issue. I just talked AST and I need to degass the remote canister (Steve W. confirmed as well). I'll have to give that a shot after work. Of course now I need to find a nitrogen tank so I can pressurize again once things are reconnected
Maybe it's just a different disconnect than mine, I was able to re-connect mine after the last rebuild with 200psi in the canisters.

Having your own N2 rig is the best bet anyhow. if you assemble your own you can do it for around $200-250 all in.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 468 Posts

Bite the Bullitt and get the N2 and inflation tool. One of the nice things about Moton is the ability to fine tune spring rates by adj N2 pressure. Sunce you now have N2 you can also use it for tires.

Peter
Old 07-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Vonschmidt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want to go the full route you could try discount tire or their local counterpart they usually offer nitrogen fills. You understand all this is a slippery slope. Get the new shocks installed, then add nitrogen to your tires. Why not add air jacks as well. Been here enjoy.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Bite the Bullitt and get the N2 and inflation tool. One of the nice things about Moton is the ability to fine tune spring rates by adj N2 pressure. Sunce you now have N2 you can also use it for tires.

Peter
You can do that, but it's not the best way. The nitrogen is there to keep the shock oil from cavitating, not provide spring rate (which it doesn't provide much of). If you look, almost all other manufacturers are going to lower and lower N2 pressures and even going to things like through rod dampers to remove the spring effect.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:47 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If you have remote-canister shocks, you should have access to N2.

Easiest and cheapest for you would be to buy an "air pig" (portable air tank - 5 or 7 gallons), and get it filled at your local tire place if they offer N2 service.

Might not be necessary to always bleed to disconnect and re-connect, but it makes it easier as you're not fighting the pressure. It also reduces the risk of the quick-disconnect shutoff valve not closing right away, and causing you to lose some fluid. GL.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Oh, and always adjust pressures with the car in the air, on jacks.

Quick Reply: Staubli quick disconnects for Motons