open trailer tie down question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:31 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default open trailer tie down question

Hi guys.
Getting my first open trailer. It is steel 17 ft long for 997 gt3. I've never towed anything before in my life.

Question about tie downs.
Some people tie to wheels and rear axel.
I will have 4 d rings on the floor and another rl member uses rennline tow plate (the red ones on their site). I assume you criss cross from the plate to the d ring and just latch them down? Just 4 straps and it should be enough?

Do you guys leave the winch attached to front tow hook for extra security?

I don't know anything but I like the rennline tow plate idea... Tying to the wheels w padding is cheap but it is pretty secure?

Thanks
Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 834 Likes on 514 Posts

Attaching to your wheels can get your alignment out of whack so these Rennline Hooks work quite well. Crossing the tow staps limits sideways movement and is a good idea. One more thing to do is check your tongue weight to assure your car is loaded correctly. After your car is tied down correctly and everything is tight, put it in gear. No need to keep the winch attached. Make sure you have good quality tie down straps and you get at least two windings on the roll as you tighten them, otherwise they can come quite loose.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by kormaster
Hi guys.
Getting my first open trailer. It is steel 17 ft long for 997 gt3. I've never towed anything before in my life.

Question about tie downs.
Some people tie to wheels and rear axel.
I will have 4 d rings on the floor and another rl member uses rennline tow plate (the red ones on their site). I assume you criss cross from the plate to the d ring and just latch them down? Just 4 straps and it should be enough?

Do you guys leave the winch attached to front tow hook for extra security?

I don't know anything but I like the rennline tow plate idea... Tying to the wheels w padding is cheap but it is pretty secure?

Thanks
On my 993 w/ 322mm rotors there isn't room to use padded straps on the wheel unless you just go through a spoke rather than through the wheel, I don't feel secure that way but some do. I connect to the chassis at 4 pts, on mine there are 2 factory tie down points in front and I added 2 in the back.

I don't cross the rear straps because the length is too short, do the geometry of yours, the shorter the strap length the less fore/aft force is applied, fore/aft is more important than side to side I want 4 straps that pull primarily fore/aft
Old 06-22-2013, 08:56 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you install something like THESE at all 4 wheels. These will make securing the car much easier and faster.
I don't cross the straps, some do. I would never leave the car in gear while towing. The rocking is not good for the trans.

Check and double check your install. I usually drive a few miles, stop and recheck.
If you find the back of your trailer wagging, re-position the car slightly forward.
The trailer should appear relatively level and the back of the truck should not be dipping from excessive tongue weight.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:34 AM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Handbrake.
Not in gear.
Noose strap through the wheel. (Permits car suspension to also damp road movement)
Not crossed. (Helps reduce stresses that may throw alignment out of whack.)
Straps not too tight!!
Old 06-22-2013, 11:57 AM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

The rennline thingies work nicely. I used them on my open criss cross pattern but switched to using wheels straight pattern when i got enclosed bc rennline hooks are harder to access.

Everyone has an opinion about which tie down method is better. Macs tie downs - the tie downs you want - recommends going thru wheels and straight, not criss cross. You don't need the straps guitar string tight, and many ppl will tell you the whole alignment issue thjng is a bunch of hocus pocus....

The rennline mounts will attach to the front jackpoint, which will limit your use of flat top style jackstand due to a large bolt protruding down at the center of the plate. Rears are not on the jackpoint.

Winch on an open is ok but i always just drove mine up. Drive into enclosed also. Honest i find this easier than mucking around with a winch. On an open space will be tight and i would prefer to use that space for tongue box fuel jugs etc. of course if your car fails winch is nice but car can be pushed onto trailer.

Handbrake yes
NOT in gear
Straps should be 2-4 ft longer than actual tie down distance. Shorter is not safe as not enough strap in ratchet; longer is annoying (on open) cause you have to tie up all the excess which will be flapping around otherwise. So, decide how you will tie down, then measure, then buy straps.
Old 06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the various options discussed here. I think rennline tow plate seems like a good idea if accessibility is not an issue.

Wheel strap idea and alignment - interesting potential negative outcome but I see a lot doing this.

So few things I picked up here.
1)No need to cross the tie downs
2)Don't leave in gear (duh) - hand brake it.
3)Winch wire connection to front tow hook while towing is stupid and unnecessary
4) rennline tow plate nice but front jack point get occupied w a bolt sticking out so can't use flat top jackstand. What can u use then? How about hf alum jack stand that has a rubber rectangular top?
Old 06-22-2013, 02:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you've never towed before, I would strongly suggest you read this first

http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm

And then buy one of these:
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

And then get a proper tow vehicle with proper rear mirror extensions/visibility, proper brake controller and then find a large open spot to practice driving, stopping, backing up, turning, connecting/disconnecting the trailer, etc.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM
drl
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 65 Posts

you can also get rennline gadget for rears and do criss-cross or straight, and do wheels (straight) on front
Old 06-22-2013, 02:56 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kormaster
Thanks for the various options discussed here. I think rennline tow plate seems like a good idea if accessibility is not an issue.

Wheel strap idea and alignment - interesting potential negative outcome but I see a lot doing this.

So few things I picked up here.
1)No need to cross the tie downs
2)Don't leave in gear (duh) - hand brake it.
3)Winch wire connection to front tow hook while towing is stupid and unnecessary
4) rennline tow plate nice but front jack point get occupied w a bolt sticking out so can't use flat top jackstand. What can u use then? How about hf alum jack stand that has a rubber rectangular top?
Perhaps this is the case with your car and Rennline style hooks, but my hooks don't interfere with anything. They are great for tie down. Look at your car then check around. I imagine there are some made for your car that don't get in the way. So convenient, click and go.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:03 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with many, do NOT leave car in gear. Set parking brake since you have one and why not leave the winch attached with a touch of slack. Cheap insurance.

I like the Rennline hooks in the rear, but I need my jacking point up front. I just hook behind the front jacking point (not into the hole). It's hollow and the strap-hook fits nicely. I've towed a variety of P-cars this way with out any issues.....
Old 06-22-2013, 04:07 PM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Ok. ordering rennline tow plate =)

Much reading.. i thought i did enough reading and talked to some people.. but need to understand safety stuff. Thanks guys!
Old 06-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

The reason to not leave the winch attached is to avoid having the winch accidentally engage. At best will burn out the winch motor, at worst..?
Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

For those that don't have a parking brake, you are leaving the car in neutral? Carl from Trailex says leave the car in gear. Says he has had this discussion a million times.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
For those that don't have a parking brake, you are leaving the car in neutral? Carl from Trailex says leave the car in gear. Says he has had this discussion a million times.
Maybe in a M22 rock crusher, but Porsche transmissions can be a little more delicate. 3,000lbs rocking back-n-forth against your gears just can't be a good for your gearbox's longevity not to mention the flywheel teeth and how about your crank. It just isn't necessary.

Stewart I've never heard of a winch going off by itself. Has that really happened?

Quick Reply: open trailer tie down question