Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rig - trailer opinions?

Old 06-30-2013, 12:59 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had looked at some older Chinook B+ vans. Decided that I didn't want a fiberglass or FRP body, and the Sprinter has more headroom than an E350 or Express with a bubble top. It'll be interesting to see what the Ford Transit (not connect) offers if and when they bring it over.

Matt, great suggestion. I've thought about trading "down" to an aircooled 911 many times, but if I do that the 997 has to go. Too many cars as it is, and it's hard to part with. I have seriously considered converting what I have into a full-time track car, which could shave a few hundred lbs. of interior and accessories. A slippery slope in any direction...
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone already mentioned it but I'll do so again. Look carefully at what tow hitch is actually bolted onto the chassis - Most of the aftermarket attachments are only 5000#. Also be very careful about your actual weights. I did the research last year and came up with the answer that the Merc. chassis barely had the capacity to tow my 2500 lb Boxster on an aluminum trailer (although that was with a C class).

Having said that, I ended up buying a 21' Chevy 4500 chassised C class RV (20K GVM with ~10K wet/loaded weight = 10K towing) and love the convenience that comes with it. Nothing better than always having air conditioning and a cold drink whenever you want it. I really wanted the Diesel Merc. (primarily for the fuel consumption) but decided that there was no way I could ever tow an enclosed and so that ended it for me.

Have fun.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:25 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

http://www.bre2.net/pdfs/bre2_aerova...jFU6X2usBJKjz3
Old 06-30-2013, 08:49 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jittsl
Someone already mentioned it but I'll do so again. Look carefully at what tow hitch is actually bolted onto the chassis - Most of the aftermarket attachments are only 5000#. Also be very careful about your actual weights. I did the research last year and came up with the answer that the Merc. chassis barely had the capacity to tow my 2500 lb Boxster on an aluminum trailer (although that was with a C class).

Having said that, I ended up buying a 21' Chevy 4500 chassised C class RV (20K GVM with ~10K wet/loaded weight = 10K towing) and love the convenience that comes with it. Nothing better than always having air conditioning and a cold drink whenever you want it. I really wanted the Diesel Merc. (primarily for the fuel consumption) but decided that there was no way I could ever tow an enclosed and so that ended it for me.

Have fun.
It's a Class IV factory hitch from Mercedes, and the ladder frame chassis of the Sprinter is strong enough to tow 7500 pounds per the factory with a 750 lb. tongue weight. GCWR is going to limit me to 6400 or less, and closer to 5000 with the rig loaded up. You may have been looking at a 2500 chassis, which will only tow 5000 lbs dry.

Whatever the trailer I'm going to be careful about my weights. I realize I've bought a rig that has relatively little overhead for towing, but that's kinda the point. I can tow light, get 15-odd MPG doing it, and have all the amenities I need for paddock camping. I don't get all the buzz about having an enclosed, at least not for DE. If I were racing and wanted to carry spares for everything, that may be a different story.

Congrats on your Chevy C rig. I seriously shopped Class C, it's really where you get a little of everything (room, beds, tow). I wanted something my wife wouldn't be intimidated to drive and couldn't ignore the fuel economy on the Sprinter.

Sweet trailer. Reminds me a bit of a Dymaxion car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car
Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

That's what I tow. Very nice design and weighs 2350 lbs. It fits my 'space' nicely and can haul any of my cars. It is spartan to say the least but we really love it.
If I had the space I would have a double car hauler.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:36 PM
jittsl
Racer

[QUOTE=number9ine;10576458]It's a Class IV factory hitch from Mercedes, and the ladder frame chassis of the Sprinter is strong enough to tow 7500 pounds per the factory with a 750 lb. tongue weight. GCWR is going to limit me to 6400 or less, and closer to 5000 with the rig loaded up. You may have been looking at a 2500 chassis, which will only tow 5000 lbs dry.[QUOTE]

As long as you checked and know what your dealing with then you'll be all good. Do yourself the favor of checking your RV's (and your trailer's) loaded weight on a commercial scale - in my case they lied.

[QUOTE]Whatever the trailer I'm going to be careful about my weights. I realize I've bought a rig that has relatively little overhead for towing, but that's kinda the point. I can tow light, get 15-odd MPG doing it, and have all the amenities I need for paddock camping. I don't get all the buzz about having an enclosed, at least not for DE. If I were racing and wanted to carry spares for everything, that may be a different story.[QUOTE]

I fully sympathize. In my case the C class was as small as I could go (given that i do race and need to carry 8-12 spare tires, a gearbox, full tools etc.) but if I could have made it work I definitely would have gone with a B class and definitely a Mercedes - the road going dynamics are so much sweeter than the Chev or Ford equivalents

Despite my final choice however I love the freedom of having any RV. Already this year I have made one trip to Sebring from San Antonio (1300miles) as well as Watkins Glen (1800 miles) as well as several Local tracks. Nothing better than pulling over wherever you feel like, making dinner or a cuppa and then settling in for the night. My dog by the way actually prefers to hang out in the RV (now referred to as the doghouse) and I don't take that as a reflection on my home he just likes being able to climb on any furniture he likes.

