Sponsored by:

open trailer tie down question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 10:44 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
i havent used a trailex but would be leery of a trailer that weighs 900 lbs doing the job for a 3000 lb car. my trailer is all c channel with steel decking. not light but pulls straight and can haul a 6000 lb truck on it if needed
I pull an open Trailex with a MB ML550...
Easy, stable and secure.
I can assure you, the Trailex ROCKS.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:16 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Um if your headlights are pointing to the sky I would think that would be an indication of your tongue weight being too high.
the sky being a slight exaggeration. as with most any truck they are setup to ride height with no weight on the rear. unless you run a 3500 desiel type. add trailer weight and the rear of the truck dips slightly. add 21 gals of fuel and it dips more but only on the drivers side as thats were the tank is located.
most modern trucks have the ride setup more for comfort than work. softer springs and shocks. im 1000 lbs below my tow capacity with dual axles and dual brakes with a breakaway kit and 2 5/16" ball

add the ride rite airbags and everything evens out and ride is much improved. disclaimer! ride rite airbags are not intended to add to the tow capacity of any truck. they merely level the ride and allow for a firmer better ride

if you look at the pics i posted the rear of the car is slightly forward but the car is centered as much as possible over the 2 trailer axles .

loading the car with the majority of the weight to the rear of a trailer will cause the trailer to sway form side to side going down the road. watch a set of tractor trailer doubles going down the interstate. if the set sways then its a good bet the rear trailer weighs more than the front trailer. when hauling doubles the empty trailer is always on the rear of the set.

try it once and see if you like the ride. you can always go back to the way you did it before
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

i also use rubber wheels chocks (sp?) i bought at HF if your worried about any rocking
Old 06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 325 Posts

Towing my 996 on an open trailex with an '12 VW diesel Touareg. Couldn't be better. Before I got into this heard about the horrors of trailer sway and other issues to be aware of. Was a nervous wreck the 1st time I hooked everything up. The only thing that told me I was pulling a trailer was the ******* that was constantly tailgating me LOL. No sway, no issues.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I pull my Spec Boxster on a Trailex open (7541) with a GMC Acadia (5200 lb towing capacity rating) and I can hardly tell the trailer is back there. It tows just so nicely. The Trailex really opens up the ability for several SUVs to tow that steel trailers never would...
Old 06-24-2013, 10:15 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Regarding the OP's original question about strapping down a car on an open trailer, I go through all four wheels using Mac's tie downs. I use the D-rings in the rear, but installed two "lashing winches" in the front of my trailer to provide a great way to have the wheel straps pull directly forward as to not strain the alignment. The lashing winches also don't take up nearly the space normal ratchets do, so they work in tight spaces (which I also needed). See post #21 in this thread for pictures of my setup which works great for me:

https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-and-drivers-education-forum/645613-low-car-on-a-trailer-question-and-strap-placement.html
Old 06-25-2013, 09:03 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by ohenryinatlanta
i also use rubber wheels chocks (sp?) i bought at HF if your worried about any rocking
i wouldnt do that. if a chock comes loose and hits a car behind you it could be a nasty accident
Old 06-25-2013, 09:46 AM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

i wouldnt do that. if a chock comes loose and hits a car behind you it could be a nasty accident
they are secured with straps.......
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Originally Posted by ohenryinatlanta
they are secured with straps.......
and the straps are secured to..... if you tie down the car properly and securely you dont have to add anything else. take the advice provided or dont. for reference i was a teamster carhauler for gm for 14 yrs. over 2 million miles logged and never lost a car. i dont know much but this topic i do!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:46 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

and the straps are secured to..... if you tie down the car properly and securely you dont have to add anything else. take the advice provided or dont. for reference i was a teamster carhauler for gm for 14 yrs. over 2 million miles logged and never lost a car. i dont know much but this topic i do!
huh ? no need to get testy. the car is secured with mac straps. i use SEPERATE straps to hold the wheel chocks.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:19 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all I would add to the OP is that you may want to consider a 20ft trailer and then you have some deck space for the eventual tire rack and storage box...OR if you have to stay with 17, make the tire rack a drive under type

Also, if you are planning on only using the trailer for track days -- I would consider and aluminum trailer for the simple reason that they are very easy to sell when you eventually go enclosed :-) and if you buy a name brand (FL, trailex, atc, etc) then you will likely get 90% of what you spent on it back...

Tie down logic -- tons of arguments for the "right way"
on my open using mac tiedowns, I did thru the wheel with no alignment issues - straight ahead in the front and crossed in the rear.

Another thing that you may want to consider installing on the deck of an open trailer is parking assist ramps like this:
http://www.pitpal.com/products/Assist_Ramps-992-37.html
race ramps make these too

these have the obvious benefit of parking in the same spot each time (assuming you get the tongue weight figured out etc)... they also get the front end of the car up a few inches which is nice for strapping down etc.
Old 07-06-2013, 03:17 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

PJ - I thought of alum open trailer for long time but I just plunged down on cheap metal open trailer w tire rack. It works for now. It is heavy but it gets the job done for now.

I told myself, if I don't get enclosed w proper tow vehicle, what the point =) I'm just waiting to finish lease on x5 50i.. At least that thing has some torque to pull. Inevitably, I'll be looking at diesel truck to pull enclosed in about a year or so.

I'll be using rennline tow plate on my 997 front and back. Cross fronts and straight/cross tie the rear. As redundancy, I will hook ties to wheels (w those cushion padded ties). This is all to the 4 D rings in each corner.

In retrospective, should I have gotten alum? For now, I rather spend to get more coaching and data recoding system to improve my driving. =) I'll reward myself when I get much faster.

Thanks guys. I'll post some pics of my trailer setup and "first time" loading it up.
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2013, 03:38 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
PJ - I thought of alum open trailer for long time but I just plunged down on cheap metal open trailer w tire rack. It works for now. It is heavy but it gets the job done for now.

I told myself, if I don't get enclosed w proper tow vehicle, what the point =) I'm just waiting to finish lease on x5 50i.. At least that thing has some torque to pull. Inevitably, I'll be looking at diesel truck to pull enclosed in about a year or so.

I'll be using rennline tow plate on my 997 front and back. Cross fronts and straight/cross tie the rear. As redundancy, I will hook ties to wheels (w those cushion padded ties). This is all to the 4 D rings in each corner.

In retrospective, should I have gotten alum? For now, I rather spend to get more coaching and data recoding system to improve my driving. =) I'll reward myself when I get much faster.

Thanks guys. I'll post some pics of my trailer setup and "first time" loading it up.
1 in a yr, maybe my 44' and dually for sale to u
2 just chase DRL, u will improve a lot
3. did u but trailer at a hair salon? or were u just getting that pink spandex for t hill event at the salon?
Old 07-06-2013, 04:03 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

LOL! You shouldve seen the whole family working there. Kids are cleaning after the dad's welding mess and metal scraps while the wife gives haircut and his cousin and daughter sits there munching on cheetos.

Soon you will get a 18 wheeler and carry 3 cars. Each car for Fri, Sat, Sunday event. Heck, tell mikymu that so he brings all his toys.

I will gladly take ur dually truck and your massive condo u carry behind it. Drl may need the big one sooner than me.

Following drl may be challenging but I learned what to do from ur avatar if he goes too fast.
Old 07-06-2013, 05:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

send ur email to my pm. i show u video

Quick Reply: open trailer tie down question