Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 11:37 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the sweetest moments is that late, smooth two to three gear downshift which ends just as trail braking and turn-in begin. It takes real skill at the edge of traction and half a lifetime to get just right.

Just a meek opinion here, but I'll keep the "old fashioned" stuff in my cars.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarez Mifkin
I'm not as old as VR, but I sure think he's funny how someone with 25 posts on here called him out thinking they were the chosen one.
LOL

+1, Kai. It is a REAL driver differentiator. Versus the zero skill GT-R style (but technically perfect) manumatic PDK.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 166 Posts

To me the difference between manual and auto/PDK is not the difference in the resulting lap time. It is the greater satisfaction I get from earning that better lap time. In a manual I need to concentrate not just on the road but also on the machinery that moves me down the road. Heel and toe is a bitch to get right but when it is done right it gives me more satisfaction than merely the better lap time. It is my mastery of the machine to accomplish the goal, not the machine's mastery that I enjoy most.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
MayorAdamWest
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL

+1, Kai. It is a REAL driver differentiator. Versus the zero skill GT-R style (but technically perfect) manumatic PDK.
I assume you meant me. Saying that driving a PDK requires 0 skill is obviously just the anger about them making it standard coming out. I am sure you know, as everyone else here, that F1, for instance, uses flappy paddles. I'm also sure that most everyone here will beat me around a track with their manual, even though I am in a PDK car - because I am not nearly as skilled. I understand those that enjoy shifting with a clutch will continue to do so. It's not like Porsche is going around collecting all your old cars. The point is, automated gear changes are the future. In fact, no gear changes is the future. The Tesla Model S has just 1 gear, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the next gen all-electric sports cars do the same. I'm sure people complained it took the skill out of driving when they introduced 4WD for the first time, or when they put in the first Turbo such that the car went much faster than the competition. Those of us that adapt will use and embrace the new technology, and those who don't will continue to use what they do today. I see people all the time with flip phones and standard definition TVs. People still hand write letters, and while there is something special about that, it's going to get more and more expensive, and fewer and fewer people will participate.

I think forums like these are great places to meet people with different viewpoints. Like with most anything, there will be a group that resists change, a group that's skeptical, and group that blindly follows. No one is wrong.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:40 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm scared to think what all these things will cost to fix once owners start putting them on track.
Yep. Or what happens if the rear wheel steering has a bad day hiccup doing 140 on the back straight?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

BTW, what's the over/under for 20 pages on this thread?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:11 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 654 Likes on 332 Posts

The concern most driving enthusiasts should have is that this is the beginning of the end of your involved driving experience. A few years back, the then-CEO of Porsche (don't remember which one) was asked why PDK was not offered in the GT3. His response was something to the effect that the GT3 was a special car that appealed to a certain type of driving enthusiast - it's louder, less comfortable, stiffer but more responsive and completely involves and immerses the driver into the driving experience. It's for their extreme Sports Car enthusiast customers, and those customers want the tactile feel of a manual transmission.

Unfortunately it looks like politics and the big VW machine has stepped in and decided to tell the extreme Sports Car enthusiast that they can't have what they want.

As VR said, why bother buying a GT3? Get a Carrera S. Its got plenty of power, handles great, and is a great daily driver. The appeal of the GT3 was not to make your morning commute easier or more comfy, it's to give the driving enthusiast something to really enjoy and produce that visceral "feel" many of us crave.

PDK takes all that away and removes the specialness of the GT3... IMO

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 03-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Meh. When everyone has flappy paddles, and everyone can shift super fast with zero skill needed, where is the advantage? I know from racing that the driver who is really good at shifting up and especially down a manual transmission has a time advantage on track over one who doesn't, all other things being equal. It was a big differentiator. But when everyone has a sequential like in a 997 Cup, the advantages are narrowed to he/she who is better with the clutch timing and better with the blip timing. When everyone has auto blip, it comes down to clutch. And when everyoone has flappy PDK paddles that requires no clutch...what's the point?
That's when it comes down to *****....
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the new rev matching downshift software on the manual has negated some of the need for skill too, so it's not just the PDK...
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM
mx22
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
As VR said, why bother buying a GT3? Get a Carrera S. Its got plenty of power, handles great, and is a great daily driver. The appeal of the GT3 was not to make your morning commute easier or more comfy, it's to give the driving enthusiast something to really enjoy and produce that visceral "feel" many of us crave.

PDK takes all that away and removes the specialness of the GT3... IMO
To me, GT3 is a racing oriented version of 911 first and a street car second. As such, it does make sense that it comes with PDK - its whole purpose is to go around the track faster. I understand your point of view, but apparently Porsche thinks (and I'm sure they will have numbers to back up their thinking) that GT3 clientele is more interested in getting the car around the track faster then getting the pleasure of driving stripped-out car on roads.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by naroescape
The concern most driving enthusiasts should have is that this is the beginning of the end of your involved driving experience.
I've driven manuals, torque converter automatics, PDKs, F1s, DSGs, CVTs, you name it...and I've had involving driving experiences in them all (well maybe not the CVT Audi ).

I understand some of the appeal of a manual, but that's not the end all and be all of the driving experience, and there are so many other ways to enjoy the driving experience.

I'm kind of sad for you guys who can't see that.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:09 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

oh, and this is the only kind of 'rear wheel steering" a GT3 should have

Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
I'm kind of sad for you guys who can't see that.
You may feel as sad as you would like - but you're still not coming around me...
Old 03-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Yellow996
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

The "Rule Change Suggestion Season" for PCA is right around the corner, so I make the following motion:

1. No PDK cars
2. No Caymans...those mid-engine guys are cheating against those of us with fat *** engines in the rear of our cars
3. No one who can outbrake and outshift me in any way

Yeah, that should do it. Now I'll have GTB1 all to myself!
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
That's when it comes down to *****....
or a white wire

Quick Reply: 2014 GT3