Sponsored by:

Replay hardwire instructions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replay hardwire instructions?

I've looked at the online "instructions" which are pitiful. (http://www.replayxd.com/downloads/us...4_Wire_Kit.pdf) And it came with nothing... just a cord in a plastic bag.

I hooked up the red (power) and black (ground) wires. The green and white wires appeared "optional." I went down to Atlanta and it didn't record a single thing.

Does anyone know how to properly install and use this thing? Thanks-
Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 909 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
I've looked at the online "instructions" which are pitiful. (http://www.replayxd.com/downloads/us...4_Wire_Kit.pdf) And it came with nothing... just a cord in a plastic bag.

I hooked up the red (power) and black (ground) wires. The green and white wires appeared "optional." I went down to Atlanta and it didn't record a single thing.

Does anyone know how to properly install and use this thing? Thanks-
I hated the Replay XD1080 "Hardwire Start Stop Kit". I removed that enigma from my race car and used the "Hardwire Car Adapter" instead.

One of the neat features of the Replay XD1080 is that you can set it up to start recording as soon as power is applied and turn off one minute after power is removed. I wired the "Hardwire Car Adapter" into the 12v system with a switch to supply and remove power. Power is only available with the ignition switch on.

Now all I have to do is push a switch button on the dash to start recording. Once power is removed from the camera, either by pushing a button or switching off the ignition, the camera tuns off after one minute.

You could use a USB cable instead of the "Hardwire Car Adapter".

As a side note, I found a soft-latch push button switch that makes life even better. If the ignition is turned off, the soft-latch switch is off when the ignition is turned on regardless of its state when power was removed. This is nice because I don't have to remember to switch off the camera switch. Shutting off the ignition takes care of it.

Scott
Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

I just put the same camera/kit in my race car. Didn't record a single session at the Sebring club race either I spoke with Mark from OG Racing and he said he had seen it before. He said 2 things needed to be done.

1) Must be a clean power source. I had tapped mine into the unused cigerette lighter power. I reran the wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse

2) Make sure to update the camera to the latest firmware.

I'm taking the car out for the first time since the race next weekend, so will see if it fixed the problem. But at least in the garage, the camera turns off/on and records correctly, so I think it should work.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winders
I hated the Replay XD1080 "Hardwire Start Stop Kit". I removed that enigma from my race car and used the "Hardwire Car Adapter" instead.

One of the neat features of the Replay XD1080 is that you can set it up to start recording as soon as power is applied and turn off one minute after power is removed. I wired the "Hardwire Car Adapter" into the 12v system with a switch to supply and remove power. Power is only available with the ignition switch on.

Now all I have to do is push a switch button on the dash to start recording. Once power is removed from the camera, either by pushing a button or switching off the ignition, the camera tuns off after one minute.

You could use a USB cable instead of the "Hardwire Car Adapter".

As a side note, I found a soft-latch push button switch that makes life even better. If the ignition is turned off, the soft-latch switch is off when the ignition is turned on regardless of its state when power was removed. This is nice because I don't have to remember to switch off the camera switch. Shutting off the ignition takes care of it.

Scott
Thanks a lot, Scott. That sounds like a great alternative.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmag
I just put the same camera/kit in my race car. Didn't record a single session at the Sebring club race either I spoke with Mark from OG Racing and he said he had seen it before. He said 2 things needed to be done.

1) Must be a clean power source. I had tapped mine into the unused cigerette lighter power. I reran the wire directly to the battery with an inline fuse

2) Make sure to update the camera to the latest firmware.

I'm taking the car out for the first time since the race next weekend, so will see if it fixed the problem. But at least in the garage, the camera turns off/on and records correctly, so I think it should work.
Thanks Ryan. Glad to know I'm not the only one with issues (along with Scott).

Did you have the out of date firmware at Sebring?
Old 03-28-2013, 11:04 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,293 Likes on 1,873 Posts

What is it? .47 or .48?
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Thanks Ryan. Glad to know I'm not the only one with issues (along with Scott).

Did you have the out of date firmware at Sebring?
I can't recall if it was or wasn't. I just downloaded the latest and installed it.

Originally Posted by ProCoach
What is it? .47 or .48?
.49 was released about a month ago. Have not installed it yet
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 4 wire kit and it works just fine. I have not yet wired in the triggered start/stop (the white and green wires) but that's on the list of things to get done. My cars wiring system is pretty simple and I just have a toggle switch (fused and to battery) on the dash to power the camera.

Quick Reply: Replay hardwire instructions?