Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antiquated Race Circuits

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought the tracks want you to hit things so they can charge you for armco etc. How new tracks can be built like NJMP with hundreds of acres and guard rails, walls etc to hit is bafling to me.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:10 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
btw is Blackhawk Farm still open?

that's the only track I've been on where the safety facilities (or lack thereof) truly concerned me. partially because a few months before I was there, a formula car driver was killed when a deer ran in front of him from the forest 50 feet away from the front stretch.

Yes, new owner in the last few years. Lots of updates although I think mostly in paddock. Not sure what has been done on the track.

As for forest near track, that's found at most tracks. Outside of the rovals I can't think of any that don't have a forested area close to the track.

FWIW I've seen deer strikes at a LOT of tracks. More than I care to think about actually. I know I've been on pit wall yelling at a steward that a deer on/near the track needs to be a full course yellow.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:13 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
How new tracks can be built like NJMP with hundreds of acres and guard rails, walls etc to hit is bafling to me.
It's to keep pro cars (and others) from getting to the spectators... Seriously. This is the MAJOR concern event and venue (circuit) insurance underwriters care about.

When Panoz put 8-12' tall concrete walls less than 50' off the racing surface 80-85% of the way around the circuit, it started collecting more cars. It became less "club driver friendly," IMO. But they HAD to keep the cars out of the spectator areas. And one of the best circuit and motorsports insurance representatives in the business, Tony Phelps, of K&K, was part of that push, IIRC.

Also, the speeds have increased. I remember twenty years ago and a well-driven 944 Turbo could be one of the quickest cars on track at a DE. Now, you have MANY cars that come to VIR for DE's that routinely exceed 150 and even 160 mph. Crazy. The debris field is a lot bigger the faster you go...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-25-2013, 05:17 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Yes, new owner in the last few years. Lots of updates although I think mostly in paddock. Not sure what has been done on the track.

As for forest near track, that's found at most tracks. Outside of the rovals I can't think of any that don't have a forested area close to the track.
true but at Blackhawk it's right there

it's a cool little track, glad it's still operating...it's just scary
Old 06-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Interesting insights, as usual, Peter, and a very interesting reference piece.
I'm happy and surprised to see the major NE tracks are all FIA Grade 2's (WGI, LRP, NJMP).
Would never have guessed LRP.
And with all the thought that goes into pits and garage, one has to wonder how the pit in to Korea ever got past?
I was actually talking with Simon at LRP a couple of weeks ago about this. Charlie from FIA actually visits every track that gets their certification to make sure it is ok.

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports

FWIW I've seen deer strikes at a LOT of tracks. More than I care to think about actually. I know I've been on pit wall yelling at a steward that a deer on/near the track needs to be a full course yellow.
At LRP a couple of weeks ago I saw a deer hanging out down the escape road. Told the head flagger and they weren't concerned until it got on track.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by gums
Interesting insights, as usual, Peter, and a very interesting reference piece.
I'm happy and surprised to see the major NE tracks are all FIA Grade 2's (WGI, LRP, NJMP).
Would never have guessed LRP.
And with all the thought that goes into pits and garage, one has to wonder how the pit in to Korea ever got past?
Excellent thread, gums. Thanks for starting it.

I've done almost all of my racing/DE at LRP, WGI, NJMP, VIR and Monticello (and I love them all!). Glad to see most of them on the FIA list. Will be racing Mid-Ohio in September for the first time.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
I personally self-boycott tracks like Summit Point. Life is to precious and its just not worth it to exponentially increase the risk.
i raced enough to know that $h%t does happen and we will all eventually crash one day or total a car, either by our own fault or unfortunate circumstances (I decided to start Club Racing the day I crashed my GT2 at 140mph going up the Esses at The Glen due to someone else's oil spill).

