Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SP3 vs GT5S

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed Lou! Looking forward to again see you and everyone while at COTA. Nonetheless, I am bracing to "pay my dues" back to the GT5S 911 crowd! I think I used up all my luck at Daytona May have to do the rain dance again Too bad I missed Sebring... but my car is still in pieces in my garage. COTA may end up being my first outing of the Season... one hell of a tow for a test weekend!

On the GT front, all said and done, the racers (and crews) are a a fantastick bunch. Great guys to share the track. Plus the challenge, I hope, has made me a little better driver and has given me the motivation to continue finding what little extra power or aero edge I can within my platform....
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 PM
67King
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astroman
He has a former E class car that has a 968 motor and S2 body work. PCA told him last year it has to be fully one or the other for Stock class (which makes sense).

Seems to me SP3 is the best place for his "partially converted" car racing at 2900 lbs with driver.
Did a little digging on 44Cup.com. It appears that this car would not be legal in SP3 regardless. http://forum.44cup.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=665

FWIW, among the reasons I was looking are that I was considering simplifying my turbo, and since I'm very close to making weight, dropping all of the way down to 2550 and running as a 944S. It appears that won't be legal.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM
Steward B.
Rennlist Member

Ned, the intent of the change several years ago to have GT cars classed by theoretical HP to weight was to encourage cars running in the vintage groups to run with PCA. IMHO it is working well come join us
Old 03-27-2013, 11:54 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by ned911
GT classes have weight rules now? Thought it was strictly engine displacement. Been a number of years since I've race PCA as a 911 built for vintage racing is a bit out of place.
I race my vintage 2 liter quite successfully. Come on out!
Old 03-28-2013, 01:21 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
I race my vintage 2 liter quite successfully. Come on out!
It's a trap! It's a trap! That is an abusive little car/driver combo!!!!! BTW... RJ ok?

GT5S is definitely looking stronger than SP3 at COTA. I am a little surprised to see the low SP3 car count.

Lou! Awesome you are running GT5! We now have two teams/camps in class!! Wohoo! Too bad we can't bump-draft in PCA... we certainly could use some extra speed in those straights at COTA so the 911s don't buffet us too much as they fly by! I better start getting my car finished soon....
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM
ned911
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Trust me I'm dying to be at my home track but unemployment tends to be a huge barrier to track time. Hoping to have that resolved soon.

Just to date when I last ran a Club Race - I still have I class markings from when I had a T motor.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
It's a trap! It's a trap! That is an abusive little car/driver combo!!!!! BTW... RJ ...[/I]
Its not a trap... I have never gone faster than 2:06 at Daytona or 2:25 at Sebring.... On my GT6S car....

RJ is doing great, thanks for asking. We are trying to figure out what is next.

What is next for you?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:30 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

LOL.... 2:06 and 2:25.... soooo slooooooowww! Not!

Glad to hear... Did not see his name terrorizing GT5S at Sebring and RA (& COTA) so wanted to make sure all is goowd... Not sure here either. Need to focus on a professional/business transition I am undertaking which is primary focus. Stretched thin with time...
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 67King
Did a little digging on 44Cup.com. It appears that this car would not be legal in SP3 regardless. http://forum.44cup.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=665
I agreed with your argument in that thread. Like you said, there is only one weight for each model. So why specify that a partial conversion has to race at the heavier weight? What does that mean?

As the rule is written, partial conversions should be (were?) allowed. But it sounds like the rule is not being interpreted that way anymore.

Sorry to get your hopes up, Gregg. Good luck against Juan and Pablo.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Astroman
Good luck against Juan and Pablo.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 PM
racing916
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said for years they should make it power to weight using the same dyno. That would make gt racing in pca more fair.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by racing916
...they should make it power to weight using the same dyno.
Best idea in theory. Enforcement becomes the issue in execution.

Not that enforcement/cheating is not an issue in any other classes today from what I hear...
Old 03-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcrespo
Best idea in theory. Enforcement becomes the issue in execution.
NASA does it. Why can't PCA? Who thinks the current GT classing system works and why?

If it were hp/wt Gregg would have had an easy decision.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
pmcrespo
Rennlist Member

Agree across all fronts Chris. But coming from NASA myself, I know that enforcement is an issue. Even when a dyno is available on-track at every event, there are issues with cheating by people that can change maps by a flick of a switch or a few high beam flicks, etc.... And yes... I know that one cannot stop some from cheating... and they are the few... etc, etc. But I am just mentioning the enforcement side of the HP/wt formula.

I am certainly all for it and would support it as the current rules make it inpossible for any 4 cylinder water cooled car. Plus it does lend itself to be a deep pocket driven competitiveness curve.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 AM
Ernie J
Pro

Pablo, I was only . 2 slower than Huffer at WG last year, SP3 vs GT5.

Quick Reply: SP3 vs GT5S