Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to do the occasional trackday - be aware of anything?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Want to do the occasional trackday - be aware of anything?

Hi All

I'm planning to do the occasional track day, maybe 1-2 a year in Taupo, NZ. Ambient temps anything from 5-25 degC. Is there anything I need to be aware of before I do? i.e anything apart from having reasonably new oil, brake fluid etc. Do I need to be aware of any oil starvation issues, is there anything I really " should be doing" before tracking the car? tyres will be standard ones. I'm not a really good driver by any stretch....
I'm really wanting to know about technical/maintenance issues rather than how to drive etc.

Cheers

Matt
Old 03-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 844 Likes on 519 Posts

The first thing you should buy is a helmet and the second a good tire pressure gauge. I'd suggest you bleed your brakes at the beginning of the season. Nothing else required (at first).
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, slipping, the slope is quick and slippery. That said, check the pads and bleed the brakes. Take your time, learn as much as you can, and have fun.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:48 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The most important thing you can do is select the right group to run with. As evidenced by another post in this forum some organizations put on better track days than others. If you select the right group you'll have a safe well-organized day with good instruction; if you select the wrong group, not so much.

Not sure what options you have down in NZ, maybe someone else can help with specific recommendations.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:05 AM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Make sure that you have an event with instructors. PCA events are known for good instructions and are run relatively safe and structured compared to other events I participated in. There is lots of stuff you could do but make sure that your car is inspected. There are checklists out there that you can use if you perform your own inspection.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Walls, guardrails, other cars, emergency crews, blue shrubs ... Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:03 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 86 930 Fl
Walls, guardrails, other cars, emergency crews, blue shrubs ... Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:45 PM
ryeske944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out some track notes or lap videos ahead of time once you know the track you will be going to. When you get there, the instructor will show you the proper line and detailed instructions, but seeing the track ahead of time and being broadly familiar with the layout and flow will be one less thing to worry about on your first day.

Congrats, and just a warning that it's addictive!

Quick Reply: Want to do the occasional trackday - be aware of anything?