Sponsored by:

Tow Vehicle Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
YES, and i park indoors. you DONT want to know my monthly parking fee. probably can buy an RS.

liberals? i dont really understand politics and dont keep track who's the president, last one i know was kennedy or was it lincoln. i learned that in school. i must be the only one in CA who give absolutely no regard to the environment and 100% against recyclnig... long story, pls dont get me started.

let's get back to giant american diesel trucks.
i heard many ppl say they can tow this or that with SUV and feel like nothing is behind them. i find that strange. i tow with a big diesel and i feel i have a space shuttle behind me. if GMC made a 10L pick up.......
Every time you post, I like you all the more.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:52 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
YES, and i park indoors. you DONT want to know my monthly parking fee. probably can buy an RS.

liberals? i dont really understand politics and dont keep track who's the president, last one i know was kennedy or was it lincoln. i learned that in school. i must be the only one in CA who give absolutely no regard to the environment and 100% against recyclnig... long story, pls dont get me started.

let's get back to giant american diesel trucks.
i heard many ppl say they can tow this or that with SUV and feel like nothing is behind them. i find that strange. i tow with a big diesel and i feel i have a space shuttle behind me. if GMC made a 10L pick up.......

Gee my Cayenne tows like there is nothing back there hahaha
Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Don't delude yourself into believing a ½ ton pickup is going to be safe or durable enough to tow an enclosed trailer.
½ tons have smaller axles, brakes, transmissions, etc. etc. etc. They are fine for pulling a utility trailer. An open trailer with car will push that size truck. Tail wags the dog. ¾ ton, long wheelbase is the minimum safe towing vehicle.

I towed an open trailer a lot with a Toyota. White knuckle ride. You have to be lucky and plan wayyyyy ahead to avoid any need for sudden stops. Never had anything happen with the Toyota, but shortly after getting the dully I had occasion to make a panic stop and evasive action to avoid clobbering an idiot who felt he could challenge a truck. In the Toyota I would have collected him and we both would have been smoldering inside piles of crushed metal.

Think about your children before making a final decision.
+1

You can tow with a smaller tow vehicle and finish the job 99.99% of the time. It's the 0.01% times when having a larger one pays off. Think of it as an insurance policy.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:41 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
true. I know damn well there's 7,000+ pounds of car and trailer behind my Jeep...
What Jeep has a 7000lb towing capacity? The most I ever saw was 5000.

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Don't delude yourself into believing a ½ ton pickup is going to be safe or durable enough to tow an enclosed trailer.
½ tons have smaller axles, brakes, transmissions, etc. etc. etc. They are fine for pulling a utility trailer. An open trailer with car will push that size truck. Tail wags the dog. ¾ ton, long wheelbase is the minimum safe towing vehicle.

I towed an open trailer a lot with a Toyota. White knuckle ride. You have to be lucky and plan wayyyyy ahead to avoid any need for sudden stops. Never had anything happen with the Toyota, but shortly after getting the dully I had occasion to make a panic stop and evasive action to avoid clobbering an idiot who felt he could challenge a truck. In the Toyota I would have collected him and we both would have been smoldering inside piles of crushed metal.

Think about your children before making a final decision.
If your brakes are working on your trailer, panic stops should not be an issue. If you only have one axle braking that might be an issue for you.

If you would have been smouldering piles of metal in the Toyota, you need to hand in your drivers license. I have towed the 7700lb boat with the trailer with 1/2 tons since 2001. The Treg feels smoother and has less handling issues (and the side profile on this thing makes your enclosed trailer look like a sheet of paper.)

