Rookie race at new track - Xbox help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 04:48 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,153 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by certz
I am also going to the Glen for the first time.

I also have a buddy with iRacing and he is going to let me use his sim - check with your friends maybe someone has a setup.
Yes, what I do with folks who have a sim or access to a sim with iRacing is have them practice an hour or two (so they can do a lap and not crash) and then I arrange a private hosted session online.

For three hours, we first stop at each corner (do a virtual track walk) and I ask you to look at certain permanent landmarks, low, middle and high and we talk about lateral placement on the track at any given point. Then, you ride with me while we talk, then we do a little lead/follow. It works great.

I wrote the Road America lap in the Grassroots "Great Tracks" article, but could have done any of them.

Best, Peter
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-05-2013, 05:11 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QUOTE=mrbill_fl;10362418]mby try roebling road?

not that far from ATL... fast, but not too hard to pickup.... (w scca/pboc/nasa)[/QUOTE]

Hit up RRR last year in February. First time I started out solo on a new track - and they had me instructing too :eek Very different from Road Atlanta. I'm going to Atlanta Motorsports Park in a couple of weeks, as well, as much to shake out the car as anything else.

I'm going to elaborate on my goal a little bit. I'm just wanted to get by the damn rookie thing. I pulled a Roberto Guerrero last year, which kept me from racing, and this year, I blew the rear main seal out of the engine. I obviously don't want to be the proverbial rolling chicane, but any delusions of grandeur just ain't there.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:36 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I think spending time on a good sim is invaluable Iracing, Forza, in getting to know the track. I'd spend the time in front of a PC getting a lay of the land rather than my first two sessions on the track. Some are remarkably accurate, and once on the track you can easily recall what you picked up from the sim. You can pick up the basic line, but slip angle and exact apexes are better seen in a good on track video.

All of this really helps building your confidence stepping into a new track. Just learning the corners is invaluable in the drivers meeting talking about track conditions, flagging, pit in etc...
Old 04-05-2013, 09:13 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I used Forza to learn the Nordschleife, it really helped me when I drove there.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
Yes, what I do with folks who have a sim or access to a sim with iRacing is have them practice an hour or two (so they can do a lap and not crash) and then I arrange a private hosted session online.

For three hours, we first stop at each corner (do a virtual track walk) and I ask you to look at certain permanent landmarks, low, middle and high and we talk about lateral placement on the track at any given point. Then, you ride with me while we talk, then we do a little lead/follow. It works great.

I wrote the Road America lap in the Grassroots "Great Tracks" article, but could have done any of them.

Best, Peter

Peter,
That is all done virtually? Very cool. Going to keep you in mind...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by scott40
Peter,
That is all done virtually? Very cool. Going to keep you in mind...
Yes, Scott. All done with you at your location and me at mine. Using headsets set up and tested before the appointment, then using cars and tracks that we both have (I have every car and every track), I set up a private session called "Watkins Glen Private Coaching" or (wherever we are working) under my name. I give you the password and we are on! I usually set it for three hours, my minimum charge, and it works like a charm.

Biggest variable are people's equipment. iRacing is automatically self-scaling on the graphics detail level. If you have a high-zoot machine (like I do), you can see the antenna a mile and a half away to line up for the Keyhole at Mid-Ohio on the Club Course, the PA speaker on the pole lining up for Bishops coming out of Tower Turn at Sebring and the transformer on the pole by the bathroom lining up the entry of Turn 5 at Road Atlanta. It's incredible!

Whatever your computer level, we can get a LOT done in one appointment.

I do this with remote data and video, too.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,000 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Before I go to a track I usually pull it up on youtube and play it all day long while I am on confernce calls at work.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:47 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, Scott. All done with you at your location and me at mine. Using headsets set up and tested before the appointment, then using cars and tracks that we both have (I have every car and every track), I set up a private session called "Watkins Glen Private Coaching" or (wherever we are working) under my name. I give you the password and we are on! I usually set it for three hours, my minimum charge, and it works like a charm.

Biggest variable are people's equipment. iRacing is automatically self-scaling on the graphics detail level. If you have a high-zoot machine (like I do), you can see the antenna a mile and a half away to line up for the Keyhole at Mid-Ohio on the Club Course, the PA speaker on the pole lining up for Bishops coming out of Tower Turn at Sebring and the transformer on the pole by the bathroom lining up the entry of Turn 5 at Road Atlanta. It's incredible!

Whatever your computer level, we can get a LOT done in one appointment.

I do this with remote data and video, too.
That sounds awesome. One of the things I watched very closely when watching Larry's laps was car placement - as obviously my 993 is not the same as a 996 cup and there will be plenty of difference between speed and handling characteristics. I had previously watched other videos of 993's and they were all over the place not only between the different drivers but lap after lap - Larry is consistent with his line lap after lap.

I have already setup a day with Dave on Wednesday before the club race but might be interested in this type of instruction as well. My biggest issue would be "reserving" time on my buddies machine
Old 04-06-2013, 01:00 AM
944hal
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video and sims can help with knowing whether to turn left or right. However, my experience with new tracks is they never drive they way they look on video. Coaching is great with regard to visuals and positioning, especially if the coach drives a similar car. Take is easy the first couple of times out, even if you need to follow a more experienced, but slower class driver. It's not the straight speed that's important, but corner entry and exit. A veteran in a slower class can be a great pathfinder.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 AM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WG doesn't have the blind stuff that Road Atlanta has. Generally you can see where the road is going. A straight followed by a turn for the most part. Turn 9 might be the only turn that you can't really see through. WG is a great track, wide, fast, and fun. Good luck!
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iRacing and Project C.A.R.S.-WMD have great replicas of the Glen.
Sorry for a dumb question, but when I look at iRacing, I am left with the impression that it is more of a competition like thing, meaning I can't just plug in and run the track any time I want. Am I mistaken? I'd probably be stuck using it late at night, after 67Prince, 67Princesses, and 67Queen are all in bed. Can I just do an open track?

I am signed up for 2 days of DE's, but if I can get a little visibility beforehand, I might like to.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Sorry for a dumb question, but when I look at iRacing, I am left with the impression that it is more of a competition like thing, meaning I can't just plug in and run the track any time I want. Am I mistaken? I'd probably be stuck using it late at night, after 67Prince, 67Princesses, and 67Queen are all in bed. Can I just do an open track?

I am signed up for 2 days of DE's, but if I can get a little visibility beforehand, I might like to.
You can run laps to your hearts content with no one on the track with you. If you want to practice/qual/race with other people there are people running 24/7 from all over the world so you will be alone only if you choose to be.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 67King

Yes, you can. This is what I do 99% of the time.

Select the track, select the car and select "Test" next to "Race" on the top right hand side of the home screen. Any time, as long as you want.

Quick Reply: Rookie race at new track - Xbox help?