Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6'3"/42" waist + 77 911 = what seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 02:34 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts
Default 6'3"/42" waist + 77 911 = what seats?

Hey Folks,

Starting to work on getting my 77 sorted for track duty. I'm a big guy at 6'3" with broad shoulders/hips & a 42" waist. The Sparco EVO 3 is a near perfect fit, so imagine my dismay when I hear that it barely fits in the 911 alone, and definitely won't fit as a pair.

I would like to put 2 seats that I fit in into my 911 so that I can ride right seat with instructors or on road trips with the wife. Unfortunately, I'm too big for the Evo 2. I haven't tried the Evo 2 US but eyeing the dimensions I don't think it will work either.

Werks II is thinking about solutions (possibly offseting to center and placing the passenger seat behind the drivers seat plane). Are there any other suggestions? How does the Recaro SPG XL compare to the evo 3? does a pair fit in our car better? What about the OEM GT2 (foldable) carbon fiber buckets, will they fit?

Thanks!

Corey
Old 03-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Sqweak:
Based on your dimensions the Evo 2 U.S. will be too narrow, in addition possibly being too short if you have a long torso.

With a 42" waist I think the OEM GT2 seats may be too narrow as well for you.

The Recaro SPG XL is a pretty big seat and I think you will have the same problem fitting two of them in your 77 911 side by side since the should wings would hit.

Werks II solution is what you will have to do. Fix mount the passenger seat far enough back for you to fit comfortably on the passenger side and put the sliders on the driver seat. Also because of your height, (and I am sure they already have discussed this with you) it would be worth it for you to have them remove the factory mounting points and fabricate mounts that get the seats lower in the car to give you more headroom.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I had the same issue. The Evo 3 fit me like Goldilocks at The Three Bears' house...it was just right. We ordered it and I got a call from my shop as they were doing the install that the car door wouldn't close. We went with a different alternative: a Kirkey aluminum seat. Comes in a variety of widths and fits in both my 997 and 996 perfectly.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series47

This is the one we got. I've been very happy with it. (You'll also need a seat brace bracket attached to your roll bar for racing purposes.)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Yellow996
I had the same issue. The Evo 3 fit me like Goldilocks at The Three Bears' house...it was just right. We ordered it and I got a call from my shop as they were doing the install that the car door wouldn't close. We went with a different alternative: a Kirkey aluminum seat. Comes in a variety of widths and fits in both my 997 and 996 perfectly.

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.ph...&code=Series47

This is the one we got. I've been very happy with it. (You'll also need a seat brace bracket attached to your roll bar for racing purposes.)
+1
I have the 17". I'm 6'3", 40" waist, very wide shoulders. It fits great and I find it very comfortable. They also sell bolt on accessories if you eventually want to upgrade it to a containment seat.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM
sqweak
Rennlist Member

Received 209 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!

Mark: Thanks so much (btw, love your site!). My personal fitment in them aside for a second (I'm looking for a set to testfit), do you know if a pair of gt2 would fit in the 77? If so, would their wings interfere in the same way as the evo and need the same mounting solution?

David/Michael: Thanks! Yours are not the first recommendations of the Kirkey that I have seen. I should have mentioned that there is still minimal street usage of the car, most significant of which is driving to/from the track. The bareness of the Kirkey has intimidated me for that usage, do either of you use the seat on the street or is it dedicated track for you?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My seats are in dedicated track cars. I have used them for very limited street use in the past and never had a major issue. Although they are fairly 'deep', so ingress and egress could be cumbersome compared to more flat seats.

FWIW...We've installed this seat in our ChumpCar which we regularly do 1.5-2.0 hour stints and none of our drivers have ever complained or even mentioned the seat in a negative way. It is thin, but I find it comfortable. Others may be more sensitive than me, though.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:49 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 143 Posts

Corey:
They could be made to fit with modification. The bottom of the factory sliders have a bend in them to fit in the 996/997 mounting points. The elevated factory mounts would still have to be cut out and a plate made for them to attach to. You are going to want to do this no matter what seats you put in the car, to gain the extra head room, especially if you plan on installing a roll cage in the future so you head isn't too close to the cage and roof.

The Kirkey road race seat variants are pretty comfortable with the padded covers installed. Would be OK for trips to and from the track.

Thanks for the compliments on our website!
Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Along with sitting in many seats until you fine the perfect fit, I would do custom lowered mounts and if you have a sunroof and don't use it, have it deleted and a panel (guy in England makes them) welded in. That alone will get you close to 3" of height and remove close to 25 lb from over your head (I have the actual weights if you want to see them).
Old 03-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

My 996 is race car use only. I had the same seat in my 997s and having the Kirkey was definitely a compromise that was short-lived. After I got the race car, I converted the 997s back to the stock seats to use exclusively for the street.

The Kirkey is comfortable enough for a 90 minute enduro, but I wouldn't want to spend any more time in it than that.

Quick Reply: 6'3"/42" waist + 77 911 = what seats?