Sponsored by:

New rig - trailer opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 11:20 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question New rig - trailer opinions?

I just picked up a Class B RV to tow and camp at the paddock. It's an Airstream Interstate on the MB Sprinter chassis. Seats 8, sleeps 3, decent MPG (18+). I know I'll be shamed at the paddock by y'all with diesel pushers and double stackers, but going (relatively) compact was worth the tradeoffs.

Pics for clicks:

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 2162
Size:  79.0 KB

Name:  07.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  27.jpg
Views: 1985
Size:  77.1 KB

Now it's time to choose a car hauler. The Sprinter has a 7500 lb. tow capacity before Airstream turns it into a rolling sofa, which brings that down to 6400 lbs. Adding gear, people, water, propane will leave me about 5k lbs. for car and trailer. My 3300 lb. 997 leaves me with 1700 lbs. total for trailer, set of spares, and my toolbox. Tongue weight is 750 max.

I have a few choices. The Trailex 7541 and 8045 are both under 1k lbs. but cost between $6-7k. On the cheaper end of things, there's a few open deck steel trailers that are relatively lightweight. Econo-Trailer sells a model for about $2400 that weighs 1450 lbs.

Used aluminum trailers are so expensive that I may as well spend the extra money to buy new and not worry about poor maintenance. Every used steel trailer I've looked at on racingjunk, craigslist, etc. is beat to hell. I'm leaning toward the Econo-Trailer and put the $$ saved toward a trans cooler and track consumables.

What say you, O Rennlisters? No jokes about tow dollies or suggestions on enclosed trailers please.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Trailex. They tow well behind anything and are the lightest. Plus, if you only have 1,700 pounds for trailer and spares, a 1,400 pound steel trailer will never work. A set of tires and rims will be close to 200 pounds.

The Airstream looks great! I've always thought those would be way to go to the track.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Double check that tow capacity usually all sprinters are 5000....least when i looked at em last year
Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

A couple friends have recently bought open aluminum R & R trailers. I think they only sell direct, and are located in Michigan. I used to have a featherlite open, and the R&R is close in quality, for less $. With a tire rack on it, the price would be about mid point between Trailex and the steel trailer you mention. I'm in no way affiliated with them, just tossing out an alternative from the more obvious options (featherlite, ATC, Trailex)
Old 06-29-2013, 02:37 AM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Matt,

You bring up a good point about me hovering near the weight limit. However, we do plan to pack efficiently elsewhere. I'm going to load up the rig and head for the scales to figure out what sort of overhead is actually left for towing. I don't want to exceed GCWR (15250 lbs.)

My wife and I think the Interstate is about as nice as you can make an oversquare bread box on wheels look. The interior is head and shoulders above the other Sprinter conversions in terms of quality and aesthetics. It's an easy drive too.

Der ABT,

The Sprinter 3500 chassis (extended wheelbase, dual rear) has a factory-rated tow capacity of 7500. The 2500s and the older generation Sprinters are 5000.

BlueBarchetta,

The R&R trailers look even better built than the Trailex and seem to be a lot cheaper too. I'll put them on my short list.

Thanks all.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Go Trailex, every pound you save will be a pound you can pack. I am dreaming of a similar set up one day, so went enclosed Trailex for now (to use with my X5 SUV).

New Trailex is expensive, but piece of mind (new) and as you see they hold their value, would offset any initial investment IMHO.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:17 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 204 Posts

Interesting tow vehicle.
I see that it has a sink. Is there a crapper?
Old 06-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Nice vehicle - congrats!

I was actual toying with a similar one for car hauling but it would have not allowed me to set-up to an enclosed trailer.

Look at Trailex vs Featherlight, Aluma, etc. The Trailex will be lighter, more expensive, shorter, higher and will have longer ramps. This means that the tire rack will be higher and you will be driving your car under it. The Trailex will be about 300 lbs lighter than the other comparable aluminum trailers. Do your math and keep it conservative, which will most likely lead you to a Trailex.

Buy one used that has maintenance records and do a PPI. Not much can go wrong that way.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:54 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...n-florida.html
Old 06-29-2013, 01:14 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet rig. Wish they put a bigger motor for more towing!!! I would be all over that.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:20 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've been thinking about doing the same setup, I just sold my stacker and have someone interested in the toter. I spent almost two years getting a combo that was just under 65' to be California legal and have used it twice when i realized what a pain in the a$$ it is to haul all the crap.

I am using a dually and 36' gooseneck now but I am headed your way.

How much does the enclosed Trailex weigh, I really like the security of an enclosed trailer.

Please keep us posted.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:48 PM
number9ine
Rennlist Member

Kein and Eric,

Thanks for the trailex recommendation. No doubt they're the lightest, their smaller open trailer is under 900 lbs! But the premium is high.

Coochas,

We like it. It has a full wet bath and toilet.

Mcipseric,

The turbo diesel has 320 lb-ft of torque. The chassis was made to tow, just not to tow a garage on wheels. I'm fine with an open trailer right now, maybe the bug will bite me for a bigger rig down the road.

DHI,

Thanks for the link. I think I'm gonna shop local only, or buy new and ship.

Surfbum,

You might look at Bs on Chevy or Ford chassis if you want to tow enclosed; the lightest enclosed I can find for my car is over 2k lbs. I'll update on my choice.

Thanks everyone.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I'm surprised no one else had thrown out this option - you could track a lighter car........Going to an old 911 will save you 1,000 pounds.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:31 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by mcipseric
Sweet rig. Wish they put a bigger motor for more towing!!! I would be all over that.
Engine size is not what limits towing capacity. It is usually brakes, transmission, frame, suspension to make sure those items are not stressed beyond their design limits.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:31 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Number9ine, I had a Chinook with a Ford, it was hyped as "the sportscar of motorhomes". Great unit, wonderful finishes but it towed terribly.

A friend of mine uses his Sprinter with his rally car, he uses the empty Sprinter to carry his enormous amount of spares and has a small enclosed featherlite.

He says it tows great but it looks a little overweight to me. It would be great to have the motorhome version at the track.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: New rig - trailer opinions?