Sponsored by:

997 Turbo - HANS Setup - Removable Harness Bar, Lid + Belts

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 AM
Sayajin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Turbo - HANS Setup - Removable Harness Bar, Lid + Belts

I have a 2008 911 Turbo and am looking to do a HANS setup utilizing my stock seats. I daily drive my 911 so I dont want to put dedicated racing seats in the car, however I do about 2 HPDE events a month so I want to do something to increase safety as well as keeping me grounded in my seat for better driving. A friend of mine expressed how much of a difference the equipment would make and said he believes there are some 997 specific ones so I was hoping you guys would know.

I am looking for a removable harness bar that works with stock seats, HANS specific belts, and recommendations on a Lid to get with a HANS tether.

Any help that you guys can recommend would be greatly appreciated! Like I said above, I daily drive mine so having something that is removable is a big deal to me. Thanks!

-Sayajin
Old 06-04-2013, 02:38 AM
DanR
Drifting

Hi

Pretty sure that (unless you have the factory bucket seat option) that a Hans won't work as you will not be able to maintain the belts in the correct position. Something like the R3 can be made to work with stock seats and belts

http://www.ogracing.com/driver/head-and-neck-restraints see R3 system
Old 06-04-2013, 11:04 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO - don't use a harness setup without a minimum of a half cage. Bad things can happen when seats can't collapse if the roof fails. Just depends on the risks you are willing to take.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I am not familiar with the type of seats you have, but if they won't work with a racing-style restraint system then they won't work with a HANS device.

If they will work with, for example, a six-point racing harness system, then you can use a HANS. In this case a harness bar, roll bar or roll cage are all feasible. Yes even a harness bar.

They key is to have the horizontal bar for the shoulder belt atytachment at the proper height for the driver and the seat. This insures that the HANS device/shoulder belt geometry is within the HANS specs, which is very important.

I bought my HANS device from HMS Motorsports in Peabody, Mass. And I buy my Schroth harnesses from them. Joe Marko at HMS is an expert and very helpful.

I am sure the folks at OG Racing could provide guidance as well.

Good luck.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The HANS is a great device and you are smart to think about using it. However, to echo what others have already said, I wouldn't use a HANS unless your seats are made to work with a harness AND you have a roll bar (at least half a cage). The HANS won't work properly unless you have the right kind of seat. If you have the right seat but don't have a roll bar, you are trading one type of safety benefit (the HANS) for another safety risk (getting your neck crushed if the car rolls over).
Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Sayajin
Advanced

Thanks for the input guys. Let me also clarify a few things as it should help.

I realize that I cant put a HANS complete setup in the car the way things currently are, I plan to gradually increase the safety items to get them to the point where I am satisfied, however I want to buy the right items (HANS Capable) up front instead of buying something now, throwing it away and buying something else. You will notice that a HANS head and neck restraint were not listed.

What I really want at this point is a removable harness bar that works with a 4 point harness using the stock seats. I will also buy a new helmet that has a hans tether built in. After that, I will worry about roll bars, 6 point harnesses, racing seats, and HANS head and neck restraints.

I dont know if this makes a difference in the info stated above, but if it does, do they make a removable harness bar that works with a 4 point harness and the stock seats?

Thanks!

-Sayajin
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayajin
Thanks for the input guys. Let me also clarify a few things as it should help.

I realize that I cant put a HANS complete setup in the car the way things currently are, I plan to gradually increase the safety items to get them to the point where I am satisfied, however I want to buy the right items (HANS Capable) up front instead of buying something now, throwing it away and buying something else. You will notice that a HANS head and neck restraint were not listed.

What I really want at this point is a removable harness bar that works with a 4 point harness using the stock seats. I will also buy a new helmet that has a hans tether built in. After that, I will worry about roll bars, 6 point harnesses, racing seats, and HANS head and neck restraints.

I dont know if this makes a difference in the info stated above, but if it does, do they make a removable harness bar that works with a 4 point harness and the stock seats?

Thanks!

-Sayajin
PCA will not allow you to run in a DE with 4-point harnesses unless they are built specifically for your car. I don't know if other organizations allow it. I personally will not ride in a car with 4-points. I've done it in the past and never trusted the damn things. Others will no doubt tell me there's nothing to worry about, but as an instructor I have the right to refuse to ride if I'm not comfortable with the safety equipment, and 4-point belts is one place where I draw the line.

My advice would be to stick with three point belts and get a head and neck device that is compatible with them for now. You may ultimately find that you want a different vehicle for the track than what you are using right now anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:05 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

save your money and buy all at once. the items work as a unit.

Race seat
harness
hans
half cage (roll bar)

removable harness bars are a liability on the track and barely acceptable for auto-cross.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Sayajin
Advanced

Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it. Sounds like I just need to wait for most of the stuff.

One question I do have is, short of changing out my seats to racing seats, is there any way to keep from "sliding" in my seats while tracking? That was one of the main reasons I was told to look at a 4pt harness. Thanks!

-Sayajin

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo - HANS Setup - Removable Harness Bar, Lid + Belts