Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dress for bear

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 09:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Remember that Nomex suits are not fire PROOF, only fire RESISTANT. They buy you valuable seconds to get out of a burning vehicle. And frankly, they buy you far fewer than most folks realize. So, a 3 layer suit buys you more seconds than a 2 layer. Thus, if you wear cotton underneath, your fire resistance stops with the suit. But if you wear Nomex or Carbon X undergarments, you buy a few more seconds of fire RESISTANCE to get away.

'Nuff said.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a little in your face, but here you go...

nuff said!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:03 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

the rubber in the underwear band is what I to worry most about. I've seen pics of burnt skin around the waist....

another thing is these suits don't help with hot oil.... but that's usually more of a problem in open wheeled cars.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yep. This is why I relentlessly advise clients to practice exiting their track/race car quickly when all kitted up, especially if they have a full cage. We had to do this in 15 seconds or less for pro sanctioning bodies, fully dressed in Nomex, helmet, HANS, cool shirt, radio, drink bottle, wiindow net, etc., afterhitting kill switch & fire system. Believe me, it is much harder than it sounds. So practice, practice, practice in yourg garage with a friend/spouse who has a stopwatch. Even if all you do is DE...practice!

EDIT: as an aside specifically for TT folks...this past weekend I coached 2 racers at a NASA event where there was also a TT. I hadn't been at a TT in a while. I was astounded at some of the myopia evident there. Many drivers had all sorts of go fast parts, some were even wearing Nomex...but there were few cages, much less roll BARS, in sight. There was one car, a Mitsu Evo, that had a top-shelf AP Racing brake system (probably $6,000), seats & harnesses, fully stripped interior, gigantor wheels & sticky tires, massive turbo upgrade...the car was hugely fast.

Not even a low-end roll bar.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:26 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Deleted. Never mind...
Old 06-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It is a tradeoff, you're right. This is also why I wear a Nomex thong

Not sure where your heart attack comment comes from, though.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,350 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yep. This is why I relentlessly advise clients to practice exiting their track/race car quickly when all kitted up, especially if they have a full cage. We had to do this in 15 seconds or less for pro sanctioning bodies, fully dressed in Nomex, helmet, HANS, cool shirt, radio, drink bottle, wiindow net, etc., afterhitting kill switch & fire system. Believe me, it is much harder than it sounds. So practice, practice, practice in yourg garage with a friend/spouse who has a stopwatch. Even if all you do is DE...practice!
I saw this first occur at NASA Mid-Atlantic SuperComp school and it was very illuminating! A LOT of practice went on after that. I practice with my eyes closed in most cars I drive...

A few years ago, Charles Espenlaub penned a superb article outlining his preparations and execution of those skills when a Miata he was driving in the 25 Hour race caught fire. His training and clearly defined order of extrication was crucial to his success, and he did get burned...

Here's a link: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/art...fighting-fire/
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

It is a tradeoff, you're right. This is also why I wear a Nomex thong
Of course, the boys down there deserve all the protection they can get.
Sorry I deleted the post.

Not sure where your heart attack comment comes from, though.
From the link in the OP here. I also raised the question there about how much overheating and poor body ventilation (due to too many nomex layers) may increase the risk of a heart attack in a race car. The two racing deaths (out of the three last week) were from heart attacks, I think.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:15 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

I wear a Nomex thong

TMI!

That article shows why you want a full face and a visor.

I can't imagine what he would look like without it.

Last edited by mrbill_fl; 06-17-2015 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:10 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

And the heart-stress item actually, IMO, speaks to spending well on your suit too.

I started with a basic Simpson, soon graduated to a nicer Sparco... lighter and breathed better.

This year I treated myself to a super-spendy lightweight Alpinestar. Somewhat to reduce size (better fit) and weight, but a little bit to look the part (something 'bout running Nationals/Majors in a full-tilt open-cockpit car)...

I was amazed, when I finally wore it on a hot day at the track, how much better it breathes. I was expecting more lightness, but it was truly amazing.

(Sadly, didn't get enough time behind the wheel to assess impact - blew the motor in 8 laps...)

So anyway, those blingy expensive suits... are more than just for show.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,350 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
And the heart-stress item actually, IMO, speaks to spending well on your suit too.

I was amazed, when I finally wore it on a hot day at the track, how much better it breathes. I was expecting more lightness, but it was truly amazing.

So anyway, those blingy expensive suits... are more than just for show.
The heat-stress thing with suits has been studied and is a main feature of the Stand 21 line. No affiliation, endorsement, etc.

I only have their helmet, but they do make a convincing case for their suits reducing "heat stress." http://www.stand21ga.com/heat-stress...y=US&iso=US-NC
Old 06-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Philip944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although heat does not help the situation, it most likely plays a much less significant role in race driver's heart attacks than other factors mentioned below. It is most likely caused by the catecholamine surge (adrenaline) from racing itself. This adrenaline rush increases the risk of heart attack and also increases the damage to the muscle of the heart secondary to the increased oxygen/blood demand of the heart from the associated increased heart rate and force of contraction that adrenaline induces. When there is blockage of the coronary artery from a heart attack the muscle downstream from the blockage is starved of vital oxygen. When there is already an increased demand this subsequently increases the damage.

This same, albeit milder, catecholamine surge is why statistically most people have their heart attacks in the morning because of your body's natural rhythm and catecholamine surge in the morning. This is why as an ED doc I get a little twitchier when someone comes in with chest pain around 0500 or so.

Some of this may also be exacerbated by the fact that as racers are driving they may write off the symptoms as something much milder or ignore them altogether because of the obvious task at hand.

Just my two cents...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having endured a few fires, I get in & out of the car with my helmet and Hans on. It's good practice to exit every time with full kit.

When I first bailed from a car while on fire my Hans caught on the door opening, I had to retreat slightly, shrug my shoulders to bring the Hans closer to the helmet to make the escape.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

I presume you mean "ER" doctor?

Very interesting detail, thanks for sharing...

Quick Reply: Dress for bear