Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rookie race at new track - Xbox help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 01:16 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rookie race at new track - Xbox help?

Feel dumb asking this, but I've now failed at two attempts to do my rookie race at my home track, Road Atlanta, that have ended in a broken car. I've no desire to wait another year. I'm shooting for making Watkins Glen. I've never been there.

I don't do video games. Don't like them, and was pretty grumpy when my kids got an XBox for Christmas.

But now that I have it, would I benefit from trying to do a game to learn the track? And if so, what games (without spending stupid money)? I've seen something called Forza, but I didn't see Watkins Glen listed on the track list. Anyone know of a game, preferably that has been out a while, that will have the Glen on it? Even better if it lets you pick momentum cars.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Games will help. Also, there are a TON of Glen race videos out there...
Old 04-05-2013, 01:55 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Forza can help a lot. Before my first trip to Sebring I spent a far amount of time on the game and followed track notes from VR while playing. I was immediately fast out of the gate, though the other newbies to the track certainly closed the gap on me as the weekend progressed. Immediately felt comfortable there and knew where I was, that's for sure.

Road Atlanta was less successful. The game does not do a good job with T12 or T2-T4. Elevation changes expose the weakness in the game. I at least knew if a right or left was coming, but I admit I also drove into pit lane twice by accident after cresting the hill before 12.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Do you have a fairly modern computer? Unless you plan on using the toy controller the console games come with you will need to buy a wheel either way. I *believe* the Logitech G27 will work with the XBox and of course a PC, so all you would need to do is see if iRacing will run on your PC. Join it for one month and pick a car that comes with it like the MX5 Cup to run. You can't do better for track accuracy than iRacing and the car models physics are pretty good (way better than any console game).. A new G27 wheel/pedal set is under $300, you may find a G25 (previous model) or G27 used also.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
cds4402
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 71 Posts

Forza helped me out a lot before I did Sebring for the first time.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:13 PM
element
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

When I went to Laguna Seca I found playing the game after spending time on the actual track helped event more! I was using the real track line and knew where the elevation\camber in the track was hiding and could use it more. Corkscrew is also easier if you do what you do in real life. Learning which direction the track goes is what I picked up, but everything else needed the real world. A track walk is also a must if you really want to know how the surface flows. laguna is NOT flat! EVER! and before walking it youd think there was less camber out there.. driving it after the track walk was a much different experience.

Have fun!

phil.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

They are helpful, but I didn't find WGI in any of my son's games which includes all the Forzas.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:23 PM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

You are right, Watkins Glen isn't in any of the Forza games.

Looks like your only choice on xbox would be the nascar games, there are a few from the last few years on amazon for $20-40. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=nascar%20xbox

Looks like 2 of the PC based sims, iRacing and Simraceway, feature watkins glen. Simraceway is free to download, includes all tracks & 1 car (Evo X IIRC), so you could in theory learn that track without spending any money out of pocket.

I don't have any experience with any of the above games/sims, but I do know (actually, work in) games. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,873 Posts

iRacing and Project C.A.R.S.-WMD have great replicas of the Glen. Both are PC only.

It's worth it for the reasons jakermc, cds4402 and element point out.

I use them all the time to help bring people up to speed (the order and severity of the corners) and make those that know the tracks better at them.

Road Atlanta in Forza is terrible in the T2-T4 area, as pointed out. No sense of climb or crest. Much better in other, "laser scanned" versions that replicate the scanned data. Forza has a good Sebring and GT5 has a great Laguna Seca. Bob Earl uses that all the time to help his clients at LSR.

Good luck!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-05-2013, 03:03 PM
67King
Race Car

Thanks for all of the feedback. Not looking to get into the whole sim thing, just want to try to learn anything I can. Have watched some videos, Van has a few posted, but I think I'll learn more if I'm a little more involved. Plus the elevation changes aren't as easy to see conceptualize in videos. NASCAR wouldn't be my preference, but I'll take it. Looks like downloading Simraceway should be step #1. I've read several things on how to drive it (there was recently a writeup in GRM on several tracks, WGI included), I'm hoping to combine that with some sort of simulator to get a better feel for it. IIRC, there are not wasted corners, which helps - I was a mess at Roebling the first time I tried to drive it due in part to that, the other due to the LLLOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG turns.

cds4402, you win for best avatar. You might appreciate my car's livery:
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2013, 03:06 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Download track video, there's a ton of it out there. Watch it with KP. Sign up for the Niagara Region DE the Monday and Tuesday before the Club Race.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
Download track video, there's a ton of it out there. Watch it with KP. Sign up for the Niagara Region DE the Monday and Tuesday before the Club Race.
+1. I am available for in car coaching that Monday, and will already be at the Glen. Booked at the Glen on that Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdsay...
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I am also going to the Glen for the first time. I have watched a lot of YouTube video and specifically video of 993's driving the course - there are also plenty of 944 videos out there also. If you want to see someone really smooth, watch Larry Herman in a 996 Cup - http://player.vimeo.com/video/27165734 - from what I can tell really nice lines (again I have not been there, though).

I also have a buddy with iRacing and he is going to let me use his sim - check with your friends maybe someone has a setup.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM
67King
Race Car

Originally Posted by chartersb
All very good ideas, and I definately plan to bend KP's ear. What I had not thought about what asking him to dissect the track while watching some video. Not sure if the DE would work due to a family and business, but he had mentioned that to me even before my issues at Road Atlanta last month.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

mby try roebling road?

not that far from ATL... fast, but not too hard to pickup.... (w scca/pboc/nasa)

Quick Reply: Rookie race at new track - Xbox help?