Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race car driver deaths article

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 02:07 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Decapitation - Russell Phillips 1995 (RIP)

open cockpit, or a tin top that can easily become one + catch fencing = bad news
catch fencing still has not been fully addressed.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:12 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 760 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
Knowing what your heart rate is in the car tells you where your heart rate should be when you are training.
Not really. It just tells you what your heart rate is when you are driving.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/hrm1.htm

Scott
Old 06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 451 Likes on 203 Posts

[QUOTE=mjb;10570148]
Originally Posted by gums
I often times wear a heart monitor when cycling, as many of us do. It really is a big help in knowing when to push and when you're maxing, a useful aid. But for car racing, I wouldn't even look at it.[/QUOTEC]

Exactly. I use it when training on the bike as well, and heart rate / threshold training is invaluable for maximizing your performance in endurance sports...but not, as we seem to agree, for providing useful data (or detecting when your might be close to a stroke or heart attack) in a car racing environment.
It's to prevent a heart attack, not tell you when you are about to have it.

As it's been stated by others, racing should not be your only physical activity. We all should be doing some other form of activity to train and ensure we are in proper physical condition before subjecting our bodies to the condition inside a race car. Many believe, myself included, that the most beneficial training can be achieved when you keep your heart rate in the same range as it will see during a race. In other words, don't train anaerobically with your heart rate at 160+ if your racing heart rate is only 130. You need to understand your rate in the car to properly target your training rate.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=jakermc;10570268]
Originally Posted by mjb
As it's been stated by others, racing should not be your only physical activity.
Absolutely. A big reason why I train is so that towards the end of a hot race I'm still on the pace. I can't tell you how many times I've played that card. Especially at this time of the year.

Quick Reply: Race car driver deaths article