[QUOTE]Congrats on your Chevy C rig. I seriously shopped Class C, it's really where you get a little of everything (room, beds, tow). I wanted something my wife wouldn't be intimidated to drive and couldn't ignore the fuel economy on the Sprinter.[QUOTE]

I initially thought the same thing and then I remembered how much I hate my wife's driving at the best of times. I'ld be interested to hear what you actually get for fuel consumption (and at what cruising speed) when you are all loaded up. In my case I can get 10mpg if I average 65 and I can drop it to 6mpg by trying to hold down 85 (which is legal in some parts of Texas. In general I set the cruise control for 75mph and return about 8mpg. Horrific if looked at in isolation but not a whole lot worse than the 11mpg that I used to average in my Cayenne (albeit at higher speeds)

Sweet trailer. Reminds me a bit of a Dymaxion car: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymaxion_car
I've seen Dave's trailer and it is a thing of beauty.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:05 PM
schmoo-msm
3rd Gear

Hi All,

I'm a miata guy, but signed up here because all the used Trailex equipment always seems to come up for sale here.

Now that I'm seeing the Aerovault unit, which might actually be able to fit in my garage, I'm pretty intrigued.

Dave, since you're only Aerovault owner I know of, would you mind fielding some questions?

1) Are you able to fit an tire set of big 911 wheels on that shelf at the front? The most I'd ever put would be a set of 275/35R15.

2) Do you have enough room for tools, fuel, and spares?

3) How do you find loading and unloading? I've always like the big trailex awning door for being able to open the driver's door for egress, but walking beside the car is interesting, too. How does it work in practice?

Lastly, if you have any pics of you've arranged things inside your unit, I'd greatly appreciate being able to see them.

Best regards,

N
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5
Old 07-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by schmoo-msm
Hi All,

I'm a miata guy, but signed up here because all the used Trailex equipment always seems to come up for sale here.

Now that I'm seeing the Aerovault unit, which might actually be able to fit in my garage, I'm pretty intrigued.

Dave, since you're only Aerovault owner I know of, would you mind fielding some questions?

1) Are you able to fit an tire set of big 911 wheels on that shelf at the front? The most I'd ever put would be a set of 275/35R15.

2) Do you have enough room for tools, fuel, and spares?

3) How do you find loading and unloading? I've always like the big trailex awning door for being able to open the driver's door for egress, but walking beside the car is interesting, too. How does it work in practice?

Lastly, if you have any pics of you've arranged things inside your unit, I'd greatly appreciate being able to see them.

Best regards,

N
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5
Sorry for the late reply. I did get your PM but have been swamped.
The Aerovault is a great trailer and we love it. If I had more space where I live, I would have a two car hauler or a big 1 car hauler. The Aerovault works for us right now.
I can put a set of 245 and 275/18 tires on the shelf at the front of the trailer with no problem.
I've gotten pretty clever at fitting fuel jugs in front of the car, under the shelf and next to the tires. I sometimes have seven 5-6 gallon jugs in the trailer.
Loading and unloading is very easy with the remote controlled winch. Unless you are pretty flexible, it would be difficult to drive in and then climb out the window.
I carry the vast majority of tools and spare parts in the back of my pick up truck.
Hope this helps,
Dave
Old 07-27-2013, 07:07 PM
schmoo-msm
3rd Gear

Thanks very much for the info, Dave. Very much appreciated.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:38 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was looking at on eBay

Dealer still running auction on it

Love it

Sent from my iPad using Rennlist
Old 07-27-2013, 09:35 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 193 Posts

That long haired Stacey dude did a build of a flat Featherlite on Gears that is very informative.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:14 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Didn't expect to take this long, but it's been a busy month. I ordered a 716CHA from R&R Trailers with a custom open deck, spare tire, locking toolbox, tire carrier, and removable driver side fender. Total cost before delivery about $4350.

After checking out Trailex, Featherlite, and every other aluminum mfr I could find, I settled on this trailer because the company has a good rep here and elsewhere, the price is unbeatable for what I'm getting, and the total weight of the trailer and all accessories will be under 1200# or so. While I'm not sure if I like the ramp mount up front, I do like the fact that it acts as a rock guard.

I should have it in a few weeks. May not have it in time for WGI later this month but I will follow up with my impressions on towing, MPG, etc. after my next event.

Here's a close approximation of the trailer (not the car :-) ) from the mfr site:

Now I'm off to find something to lock the tongue with so the trailer doesn't walk away in the night. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

That's an unbelievable price for an aluminum trailer with nice options. Well done!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

A winter update... about 800 miles of towing on the Interstate over the fall. She tows like a dream, about 14.5 MPG averaging 65-75 MPH. Hope to do even better once broken in. Here's a shot from WGI:

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  177.4 KB

Packing up for a 2400-mile road trip to Phoenix next week. Pulled the rig out of storage and drove home in light snow with no traction problems. Hitching up the new car and planning to take it nice and easy on the roads.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  126.1 KB

Happy new year! Hope all are staying warm.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 758 Likes on 498 Posts

Awesome! It looks great!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New rig - trailer opinions?