Originally Posted by scott40
Gee my Cayenne tows like there is nothing back there hahaha
Never a white knuckle moment in the Treg yet, including several panic stops.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I prefer Dodge Cummins wit the six speed auto selectospeed trans. I have both a Dodge Cummins and a Chevy Duramax...Chevy rides nicer Dodge pulls and stops better.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:17 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
What Jeep has a 7000lb towing capacity? The most I ever saw was 5000.
new Grand Cherokees with the V8. 7400 pounds
Old 06-19-2013, 11:31 PM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is that anyone who thinks you can't tow with anything less than a 3/4 ton American pickup has never tried a quality German SUV.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:57 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on actual experience of a cohort - I would stay away from 2004 cayenne turbo pulling open trailer with a c2s over mountain passes
Old 06-20-2013, 12:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
My guess is that anyone who thinks you can't tow with anything less than a 3/4 ton American pickup has never tried a quality German SUV.
towed with pepper turbo, pepper gts, pepper diesel and x5 diesel. i think my trailer too heavy that's the 20'. to each his own.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:58 AM
DC640
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have x5 50i - 450 torque... Fine for open trailer up to steel... If u are towing anything more... Just get an gmc/chevy dually and call it a day. Future proof and Damn powerful. I'm heading that route as soon as lease is up on my x5 w enclosed.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
SoClose
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
+1

You can tow with a smaller tow vehicle and finish the job 99.99% of the time. It's the 0.01% times when having a larger one pays off. Think of it as an insurance policy.
Now here's someone that knows what he's speaking about.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:23 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Just got my third (time's a charm) 2500 Suburban/YukonXL. Higher miles and much cheaper than most, so an opportunity to uprate the engine, (LQ4 blocks are great for builds - stroker cranks are cheap), and make the 4L80E a beast.

Its just so much more enjoyable for a long journey to have a long wheel base big truck to pull.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:51 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Ford F250. 6.7 Liter 400 hp and 800 ft-lbs torque. I placed helper air springs in the rear to help level the truck under load. I tow a 26-ft enclosed trailer at 70 mph with 14 to 16 mpg depending on the terrain. I live in southern Texas which is fairly flat as it is a costal plain. Most of the newer tow vehicles will have 6 speed transmissions which really helps the fuel mileage. Dodge and GM will have 3/4 tons with similar numbers. I pulled my 18-ft steel open trailer with my F150 with no problems and had worse mpg.

While there are many people on this board who have successfully pulled trailers with SUVs I did not go that route. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks were specifically designed to tow trailers, either 5th wheel or tag. SUVs are good all round purpose vehicles but they are more biased to being people movers rather than tow vehicles. One of the big disadvantages of the SUV is the tire, it has a relatively flexibible wall for a smoother ride vs a heavier walled truck tire. The tire wall stiffness is all about trailer sway. the stiffer the tire wall the more resistant to sway it is. This is one of the reasons that larger tow vehicles use dual rear tires.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:59 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
And you're guess would be wrong.

There are members who have towed both with a "quality German SUV" and a full framed cold rolled steel American tow vehicle.

There's nothing like tow vehicles, oil viscosity and H&N restraint discussions.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Ford F250. 6.7 Liter 400 hp and 800 ft-lbs torque. I placed helper air springs in the rear to help level the truck under load. I tow a 26-ft enclosed trailer at 70 mph with 14 to 16 mpg depending on the terrain. I live in southern Texas which is fairly flat as it is a costal plain. Most of the newer tow vehicles will have 6 speed transmissions which really helps the fuel mileage. Dodge and GM will have 3/4 tons with similar numbers. I pulled my 18-ft steel open trailer with my F150 with no problems and had worse mpg.

While there are many people on this board who have successfully pulled trailers with SUVs I did not go that route. The 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks were specifically designed to tow trailers, either 5th wheel or tag. SUVs are good all round purpose vehicles but they are more biased to being people movers rather than tow vehicles. One of the big disadvantages of the SUV is the tire, it has a relatively flexibible wall for a smoother ride vs a heavier walled truck tire. The tire wall stiffness is all about trailer sway. the stiffer the tire wall the more resistant to sway it is. This is one of the reasons that larger tow vehicles use dual rear tires.
Thanks. These are the different points of view I wanted to get.

Quick Reply: Tow Vehicle Recommendations