pit stop times ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 667 Likes on 322 Posts
Default pit stop times ?

Does anyone else think that PCA should make the enduro pit times available? Seems to me we should be able to review the efficiencies of that important part of a race.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 AM
BigKraut
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes! I was curious about mine in the last club race so I watched my video over and over. Real close to 5 minutes but hard to tell. Would like to know an exact number.

Maybe you can add a poll to this thread and gather some data to support this idea. Not sure if times should be published or just available upon request.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:15 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I for one would not care if they were posted somewhere like Mylaps, have not spoken to anyone who would mind but have spoken to a bunch of racers who would like to know pit times.
Rich
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM
mcongleton
Racer

Rich

Do you have someone in your pit time you "cone to cone"?

Mark
Old 02-12-2013, 11:58 AM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark I announce on the radio when I pass pit in cone, issue always seems to be time to get out of pits including hold ups due to traffic, determining time at pit out cone.
Rich
Old 02-12-2013, 12:19 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You (crew not driver) actually can see the pit stop times using Race Monitor during the race. I compare our driver's lap plus pit stop to others we are racing against during the race to see how much we did. Info after the race is not much value, IMHO. We try to determine time from pit box to pit out during practice.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:35 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

If, like me, you do a 4:59.8 stop, the Steward will let you know immediately via black flag what your time was.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:15 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Old 02-12-2013, 06:52 PM
mcongleton
Racer

Rich

When I leave the box for pit out someone on my radio is counting down the time (to 5 minutes) and lets me determine my speed to hit the pit out cone. Not sure if that helps.

Mark
Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark that is what we do but would it not be interesting to see the actual "official" time as used by the race organization to be able to compare the effort vs the result?
Rich
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
mcongleton
Racer

copy that.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 PM
deutschkar
Rennlist Member

Call me old fashioned but I wear a chronograph wrist watch. Seems to work okay for me.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
uscarrera
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

deutschkar is that not the point you think it works but without knowing the official time how are you sure?
Rich
Old 02-12-2013, 10:30 PM
MikeQuig
Instructor

Correct me everyone, but unless the pit stops are timed and reported by that small army of unskilled volunteers with radios that are thrown out there at the last minute then no one knows your pit stop time better than you. No one in your pit box can gauge when you pass the in/out cones. Chances are a 4:59.8 stop is "close enough". Especially when the mass stops occur around halftime or the lap after a full course yellow goes green. Yes I've velcroded an egg timer to the dash but after one came adrift and wound up in my footwell I've quit that approach. Nothing like coming around to the start and trying to wait until the last minute to start your timer. Concentrated on that so much once that I didn't downshift to second - started in third instead - really gets everyone's attention. I'm much better now - I just look at my watch!

Mike Quigley
SpecBox #23
Old 02-13-2013, 04:31 AM
DanR
Drifting

Pit lane has its own timing loop so the stop lengths are recorded just like lap times.

Originally Posted by MikeQuig
Correct me everyone, but unless the pit stops are timed and reported by that small army of unskilled volunteers with radios that are thrown out there at the last minute then no one knows your pit stop time better than you. No one in your pit box can gauge when you pass the in/out cones. Chances are a 4:59.8 stop is "close enough". Especially when the mass stops occur around halftime or the lap after a full course yellow goes green. Yes I've velcroded an egg timer to the dash but after one came adrift and wound up in my footwell I've quit that approach. Nothing like coming around to the start and trying to wait until the last minute to start your timer. Concentrated on that so much once that I didn't downshift to second - started in third instead - really gets everyone's attention. I'm much better now - I just look at my watch!

Mike Quigley
SpecBox #23

Quick Reply: pit stop times ?