Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is the lightest & most breathable Nomex suit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:10 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 852 Likes on 422 Posts

You don't need to spend ~$3000 on an OMP suit to get a great suit....about half that, really.....maybe I would get a Stand 21 suit if money were falling out of my pockets.

Scott
Old 07-09-2013, 08:39 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

It's not just the cost. Not sure how breathable Stand 21 suits are but the numbers they gave me show they weigh close to the standard 400g/sqm (370-380 to be exact). That's far more than OMP One Evo's 230-250g/sqm. Ultimately, regardless of the $ cost, breathability and lightness must come at the expense of safety and the 250g/sqm One Evo is the lightest SFI 5 certified suit I could find (even though I ordered the lighter 230g/sqm non-SFI certified One Evo).

Last edited by hf1; 07-09-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 852 Likes on 422 Posts

I didn't say it was just the cost. I said "great suit". One aspect of a great suit is the material weight. A great suit is one that is light but does not sacrifice protection.

Scott
Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM
wagongotya
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

picked up an one evo earlier this year in the 1800 range, great suit for the $

Old 07-09-2013, 01:12 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alpinestars GP Tech is what our Drivers use.
Same suits are worn by Redbull F1 Racing, Renault F1 & Force India F1

If you need them let me know, i have them in stock as we are a Alpinestars Distributor
Old 03-26-2015, 11:49 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nomex underwear under 3 layer nomex in a fire - cook first or burn first?

Originally Posted by hf1
Related, I asked in another thread about wearing cotton underwear under a Nomex suit and in response I was shown videos of how cotton burns much faster than Nomex when exposed to a direct (flash) fire. The question remains, are there studies (or videos) showing the difference between wearing cotton vs Nomex but UNDER a 2 or 3 layer Nomex suit?
Just my take after researching this lately before buying a suit. IMO, by the time we get fire coming through a layered Nomex suit, we have bigger problems than whether our underwear is also Nomex. The thing is that Nomex is very good at stopping (well actually just slowing) fire penetrating ie burning a hole through multiple layers, but actually pretty poor at stopping heat penetrating - as it is pretty conductive of it. So by the time we have flash through to our underwear through a burnt hole we'll already have been cooked like a baked potato anyway over a far larger area. Air is a pretty good insulator though so the more air the suit traps in cells or between layers, the better the heat insulation and the better off we'll be.

OK, if I'm going to be doing a standing/flying mile or the like and perhaps hitting the far side of 200mph then I'd be wearing some pretty thick Nomex underwear under my 3 layer - since I'd be getting nowhere near as hot or busy as I would racing 30 minutes on a tight track, and the chances of ending up jammed in a prolonged fire are higher at those speeds and with marshals further away.

In longer circuit races on hot days I'd rather just have thin breathable cotton under a 3 layer/4 layer nomex. I'd even say a Nomex balaclava would probably make a greater contribution to safety than a fourth layer that was Nomex rather than cotton.

Nomex underwear on top is safer in the pits though if you tend to wander around (or sleep ) with your suit pushed folded down around your waist and there is fuel around.

Would be very interested to see if anyone has tested heat transfer as well as the normal 'seconds to scorch through' type FIA/SFI test. Did you end up finding any such studies?

Anyone here been burnt a time or two each way?

Quick Reply: Which is the lightest & most breathable Nomex suit?