Sponsored by:

New RSR unveiled in France today

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
I feel this is the biggest improvement on this car compared to the 997. It was rumored the Cup would have the front wishbones, but perhaps that will come in later years. I have to think for homologation purposes, the GT3 RS street version will also have wishbone front.

It is my understanding that its been the front strut, rather than the rear-engine, (and to a lesser extent, the steel chassis) that has been the reason the RSR has fallen behind its competitors. The Cayman uses struts on the front AND rear, so it has not been a usable platform. If the front can be switched to wishbone, then it stands to reason the rear can as well. If I understand the homologation process, then there would have to be a street Cayman with the front and rear wishbones, and I doubt that is part of Porsche's business model.
I'm not sure they can/will make that change. Its a big geometry change for the street car that they will have to reengineer completely (wider range of motion than in race car (bump steer, turn radius, etc.), plus it takes away a good amount of the front boot space (or they will have to make it as wide as a Ferrari up front, which does away with the daily practicality of the 911)
Old 04-01-2013, 06:53 AM
993GT2
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at the Le Castellet official tests, the new 911RSR is almost 1 sec. quicker than last year's 997 GT3 RSR!

I hope that the new car will be reliable to withstand the 24 Hours with ease.

http://917burger.blogspot.com.br/201...-rsr-2013.html
Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Is the Manthey lineup for this year a preview of 6 of the factory's 9 drivers for next year's LMP1
Would think that Timo and Romain will move to the LMP1 based on their Audi experience. Would expect some outside talent like Nick Heidfeld will be recruited in for the LMP1 duties. Maybe with the issues at RedBull and the limited number of top drives in F1, Mark Weber could be recruited in?
Old 04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgomez
I'm not sure they can/will make that change. Its a big geometry change for the street car that they will have to reengineer completely (wider range of motion than in race car (bump steer, turn radius, etc.), plus it takes away a good amount of the front boot space (or they will have to make it as wide as a Ferrari up front, which does away with the daily practicality of the 911)
Indeed. If it was easy, it would have been done on the 996 or 997 RSR. I wouldn't suggest it practical in the carrera, turbo or even 'base' GT3, but I have to think it would be a welcome trade-off (wishbones in exchange for a trunk, and potentially less steering-lock) in the RS models.

Quick Reply: New RSR unveiled in France today