Sponsored by:

Dress for bear

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 02:54 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimbo951
Wouldn't you feel kind of stupid if your car caught fire and your driving suit was sitting at home collecting dust?
i've been to many a open track day, private tracks like Monticello, where many guys wear very little, the short sleeve shirts, no hans, no halos on their seats, sweatshirts, or jeans, or whatever....
ill hang, i'll bullsh it with dudes, but when the sessions goes green, i mount up full. if guys look at me as a 'flatout' dude, or 'racer dude' , and they somehow feel threatened or whatever else they think they feel, ...well then so be it. they're not going to take care of my wife and kids if i perish, they arent going to change my diapers if im paralyzed.

i love when guys say "well, i just dont go that hard . im kind of slow out there." i have rarely seen a guy not give full throttle when ripping down a long straight away whatever your car might be, a race car, a gt3 street car or some honda. you come out of the downhill at limerock, no matter what pace you carried through the turn, by end of exit curbing you're pushing full pedal to the floor.

you coul dbe going 40mph nice and easy and someon eelse going 40 center punches your rear and busts open your gas tank, busts an oil line or otherwise. flame-on.

i dont understand these DE groups that allow guys to wear anything but a firesuit, gloves, shoes, socks. is the thought process that these guys dont have the monies to afford 1000 in safety gear, while spending 400 to register, 500 in fuel, tires, brakes, rotors pads. ? arent these DE event sold out like 9 weeks in advance ? are we afraid it comes off feeling too "racey" or "uptight" because we want guys to be as safe as possible.?

i have no idea. i cant figure it out for the life of me. sometimes i watch that pinks show on TV where guys on a drag strip hvae like ZERO sfaety gear. insane. such is life. to me, if im stoopid enough to make a decison to not wear all safety gear thats available, then i deserve the pain and suffering or worse that comes. but those who do not deserve it are your wife, kids, mom, dad, co-employees who will have to live with you in your wrecked state for years, or deal with your death. my wife doesnt deserve to have to blow my nose and change my diapers because i was out having fun with my car buddies and i opted to not wear my hans.

we should all wear full gear all the time, end of story.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

I wear all of my full race gear whenever I get into a client's car, either to drive or ride, no matter what the car. Full nomex, balaclava, hans, shoes, etc.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:21 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Beginning DE and TT driver here, I have no problem "suiting up" really don't give a $**** what other's think when it comes to DE track vanity. Like Mr. Veloce Raptor stated "Full nomex, balaclava, hans, shoes, etc.." Sure I'm hot as hell in the suit, look like a giant penguin (6'5" in a black and white suit...), but I feel safer, and it sure keeps my better half happy when all the safety gear is worn.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:44 AM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend more than any other has reminded me how dangerous our sport is. It's been a bad weekend for deaths and cars totaled. It's really crazy.

There is no question that we all need to be fully suited up and safe every time we get in the car. Sadly even then... it's still dangerous. Le Mans/Nurburgring reminds us of this.

Last edited by gomez1; 06-24-2013 at 03:16 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,122 Posts

“There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-24-2013, 07:35 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 282 Posts

I always dress as well, but not just for safety. I also believe that if you are going to race in the heat (and I do) then you should practice in the heat. Helps get the mind and body acclimated to the conditions so you are better able to perform when it counts.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Glen
Race Car

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
I always dress as well, but not just for safety. I also believe that if you are going to race in the heat (and I do) then you should practice in the heat. Helps get the mind and body acclimated to the conditions so you are better able to perform when it counts.
Good point Rob!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:56 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

yep, Even in the summer, all the gear, all the time.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I wear all of my full race gear whenever I get into a client's car, either to drive or ride, no matter what the car. Full nomex, balaclava, hans, shoes, etc.
When coaches ride with me they always double or triple up on safety gear. Should I be concerned?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:18 AM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

This is the reason I will not instruct, I am asked many time to help out instructing, but it scares the **** out of me to get in a car at the track without proper harnesses and roll cage. It amazes me that people are alowed at a track like Road America without a proper seat and harnesses.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:08 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by scott40
+1. I always found it strange at some of the DE's I've done in the past. Long sleeves in the am, but in the afternoon when it's hot, everyone was allowed to wear short sleeves. I never understood that.
i never understood the long sleeve thing unless it was nomex for fire safety. i found another reason a few weeks ago at road atlanta: side air bags. superficial, but MAN that thing shredded me up.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:21 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Is cotton underwear under a 3 layer Nomex suit a big no-no, safety wise?
Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 AM
gomez1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Is cotton underwear under a 3 layer Nomex suit a big no-no, safety wise?
Nothing is on my body that is not Nomex. Socks and underwear included.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gomez1
Nothing is on my body that is not Nomex. Socks and underwear included.
Have there been examples of burns due to cotton under Nomex? Could cotton even theoretically catch fire under a Nomex suit? Serious questions.

In the other safety thread there was a link to an interesting article about racing deaths and safety. It claimed that deaths by fire have been all but eliminated by advances in car design, especially in modern street cars. Two of the racing deaths last week were by heart-attack. I raised the question about whether the high heat in a poorly ventillated Nomex-clad body could increase heart-attack risk.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 AM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Have there been examples of burns due to cotton under Nomex? Could cotton even theoretically catch fire under a Nomex suit? Serious questions.
I've wondered the same thing, but haven't found any clarification either way.

Quick Reply: Dress for bear