New AIM Smarty Cam HD test at Sebring

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 02:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Saved our a$$ at Atlanta, once...

I have several GP Hero 2 Naked (camera, battery, USB cable, waterproof case and one stick-on flat mount) for sale for $228, and some really cool billet aluminum surrounds that never allow the plastic ears to break off (and accept 1/4"-20 bolts or stud mount) for $148, but to protect yourself, nearly anything will do.

As long as it's charged, has a card (or plenty of room) in it or just plain works...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I tell every one of my race clients who is not currently running an in car camera to do so ASAP, for this exact reason, Rob. PCA also urges this in rookie meetings, IIRC.

Why exactly?
Old 04-01-2013, 02:56 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

To more expediently and with less conflicting testimony (drivers, workers) assign responsibility for car-to-car incidents. Often, stewards will review several laps before, to get better background on what happened leading up to an incident, to determine the relative competence, courtesy and attitude of the competitors involved.

It makes for better outcomes and a lighter workload for those administering the event, also more consistent in their assessments.

Several pro series require it.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:58 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

But that's only for racing, then.

Then again, it is not going to help in case someone needs to get sanctioned with a stop-and-go or other penalty during the race, since it's not live.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the data analysis capabilities like in the software that comes with this product? Is there capability to do value-vs-distance charts with multi-lap overlays like with the Traqmate software? Sector analysis? Or is this overlaying parameters on video only?
Old 04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

Originally Posted by mglobe
Pardon my ignorance, but what are the data analysis capabilities like in the software that comes with this product? Is there capability to do value-vs-distance charts with multi-lap overlays like with the Traqmate software? Sector analysis? Or is this overlaying parameters on video only?

You can do anything you would like to do in Race Studio 2. Math channels, X-Y scatter plots, overlay laps etc etc. Nothing to worry about there. It is a very powerful tool.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:11 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ir_fuel

Then again, it is not going to help in case someone needs to get sanctioned with a stop-and-go or other penalty during the race, since it's not live.
Yes, only for racing. That's why he referenced his "race clients."

No, not live. But I have seen PUY (passing under yellow) sanctions reversed and finishing positions restored when it was clear from the video no offense occurred.

Of course, there have been times when "the camera didnt work" when the video was damning...
Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
ir_fuel
Drifting

LOL.

I see
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 914 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Jerry and Peter can aswer better, but the SmartyCam will record at least lat and long G, speed, and GPS position, so you can do analysis in RS2 after the session. If you have it hooked to a dash (or CAN network) that gets more channels, I believe it records all of those as well, which can then be analyzed in RS2 as well.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by ProCoach
To more expediently and with less conflicting testimony (drivers, workers) assign responsibility for car-to-car incidents. Often, stewards will review several laps before, to get better background on what happened leading up to an incident, to determine the relative competence, courtesy and attitude of the competitors involved.

It makes for better outcomes and a lighter workload for those administering the event, also more consistent in their assessments.

Several pro series require it.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by ir_fuel
Well...for racing for the reasons stated.

But I also recommend in car cameras for non-racers, too, since they are excellent self coaching tools.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good news and bad news on the HD camera availability. The bad news is that it is out 5 or 6 more weeks. The good news is that they are making many changes/improvements based on our Sebring tests, which I thought went well. Time will tell.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Good news and bad news on the HD camera availability. The bad news is that it is out 5 or 6 more weeks. The good news is that they are making many changes/improvements based on our Sebring tests, which I thought went well. Time will tell.
Any update on the Smartycam HD availability?

I so want to get my grubby hands on one ASAP.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Yes, slow progress forward. Jerry's last estimate looks to be accurate. They're testing the final pre-production batch at ALMS Laguna Seca this coming weekend and if all is well, they'll be released after that.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Exactly what Peter said. We all want them soon. My concern is limited supply (my guess) even after we start getting some in stock.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:33 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Exactly what Peter said. We all want them soon. My concern is limited supply (my guess) even after we start getting some in stock.
Any idea if the new SmartyCam HD GP are shipping yet or any idea if they will be shipping before the end of the summer? I am toying with the idea of getting a camera for my Kart (I could also use it on my 911 ... except that I have lost local access to any full sized race tracks with no replacements in sight yet). I could pick up a Go Pro Hero 3 right now, couple it with a GPS unit from AIM that is connected to the Mychron 4 my Kart has and with the TrackVision software I could make some videos with data logging embedded in it. But the problem with the GoPro Hero approach is I will only be able to produce the video after the fact and is of no use viewing while at the track between sessions, whereas if I am not mistaken the SmartyCam footage can be uploaded to a laptop at the track and viewed then and there. I could also try to pickup a used or new version of the original SmartyCam, but I am a little concerned about the size of the camera and mounting it on my Kart's radiator (where an existing GoPro mount already exists from the previous owner). I like the idea of the new SmartyCam HD GP's bullet camera. Anyway I digress ...

Any idea when these new SmartyCam's will become available? and besides http://www.m-world.us/aim_smartycam_hd.html, are there any other distributors here in North America?

Last edited by My993C2; 07-14-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: New AIM Smarty Cam HD test at Sebring