The day that happens (and has happened!) and I want to be free of guilt that I did everything I could to prevent a severe injury or fatality, and that most importantly starts with the race venue (then car, mechanical spec, race organization, safety equipment, etc.)
Agree with you on this Carlos. I was directly behind you in the summit race two years ago when you had the unfortunate shunt coming out of turn 2 in the cayman (any other track, and you wouldn't have ended up on your roof). I can rattle off a list of my friends that have rolled or had major impacts with burms, trees and other inanimate objects at summit point in the past few years. Each would have been avoidable with better run-off or appropriate barriers. My short list includes Nick B in his black 993 at turn 9 (car was totaled), Jeff c in his Miata launching over 20 ft in the air between 3 and 4 (car was totaled).. .same exact spot that the spec e30 flipped on a recent thread, Brett D with a spectacular launch over the guard rail and into the trees at the start on the front straight in a MARRS race (car totaled), Ian C in a spec Miata at 6a (car was totaled), Tom D in a 993 at turn 9... I am sure the list can go on. I have to say that I do enjoy that track, but I cringe every time I think about the specific added risk when I race there.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I started DEing at Blackhawk, won't go back. I've seen cars disappear into the woods after a brake failure, took them 10 minutes to find him. I've seen cars literally disappear into grass so tall you can't see a car in it. Lotsa trees real nearby, short, choppy, never really felt comfortable (or at least as comfortable as you ever feel) there.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
btw is Blackhawk Farm still open?

that's the only track I've been on where the safety facilities (or lack thereof) truly concerned me. partially because a few months before I was there, a formula car driver was killed when a deer ran in front of him from the forest 50 feet away from the front stretch.
Yes, my friend was just there last month for a PCA DE.

Greg A
Old 06-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Cheyenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
...pay attention to approaching limits gradually, rather than throwing it at the wall and hoping it sticks.
In the grand scheme of things, how big a factor do you think this is in DE and club race crashes?

Also, is it something that repeats, or a lesson learned once per driver?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:48 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheyenne
In the grand scheme of things, how big a factor do you think this is in DE and club race crashes?

Also, is it something that repeats, or a lesson learned once per driver?
Please just go do a few...
Old 06-25-2013, 07:35 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

While I respect Carlos' decision, I don't think the car has much to do with it.
The debris field is a lot bigger the faster you go...
With all due respect, Peter, and that's a lot of respect, I think you're contradicting yourself here. And to my point, faster cars need bigger tracks.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

While I respect Carlos' decision, I don't think the car has much to do with it.

I have averaged 98 mph at Summit, 100+ at Roebling, 102+ at Road Atlanta and am knocking on 105 mph AVERAGE at Lime Rock in a car with less horsepower than your car, Frank!

If I make a mistake and hit something, it's not any less hard, less dangerous or less expensive at Lime Rock's West Bend than the Chute at Summit Point or the bottom of the Esses at Road Atlanta.

All you can do is make SURE your restraint system is up to snuff (which is why I have so MANY of my customers buy custom-fitted Bald Spot Seats and pay a LOT of attention to hazards INSIDE the car), that structurally you've lifed fasteners and suspension components, including wheels and that you pay attention to approaching limits gradually, rather than throwing it at the wall and hoping it sticks.

The organization and the culture you choose to race with can influence adversely your risk profile. I think of the unnecessary Spec E30 accident at NASA Mid-Atlantic's HyperFest event on Summit Main recently. Bad deal, for both guys...
Although faster means more risk (or more energy to be dissipated in an accident), I agree that the speed of the car in the corner is not that much different among sportscars (slow and fast), and during cornering is where most of the accidents happen.
Check what happened to me in an unfortunate spin at SPR (over a wet patch in T1 during practice) a few years back. In a "normal" track such an off doesnt end up with the car up side down. The car was easy to fix and I didnt have a scratch on me, but just look at where the trees are, and the banked dirt can act as a ramp at higher speeds.
This wasnt in the Cup. It was in my H Stock Cayman.

https://vimeo.com/15472750
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Mid Ohio finally fixed that broken urinal after three years!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:16 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
Check what happened to me in an unfortunate spin at SPR (over a wet patch in T1 during practice) a few years back. In a "normal" track such an off doesnt end up with the car up side down. The car was easy to fix and I didnt have a scratch on me, but just look at where the trees are, and the banked dirt can act as a ramp at higher speeds.
This wasnt in the Cup. It was in my H Stock Cayman.

https://vimeo.com/15472750
That was ridiculous. I saw enough in this thread to scratch Summit Point off my track list for a while.

Quick Reply: Antiquated Race Circuits