Sponsored by:

Harry's + Go Pro Integration?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 01:20 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Harry's + Go Pro Integration?

I've been digging thru this site but haven't found the answer to (what I believe is) a simple question: Is it possible to overlay data from Harry's LapTimer (Grand Prix edition) on video from a GoPro camera?

Specifics: I'm using three GoPros ... 2 original Heros and 1 Hero2 w/ wifi bacpac & remote. I'm assuming that of these, the newer Hero2 is more likely to work.

Phone is an iPhone 4, with an Emprum Ultimate GPS dongle and a GoPoint bluetooth OBD II reader.

I shoot video with all 3 GoPros, then edit together. I'm hoping to overlay my Harry's data onto the video from the Hero2 w/ wifi & remote ... it's my "master shot" looking over my shoulder from a rollbar mount.

Can this be done? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:34 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

TrackVision would be the best bet for doing this. Not sure if they support that logger though.

www.trackvision.net
Old 04-22-2013, 09:11 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,769 Posts

TrackVision, Dashware and Race Render will all do this, AFTER you combine the videos on iMovie, Vegas or Premier, then export the data from HLT on .csv for import to the former for integration into the overlay....

Massive PITA for three cameras, marginal PITA for one.

Best suited for a "highlight reel" compilation, IMO.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by 996_C4S
I've been digging thru this site but haven't found the answer to (what I believe is) a simple question: Is it possible to overlay data from Harry's LapTimer (Grand Prix edition) on video from a GoPro camera?
The new version of HLT, V17, allows pic in pic in addition to the substitution of GoPro in place of the iPhone video. However, integrating GoPro video is still a PITA. Harry has provided info on his forum and this link is a good place to start http://www.gps-laptimer-forum.de/vie...hp?f=11&t=1207. Dave
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 AM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The short answer is yes, you can use the aforementioned software to sync up your video and data and output a merged video.

In my case, I have two cameras and an AiM Solo DL. I use Adobe Premiere Elements to edit video and accomplish the picture-in-picture, and then TrackVision to sync up/overlay the data. It is indeed a large PITA. As mentioned above, it's really only worth it for particularly interesting laps/sessions. Honestly, if I did it again, I think using HLT and its integrated video is the best effort/benefit tradeoff as long as you get good GPS data. But of course it's not really easy to capture a good angle with that.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,015 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Originally Posted by TrickyPorpoise
The short answer is yes, you can use the aforementioned software to sync up your video and data and output a merged video.

Honestly, if I did it again, I think using HLT and its integrated video is the best effort/benefit tradeoff as long as you get good GPS data.
^^This^^
Old 04-23-2013, 01:39 AM
996_C4S
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, everybody. This doesn't look to be any more complicated or expensive than any other aspect of this hobby :-). I'll (try to) keep it simple!
Old 04-23-2013, 01:50 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be interested in using the gopro2 as the primary and only video device then syncing offline. Harry said that comes with the next version (18).

In the meantime my switch from iPhone4 to 5 really helped with video quality. I just need to move the phone out of the blind spot to get a clear sat signal for GPS then I can get accurate speeds.

http://youtu.be/vWs4DUcYzQY
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Misdirection
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
I just need to move the phone out of the blind spot to get a clear sat signal for GPS then I can get accurate speeds.
There are numerous external/bluetooth GPS devices that will help with that greatly for a very reasonable cost. Check HLT's site for information on specific models:

http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Compatibility.html
Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
I just need to move the phone out of the blind spot to get a clear sat signal for GPS then I can get accurate speeds.
Check out this video if you think you'll be getting accurate speeds.

Quick Reply: Harry's + Go Pro Integration?